• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Both these cards will have 8GB, no way would Nvidia release a 4GB now lol! From everything I've read, 1080 will have 8GB GDDR5X and the 1070 8GB GDDR5. That's a safe bet now I'd say. What will be interesting is price point and how much more the 1080 offers over the 980Ti. I am guessing 10-15% minimum... if it isn't at least that, they won't be selling very many given how well the 980Ti has sold. People will just hold out for HBM2 cards.

Soldato
isn't it a little bit too early for GDDR5X.
Yes it is.

But this may be why there's an apparent 3 tiers of GP104. It might be that we get a 1080Ti later on in the year with GDDR5X, whereas GP100 gets HBM2 and the big die, creating a decent enough gap to even the max GP104 and justifying the $700+ pricetag it'll(they'll) likely have.

Caporegime
The chips on that sample are GDDR5x 10Gbps chips, interestingly Micron don't list them as in production (as all gddr5) or sampling (as the 11 and 12Gbps gddr5x) but contact factory.

The bottom line of the code on the chips, Z9TXT is the fpga code on micron memory and you can use that code on micron's site to find what product it relates to.

At 10Gbps you're seeing a 25% increase in bandwidth over gddr5 8Gbps so nothing massive, though likely with some increased latency as you get when you increase speeds. Certainly no where near double the bandwidth. Still at this stage you'd expect something not listed as in production to have fairly low availability.

Soldato
The chips on that sample are GDDR5x 10Gbps chips, interestingly Micron don't list them as in production (as all gddr5) or sampling (as the 11 and 12Gbps gddr5x) but contact factory.

The bottom line of the code on the chips, Z9TXT is the fpga code on micron memory and you can use that code on micron's site to find what product it relates to.

At 10Gbps you're seeing a 25% increase in bandwidth over gddr5 8Gbps so nothing massive, though likely with some increased latency as you get when you increase speeds. Certainly no where near double the bandwidth. Still at this stage you'd expect something not listed as in production to have fairly low availability.

then that code doesn't make any sense to micron`s format

Date codes are alphanumeric characters that indicate the year and workweek the parts were marked, in even-numbered workweeks. The first character is the last number in the year, and the second (alpha) character is the workweek (see below).

https://www.micron.com/support/docu...D2BA3F3-DFA8-439B-89B4-E5A5B2B7E1D6}&view=all

last pdf in the link

Caporegime
FBGA packaged components that says, not FBGA code. The first line on the package itself is 6GA77, 6 being the last number in the year and G meaning work week 14. The samples were made between April 4th and 10th. That is engineering sample as denoted by the ES in the code here

https://www.micron.com/support/fbga?fbga=z9txt

I'd be very surprised if they went from engineering samples of chips made mid April and likely first cards put together literally days before that image was leaked and release in July. Micron have all the way through said mass production of gddr5x starts mid year.

Soldato
Do we have any best guesses for the arrival of cards from both sides - top end and mid range in particular? - Very interested to see them even if I don't buy until Autumn/Christmas.

Soldato
Even if they somehow did end up using GDDR5X it's nothing to get excited about.

I bet they will tout it as super advanced and make a demo that supposedly "couldn't be done before, but now, with the new superduper GDDR5Xtreme memory...". Then use it as an excuse to charge £600 for a 5% uplift in 2 Ubisoft titles. Meanwhile they got a deal from Micron for being early adopters and helping to hype it and laugh all the way to the bank as usual.

Cue the "is the 1080 the best card ever made?" threads.

Come, sweet death, I am ready for your embrace.

Soldato
if the published numbers are right - 256bit interface , then this wonder ram will go to 448 GB/s

zotac`s GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme Edition is at 346 GB/s with 7200mhz ram - if a card comes out with 8ghz GDDR5 it`ll be around 886 GB/s on a GTX 980ti - and ram isn't the limiting factor @4k

Caporegime
if the published numbers are right - 256bit interface , then this wonder ram will go to 448 GB/s

zotac`s GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme Edition is at 346 GB/s with 7200mhz ram - if a card comes out with 8ghz GDDR5 it`ll be around 886 GB/s on a GTX 980ti - and ram isn't the limiting factor @4k

One it's 10Gbps memory, meaning 320GB/s on a 256bit bus. 14Gbps is the highest speed they aim to achieve over time, not the speeds available from the first chips.

As for the 980ti stuff, what on earth, GDDR5x isn't a swap in replacement, it's not compatible with gddr5, it's pin compatible but the memory controller has to support it. 980ti has zero support for GDDR5x and again even if it did again with the chips actually available it would be 480GB/s, I have absolutely no idea at all where you came up with 886GB/s. The 980ti has a 384bit bus, divide by 8(bits in a byte) and times by the speed of the memory. 14Gbps, the stuff that isn't even close to available yet not planned any time in the next year, you would still only achieve 672GB/s.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'll just look thru 126 pages...

:rolleyes:

He is kinda right. You don't need to look through any of the pages as you won't see any act based comments with release dates. nvidia is keeping very tight lipped this time around. They only talked about Tesla based GP100 which is for supercomputers only and will be available sometime next year.

Back
Top Bottom