• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
well does it look like we could finally be getting pascal in a few weeks time?
Looking at all the reports and rumors a few tech sites seems to think we'll get reviews mid may whilst a few are reporting they could be hitting retail before computex.
If it's going to be like maxwell we'll get it in the second week of may, as maxwell launched 1 week after the editors event in 2014 with reports saying editors event will be next week, could we finally be getting our hands on pascal in the coming weeks?

Caporegime
For nVidia to beat AMD to the punch on this round is quite interesting, AMD usually are the first with a new node aren't they? Lack of resources? GF problems?

Whatever it is I hope they get them out soon! They can't afford to be left behind imo

Man of Honour
For nVidia to beat AMD to the punch on this round is quite interesting, AMD usually are the first with a new node aren't they? Lack of resources? GF problems?

Whatever it is I hope they get them out soon! They can't afford to be left behind imo

The path from 28nm has been convoluted and AMD's was further complicated by moving away from TSMC.

Soldato
980 is about 20% faster than a 970. Ti is between 40-50% faster than a 970. In the majority of games. Put it this way 970 SLI is about equivalent give or take a few fps to a 980Ti.

I think a 1080 being 30% faster is quite likely, just depends how well they take advantage of the new shrink and architecture. I'm hoping it will be more. We will find out soon enough I guess.

I'll still be waiting for the Ti if there is one that is.

Soldato

It depends on who is shipping more in volume though especially to OEMs. It will be interesting to see who has more actual design wins come June. After all,we still have not seen any actual Pascal consumer cards in action,not seen any leaked specs on websites or even any assembled cards.We know Polaris 10 is probably 232mm2,has at least 2304 shaders,is currently running at 800MHZ and is a short card. We have seen it in action. For instance we know the Polaris 10 card can fit in an Elite 110.

We have only seen maybe two GPU shots and a picture of the cooler with the GP104. We have yet to see any actual third party designs or coolers leaked yet,let alone an assembled card. This is only a month to the supposed launch. At this relative point in time we had seen far more about the GK104 based cards for instance.

It does make me wonder if this will become the battle of the paper launches,or a soft one with like barely any cards(yes,Fury X I am looking at you).

Last edited:
Caporegime
It depends on who is shipping more in volume though especially to OEMs. It will be interesting to see who has more actual design wins come June. After all,we still have not seen any actual Pascal consumer cards in action,not seen any leaked specs on websites or even any assembled cards.We know Polaris 10 is probably 232mm2,has at least 2304 shaders,is currently running at 800MHZ and is a short card. We have seen it in action. For instance we know the Polaris 10 card can fit in an Elite 110.

We have only seen maybe two GPU shots and a picture of the cooler with the GP104. We have yet to see any actual third party designs or coolers leaked yet,let alone an assembled card. This is only a month to the supposed launch. At this relative point in time we had seen far more about the GK104 based cards for instance.

It does make me wonder if this will become the battle of the paper launches,or a soft one with like barely any cards(yes,Fury X I am looking at you).

I might be wrong but I seem to remember there being very little confirmed info or pics of the 970 and 980 before they launched...

Soldato
I might be wrong but I seem to remember there being very little confirmed info or pics of the 970 and 980 before they launched...

More noise than consumer Pascal though.

We simply don't know who is shipping in volume first?

What we know from AMD is they said middle of the year but it could mean prebuilt systems,Nvidia has said the first trickle of GP100 based systems this year with OEM availability early next year. Vega will be probably early next year and the smaller GP106 is probably later on in the year going from what Nvidia has said about the Drive PX2.

Anyway,we will soon find out.

Last edited:
Soldato
More noise than consumer Pascal though.

Yes and when Amd had demoed a card all Nvidia was on about was cars which is strangle to be honest as normally they would say something to get a PR win to try and take the focus off AMD, but they stay quiet about gaming which they never do.

When 970 and 980 launched Nvidia must have known Amd never had anything to reply with so they never needed to say a thing which gave a bigger impact when they launched, they could be doing the same but to let Amd have the lime light for months is some thing Nvidia normally would never do.

Man of Honour
Yes and when Amd had demoed a card all Nvidia was on about was cars which is strangle to be honest as normally they would say something to get a PR win to try and take the focus off AMD, but they stay quiet about gaming which they never do.

