****The Official Mountain Bicycle Gallery Thread****

Soldato
Ok many thanks. Purchased a shock pump yesterday to get front shocks right. Reading up on sag etc.

rolling on a 27.5 Orange Crush Pro

locks Heath way do I’m going out around Chilling atm

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Getting fed up of not finding a decet handlebar that' shorter that also doesn't cost £11 million I decided to take a hacksaw to my stock one and fit some new grips that matched the bike :D

handlebar_cutting.jpg

Old length was 780mm and my mate's Norco has a 750mm bar which I find much nicer. I shaved off 15mm each end. Actually quite demanding sawing a thick alloy bar! I think the blade is now royally bin material lol.

New grips:

grips_raceface_1.jpg

Soldato
What bars are those? They must weigh loads!

You'd struggle to find decent bars nowadays that are 750mm stock. Bars tend to be around 800mm so you can cut them down to size if needed.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No idea what weight it is but the spec states:
Marin 31.8 Riser, 12mm Rise, 780mm Width

This is what it looks like as a whole:

grips_raceface_2.jpg

I didn't think it was too heavy to be honest when I unboxed the bike and built it up. I imagine there are lighter bars out there though and as you say, I can now just cut them down as never really thought about that before. Kinda bummed as saw a nukeproof carbon one not long ago on special deal at chain reaction cycles!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I guess so, Tbh I have no probs with this now with the 750mm length so will keep as is! Managed to scratch the end caps that attach to the lock-on on the grips, didn't realise they were aluminium...

l4p4MZx.png

Kinda forget how nice the local area is really down here on the south coast for MTB. Did over 30 miles today (forgot to start Strava fr a bit at the start...) and covered uphill, downhill, fully dried muddy trails that punished my standard Suntour forks, flooded sections deep enough to dip my crank and narrow cut-through trails through the edges of farmland and then there's the sea views too... Seemed like plenty more to discover in the middle of the top lot so loads of return potential.

Also came across some deer chilling out, along with photo-deer hunters in full camo :D

Associate
20210325-235224.jpg

Job done, full Shimano 11 speed setup installed to replace the broken Box Four 8 speed bits. Quite looking forward to riding this weekend, expect the 46t will be a big difference to the 40t max on the old cassette.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Today was a good day, each ride in the valley we find a new trail area that's deep inside the trees. Plenty to get your steering skills honed for sure :D I also accidentally did my first drop (about 4 feet), riding off a loose gravel path before the woodland and I see a small mound which looks smooth so I think easy I can speed up over it and get some air, turns out the other wide was a straight drop to a flat lol. Dropped no problem and landed rear wheel slightly before the front with my legs on pedals absorbing the hit. Will be going that way again for sure and finding what else is tucked away in there.

Do love this area though, such a nice range of scenery from dirt trails in woodland to breezy seaside for miles to narrow fast trails cutting through various areas. I'm gonna get a torso strap to mount my phone and have it recording in wide angle for some of the valley stuff soon as it's really great fun.

2021.04.04_0700-16_00004.jpg

2021.04.04_0848-32_00016.jpg

2021.04.04_0837-35_00010.jpg

2021.04.04_0740-06_00007.jpg

No ride is complete without fuel...

2021.04.04_0800-10_00008.jpg

Permabanned
Fantastic picture @{SAS}TB Looks a lovely view to take in that.

And @mrk always love seeing pictures of your bike. Well taken and the colour is top. Nice upgrades too.

As long as you enjoy riding it the cost can be ignored I'd say.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I thought that was a mini stone henge at first :o

Cheers, I haven't actually been riding since installing the forks and new inner tubes but Sunday early doors will be out for a few hours, got a new trail route that looked interesting which my mate found so we will venture out to see what it's all about. I can't wait. The front end will feel so light lol. I actually weighed the old forks on more precise scales (kitchen scales :D) and it came in at a shade over 2.9KG so actually a bit heavier than Suntour state online.

Associate
@Indigo - thanks it's local (can cycle there from my door) and a decent assent in a very flat area. The views and sun rises can be stunning in / around / above the forest :)

@mrk ha, not quite - it's a local landmark of standing stones - the central stone depicting Cheshire and the others various other counties and their relative positions

http://www.cheshirenow.co.uk/old_pale.html

What's the riding like around the forest there? I'm just up the road in Manchester and was considering jumping on a train/driving down and going for an explore at some point in the next month or 2.

Soldato
What's the riding like around the forest there? I'm just up the road in Manchester and was considering jumping on a train/driving down and going for an explore at some point in the next month or 2.

It depends what you like / are used to I suppose - it's not technical at all

There are some very flat fire road type paths around the lakes and a few short "trails" off the beaten track and "no brain's" short steep downhill section.

There some more fun / technical stuff off the beaten track. We only meet up there as a matter of convenience with mates as it's a short way from our doors, you can have an hour or two round the forest / up Old Pale then grab a coffee and sandwich from the visitors centre and ride home. It also gets VERY busy so if you are on any of the main routes expect to have to dodge walkers, push chairs, small children, dogs off leads ....

We only go really early and away before 9.00 or after work for a blast round and a few beers in one of the pubs on the way back.

If we are going for a "proper" ride we'd go over to Wales - Llandegla or such, up to the lakes, over into Derbyshire, or Macc Forest, High Peaks etc - all a lot better riding and a damn site quieter.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
First proper ride on the new forks today and it is a night and day difference. Went through the same really rough trail as a few weeks back and the front end was way more composed. Rebound was set to the middle which I found to be perfect. Brilliant little upgrade. I have however got ANOTHER pinch flat on the front! The same trail as the last time it happened so it seems my stock tyres are too thin perhaps for hard riding across this sort of surface. I have ordered the new tubeless tyres and valves as am fed up with this! I lose the tanned wall of the current tyres but that's a compromise I'm happy to make lol.

Even so... Why me Jesus, why???

Pics:

Starting the day with a sunrise...

sunrise.jpg

All the way to Warsash Marina along the coastal-run trails:
warsash_marina.jpg

look_now.jpg

Loop back round another route via the single narrow trails running along The Solent which offers some sweet views and stopping points to take it all in:

solent_bikes.jpg

Some random photos along the same route:
solent_propped.jpg

solent_cliff.jpg

titchfield_bridge.jpg

There is a downhill section along the single track trail there, can get some speed on and we were hauling. Something that wasn't there before was a bit of wire fence sticking out, it caught both of us and my glove was torn. It was cold today so wore the thick gloves and am so glad I did because thin one or even no gloves would have torn my finger apart :eek:

glove_rip.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the Rockshox Judy Gold RL 2021, has made a big difference have to say and the weight saving over the front is noticeable too.

Just gone tubeless so today am completing the final part which is the front tyre which I was having issues with seating. Back tyre went on without a single hitch and has no lost any air in days so I know the rims are up to the task and have been suspecting a dodgy bead on one of the new tyres (Schwalbe Rocket Ron). I now lose the tanned sidewalls but looking at the back wheel fitted, I think it has a different but still cool look, everything is blue or black now.

Not planning anything else soon but I'd like a dropper post in time and that's about it really. Am happy with the current config!

Back
Top Bottom