• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
It makes me wonder what AMD has being for the last six months with its cards,LOL! :p

http://www.overclock.net/t/1598845/gfxbench-polaris-10-benchmarks-found/80

After read this, I realised what AMD did in the last 6 months was attempted to fix design issues and Radeon Technologies Group first experience with GlobalFoundries 14nm had gone horrible wrong. But around 14,000 GPU points in 3DMark 11 Performance is much lower than GTX 970/980/980 Ti, R9 390/390X/Fury. I checked Futuremark database found R9 380X matched Polaris 10 GPU score.

If Polaris 10 is just as fast as R9 380X turned true as AMD claimed Polaris 10 target mainstream then AMD messed up big time decided to go for GlobalFoundries 14nm. They should had stayed with TSMC, Polaris 10 fabbed by TSMC 16nm should performed like 390X, not 380X.

Associate
All of those saying AMD has shown a card and NVidia hasn't...
I think AMD needs to hype things as they are desperate to keep investors interested. Rebember Buldozzer hype that was going on for years and years and then it was meh? Mantle? Rebranding rebrands?
NVidia and Intel tend to stay quiet. Even when they have beast coming up (1st. Gen of i7 on x58, SandyBridge etc). Then they just drop a new range and suddenly everyone forgets previous generation. So AMD showing off more details means nothing. Same with fury and it's HBM. A lot of hype for a long time and then? Good old 980Ti still kills it. It's just different marketing strategy. AMD can't afford to be quiet. They aren't Apple, Intel, MS, NVidia or Creative with cash piles and secured place on a market no matter what they do.

Caporegime
Whoa! Next week 6 days left, I am so exciting. :D

Wonder if it will be hard launch or paper launch? Guess it could be paper launch and stocks hit retailers mass quantity in June.

Paper launch according to WCCF, but beating AMD to launch.

Nvidia’s next generation Pascal lineup launching on 6th May, will hit the shelves in June – beats AMD to market

Nvidia will be following an interesting release schedule for the information this time around. The Editor’s Event that Nvidia is hosting will be closed to the public eye and will basically be a briefing about the upcoming Nvidia lineup. The time line, according to the information we currently have, is as follows:

Our sources tell us that the Editor’s Event will only be for information dissemination. Nvidia has at least two SKUs ready for the event (Source) .

Reviews are expected to go live within a few weeks after that (Mid-May)

The cards will have a hard launch at Computex 2016 (Market Availability in June).

http://wccftech.com/geforce-gtx-1080-gtx-1070-launching-6th-may-market-june/

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
"The only remaining mystery is the price, but we believe GTX 1080 will retail for $449-499, with GTX 1070 setting you back for $379-399. Should AMD’s Polaris 10 i.e. Radeon R9 490 prove a performance competitor, Nvidia will have a strong battle on their hands, as AMD is aiming to undercut Nvidia by $50-100 per chip."

is it that different from now?
we wont get a idea until some1 overclocks them anyway i guess :p

Permabanned
£500 for a GDDR5X 8GB 16nm Pascal then, This happens every year i guess middle of june too? Sigh there better be another killer feature hardly used my 980 at all due to lack of power sigh.

The only thing that would perk me up would be for the 1070 to have full 8GB not 7.5GB and split screen rendering SLI to take off and resign microstutter to history. I reckon i could get a good bargain with the 1070's you will probably be able to get two 1070 for £600 or a single £500 1080.

Happens every year, Without fail and i always take the single. I will be getting one though for sure!

Soldato
split screen rendering SLI to take off and resign microstutter to history.

SFR scissors was used in SLI for a good few years. But Amd and Nvidia went with AFR since it is easier to keep the GPU's synched when doing DX11 type mGPU.

You don't have the same problems with Explicit mGPU, but it is up to the developer to make an AFR or SFR-type implementation.

Associate
Guys noob question but what actually is a paper launch do Nvidia just announce the cards to us without them hitting the shelves, so could we be getting a glimpse of pascal on 6th may? or probably second week into may when we see reviews?

Associate
Guys noob question but what actually is a paper launch do Nvidia just announce the cards to us without them hitting the shelves, so could we be getting a glimpse of pascal on 6th may? or probably second week into may when we see reviews?

Yeah, essentially they tell you the specs of the cards and maybe show a physical one at a press event, but then you can't buy it for a few weeks/months.

Caporegime
Was the 980 a £300 card? NVM that was the 970 even a £300 card on release?

Why are people expecting it to be so cheap? this new process/node is much more expensive to fab on so i doubt its going to be cheaper.

Well the 970 did pretty much match the 780TI for ~£270....

Associate
the 570 was a sub £300 card
the 670 was a £330 card
the 770 was a £330 card
the 970 was a £275 card

this is where you get absolute performance without spending so much money and not having to have the absolute best. the 970 was the best card for Nvidia they're sure going to want a repeat of that, so 980 Ti performance at around the £300 mark is definitely not out of the question

Caporegime
the 570 was a sub £300 card
the 670 was a £330 card
the 770 was a £330 card
the 970 was a £275 card

this is where you get absolute performance without spending so much money and not having to have the absolute best. the 970 was the best card for Nvidia they're sure going to want a repeat of that, so 980 Ti performance at around the £300 mark is definitely not out of the question

Indeed, and historically the X70 has normally matched (or even surpassed in some cases) the previous top tier card. In fact for all those X70 cards you listed, that has been the case.

bru

bru

Soldato
Now now people ease up on DM he did use at least 10 words to say that NVidia could launch first, followed by several hundred words saying that they couldn't. :p

Back
Top Bottom