When 970 and 980 launched Nvidia must have known Amd never had anything to reply with so they never needed to say a thing which gave a bigger impact when they launched, they could be doing the same but to let Amd have the lime light for months is some thing Nvidia normally would never do.

It might be because they won't be competing directly in the same segments quite as much as in the past.

Soldato

Well my main concern,is there will be laptops and prebuilt systems using the Pascal GPUs. We don't even have any leaks from laptops which seems weird IMHO.

You would expect it by now,as it looks like a lot of the Polaris leaks my be laptop versions going by their low clockspeeds too.

Surely,they can't be still using Maxwell in that segment?? :confused:

It might be because they won't be competing directly in the same segments quite as much as in the past.

So do you think Pascal is mostly being targetted for higher end desktop,and AMD going for lower end and midrange desktops first and prebuilt laptops and desktops?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whether Nvidia have showed cards or not is meaningless :p

The possibilities are endless, however cards at every single meaningful launch to date (ie every launch in the past 15 years) has had leaks, cards shown to press and samples sent out to partners months ahead of any launch.

Could Nvidia launch in say a month, sure, it's possible. Maybe Nvidia got production going and managed to keep every leak utterly silent, every picture of a card and ran a total radio silent preproduction campaign not telling any media anything at all(off the record either, because this stuff always leaks).

Anyone can jump start a launch by launching at that 50 a month $2000 cost phase if they really want to and I won't even deny it's a real launch if you can get any cards out but it's also sensible to compare the stage at which a launch is done. If Nvidia launch GM204 with 500 available a month in June but only reach 50k a month and a real profit in December and AMD launch in July with 50k a month... who is 'ahead'. You can always jump start a launch either with no(Fermi) or limited(maybe Pascal) volume but you would be comparing apples to oranges and if you can't actually buy one... it's certainly up for debate if it would be considered a real launch.

Again I'll point back to Maxwell GM204, the first dates on the first die shots leaked were mid may, the cards launched in mid September, 4 months and frankly that is fairly average when talking about die shot leaks to launch because that is usually how long it takes to check over the first real batches back from fabs, test, find problems/work arounds and work on drivers as well as send the all clear back to the fab to start mass production and get 2 cycles of wafers back to launch together. So if Pascal's first die shots have dates for mid April... when would you guess the chips might launch.

Also keeping in mind that tape out, testing and manufacturing all take longer at 14/16nm.

My guess is that AMD will be 6 months from first dies running to launch, Nvidia will be maybe 4-6 months and if they come earlier it will be through extremely low production volume semi paper launches.

Caporegime
The possibilities are endless, however cards at every single meaningful launch to date (ie every launch in the past 15 years) has had leaks, cards shown to press and samples sent out to partners months ahead of any launch.

Could Nvidia launch in say a month, sure, it's possible. Maybe Nvidia got production going and managed to keep every leak utterly silent, every picture of a card and ran a total radio silent preproduction campaign not telling any media anything at all(off the record either, because this stuff always leaks).

Anyone can jump start a launch by launching at that 50 a month $2000 cost phase if they really want to and I won't even deny it's a real launch if you can get any cards out but it's also sensible to compare the stage at which a launch is done. If Nvidia launch GM204 with 500 available a month in June but only reach 50k a month and a real profit in December and AMD launch in July with 50k a month... who is 'ahead'. You can always jump start a launch either with no(Fermi) or limited(maybe Pascal) volume but you would be comparing apples to oranges and if you can't actually buy one... it's certainly up for debate if it would be considered a real launch.

Again I'll point back to Maxwell GM204, the first dates on the first die shots leaked were mid may, the cards launched in mid September, 4 months and frankly that is fairly average when talking about die shot leaks to launch because that is usually how long it takes to check over the first real batches back from fabs, test, find problems/work arounds and work on drivers as well as send the all clear back to the fab to start mass production and get 2 cycles of wafers back to launch together. So if Pascal's first die shots have dates for mid April... when would you guess the chips might launch.

Also keeping in mind that tape out, testing and manufacturing all take longer at 14/16nm.

My guess is that AMD will be 6 months from first dies running to launch, Nvidia will be maybe 4-6 months and if they come earlier it will be through extremely low production volume semi paper launches.

Only smarties have the answer.

Back
Top Bottom