**** The Official Note 5 thread ****

Man of Honour
SoC and screen power improvements and MM too I'd say.

Note 6 rumoured to have a 4000 mAh battery.

Judging by the latest rumour it will be very good:

The Galaxy Note 6 will feature a 5.8-inch QHD Super AMOLED touchscreen (whether curved or not remains to be seen), the same 12 MP dual pixel camera that's in the S7 and S7 edge, 6GB of RAM, and a 4,000 mAh battery. As for the chipset employed, there are once again two to speak of - a new (but unnamed) version of Samsung's own Exynos 8 Octa (with slightly higher clock speeds than the 8890 in the S7), as well as Qualcomm's Snapdragon 823. It's likely that some markets will get the latter, while most will see Samsung's own silicon, emulating what's happened with the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge.

The internal storage will be 32GB, expandable via a microSD card slot. Samsung will apparently make the Note 6 official a very short while after Google launches Android N, and the Note 6 should run that version of the OS from day one. The Note 6 will of course sport a fingerprint sensor, but it may also come with an iris scanner.

Associate
Having a Note 3 it's time for an upgrade soon, was keen for the S7 Edge until I saw it and wasn't so keen compared to the Note range, so Note 6 is a go. Hopefully the slight rumour of a July release is right as I could do with a new phone asap, but late Summer seems a better estimate.

Associate

The thing you have to weigh up with any upgrade is will the phone be a significant step up from the previous model to warrant it's price point, the rumoured price on the Note 6 will make it a hefty investment.

I'm as guilty as the next person at wanting the latest tech, i think at some point you have to say to yourself does my current phone do everything i need and does it do it quickly.

The 32GB storage is plenty for what i need, music is mainly what i use the storage for to listen to music, the battery life is more than enough because it easily gets me through a day with quite a bit to spare, the Note 5 is blindingly quick and smooth, it takes great photos, i like Marshmallow so far with the bigger icons.

At the end of the day it's just a phone but it's great to have a phone that you really enjoy using, i'm not sure i've said that about any past phone i've had, i've liked them but each one has had it's quirks like the Note 4 with the speaker on the back which wasn't the greatest idea to position it there, this current phone is as close to what i want from a phone that i've had in my hand so far.

The point i was making really, will the Note 6 really justify a price of £600 - £700 compared to a Note 5 that you can pick up for around £400 now, less if you find one in the classifieds on a tech forum. It would need to be something very special to make it £200 - £300 better than a Note 5, i'd want it to make my breakfast and tea for that kind of money and do the dishes and ironing.

Last edited:
Soldato

It does indeed. My wife is still on her Note 3 so this seems just the ticket.

The point i was making really, will the Note 6 really justify a price of £600 - £700 compared to a Note 5 that you can pick up for around £400 now, less if you find one in the classifieds on a tech forum. It would need to be something very special to make it £200 - £300 better than a Note 5, i'd want it to make my breakfast and tea for that kind of money and do the dishes and ironing.

Upgrading year on year is never value for money. 2-3 years then yes.

Soldato
I've never used Smart Switch before, but I open it, white screen for a split second then drop to desktop. No FC though. Maybe I've disabled something it needs?

**EDIT** Clearly it was. Enabled all for now.

Mind you, it says mine is up to date with PB9?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Permabanned
I've never used Smart Switch before, but I open it, white screen for a split second then drop to desktop. No FC though. Maybe I've disabled something it needs?

**EDIT** Clearly it was. Enabled all for now.

Mind you, it says mine is up to date with PB9?

Mine says PB9 as well.

Nothing showing on smart switch.

Caporegime
My point is having a 4K screen which taxes all resources just to have VR on a phone is not a good a idea in terms of battery stamina. And anything properly graphics intensive just won't happen on 4K with a phone GPU.

I understand this is just my view and others will want to have a 4K screen just for VR.

Out of curiosity given the incredibly hogh pixel density of a 4k phone screen.

Could you not have a 4k screen that only uses some of the pixels (thus lowering the resolution effectivly) so youd get battery savings at a loss of brightness efrectivly.

So like every 1 out of 4 pixels is turned off

Soldato

Could you not have a 4k screen that only uses some of the pixels (thus lowering the resolution effectivly) so youd get battery savings at a loss of brightness efrectivly.

Best case scenario you lose a quarter of the brightness wouldn't you? You might then end up turning brightness up and you're back to square one!

Caporegime
Best case scenario you lose a quarter of the brightness wouldn't you? You might then end up turning brightness up and you're back to square one!

depemnds if increaseing the brightness of X number of pizes is as much iof an energy cost of running Y number of pixels at a lower brightness

Soldato

In my head it sound like the PQ might look a bit weird losing a pixel in every 4. Even with such a dense resolution.

In other news the Note 6 sounds like an absolute beast from rumours...6GB RAM and 4000mAh+ battery. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom