• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
My uneducated guess is that they'll release for the 970 market first, that's where all the money is (proven by 970 sales) with enthusiast parts to come later, or probably mirror the 980 scenario where people think they're buying the top card only for the Titan and Ti to follow.

I think they have two very different markets now and the product line has to accommodate for this - you have the bread and butter gamers who probably top out at a 970/980 level, these cards have to be marketed as the top end of real world gaming so they appeal.

Then they have to market cards like the Titan and Ti towards the enthusiasts/benchers/nutters so that the 970/980 crowd don't feel let down, if Nv marketed the full fat cards at out-and-out gamers then they'd pull the rug out from under their own bread and butter customers who buy *70 cards by the Chinese shipping container load.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't forget, not only we jumping two processes, we are getting a brand new architecture also, plus hbm2 to boot. This better be good! Anything less than double is fail.

Soldato
My uneducated guess is that they'll release for the 970 market first, that's where all the money is (proven by 970 sales) with enthusiast parts to come later, or probably mirror the 980 scenario where people think they're buying the top card only for the Titan and Ti to follow.

I think they have two very different markets now and the product line has to accommodate for this - you have the bread and butter gamers who probably top out at a 970/980 level, these cards have to be marketed as the top end of real world gaming so they appeal.

Then they have to market cards like the Titan and Ti towards the enthusiasts/benchers/nutters so that the 970/980 crowd don't feel let down, if Nv marketed the full fat cards at out-and-out gamers then they'd pull the rug out from under their own bread and butter customers who buy *70 cards by the Chinese shipping container load.

That is actual very clever. Everyone is happy and Nvidia maximise their sales. AMD could learn a few things regarding smoke and mirrors ;)

I'm a nutter without the budget hence the 7970's and skipping a few generations. Ready for this next one though. Time for a single cool and powerful card.

bru

bru

Soldato
The 28nm to 16nm drop in node is far far closer to the 40nm to 28nm drop than 55/65 > 28nm.

Ok even if you look at it like that, we are talking about the difference between a 580 to a 680 (best full fat 40nm card to first upper mid range part) the 680 is still 20-25% faster with only 500 million more transistors (3000M to 3500M)

So bearing that in mind and too respond to the naysayers in the thread thinking that the new midrange part wont be as fast as the currant 980ti is just daft.

Dissclaimer ( this post is my own opinion and as such is probably complete nonsense)

Soldato
The GTX660 and HD7870 pretty much matched or exceeded the GTX580 and HD6970 in many games so I expect the next midrange cards to do the same with the GTX980TI and Fury X. The HD5850 and GTX460 pretty much matched or exceeded the GTX285 too.

Associate
I'm hoping AMD are also brewing something fantastic. From reading the posts here it seems like we might have the potential for a jump in performance that's not been seen for a long time. However, without a decent competing product from AMD Nvidia might well either a) release a card that is not representative of Pascal's potential - but enough to trump the AMD equivalent by 15-20% or b) charge a completely ludicrous price for a card that simply has no competitor at all.

Completely torn as to whether to upgrade to a 980ti now (and SLI when Pascal arrives) or wait it out.

Associate
I want to upgrade my monitor but it seems pointless at the moment - need moar powerful GPU for satisfactory performance.

Isn't this always the case, though? The highest available resolution always seems just out of reach for all single-card solutions. Then, when a card finally arrives that can provide excellent framerates along with the quality settings we all love there is a new, vastly larger resolution on the scene that restarts the process!

Soldato
Isn't this always the case, though? The highest available resolution always seems just out of reach for all single-card solutions. Then, when a card finally arrives that can provide excellent framerates along with the quality settings we all love there is a new, vastly larger resolution on the scene that restarts the process!

The end is in sight.

Then holographic screens come along. :D

Soldato
OP
I for one won't be falling for that trap again! :p

Same, Not going to be getting the 980 GM204 type pascal, Give me the near full fat Ti :)

Hey, nothing wrong with 980's, I'm enjoying mine :p

Might consider a move when the Pascal '980Ti' equivalent is unveiled though. Hoping for more than 6GB of VRAM on it. 8 would be good.

Yeah holding out for a full fat card with 8GB+ also. That would be worth some coin to me. Really don't want the pretend high stuff this time around lol.

'Titan' or 'Ti' Pascal with 8GB+ HBM 2.0 would be awesome. Saving my pennies until these bad boys appear..

Associate
How far into each products life-cycle do the Ti variants tend to appear? I doubt I'll be interested in the Pascal Titan (if the 'more VRAM but similar performance for twice the price' pattern continues) but would love a Pascal Ti. I'm wondering if I should grab a 980ti now, and maybe another upon Pascal's release (which will hopefully cut Maxwell prices) and then wait for the Pascal ti?

Man of Honour
980Ti price will plummet when first Pascals start hitting, since the performance should be similar, so it would be a big investment to go 980Ti now I think. I wouldn't, which is why I opted for 980's in the end. I don't feel like I'm losing too much money later that way.

Back
Top Bottom