• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
How far into each products life-cycle do the Ti variants tend to appear? I doubt I'll be interested in the Pascal Titan (if the 'more VRAM but similar performance for twice the price' pattern continues) but would love a Pascal Ti. I'm wondering if I should grab a 980ti now, and maybe another upon Pascal's release (which will hopefully cut Maxwell prices) and then wait for the Pascal ti?

I think they always show up last...

OG Titan -> 780 -> 780Ti
980 -> TX -> 980Ti

Associate
980Ti price will plummet when first Pascals start hitting, since the performance should be similar, so it would be a big investment to go 980Ti now I think. I wouldn't, which is why I opted for 980's in the end. I don't feel like I'm losing too much money later that way.

This is always a problem when it comes to upgrading your GPU`s older generations will always be stepped down in price until discontinued but I would say the Titan cards will take the biggest hit this time round.

Soldato
980Ti price will plummet when first Pascals start hitting, since the performance should be similar, so it would be a big investment to go 980Ti now I think. I wouldn't, which is why I opted for 980's in the end. I don't feel like I'm losing too much money later that way.

What card did you come from? I think many will still prefer to get the 980 Ti and take the hit when the time comes,or just hold onto it for a while even when the new cards come out. I'd want performance now I was buying a gaming card - not buy sub-par now and put up with lower settings/performance for x number of months. So,if I were buying now I'd get Ti :)

Any rumours for when next year?
No idea. I'm thinking by end of March something new will be out.

Man of Honour
What card did you come from?

2x 780. While not a huge bump in performance the extra GB of VRAM helps with my 1440p monitor and I was kind of pushed by the fact both of my 780s failed within days of each other. Both had merely days left of their warranties so I'm going to get something from the RMA... no idea what. Hadn't even used them heavily, I think Skyrim modded to the max killed them :p

So it was a choice between getting more 780s, or going 980s as I couldn't justify the 980Ti cost and the whole debacle with the 970 having 'fake' VRAM pushed me away from those.

Soldato
OP
My waiting for Pascal lasted about 3-4 weeks lol. My nephew needed a GPU so he had my 960 4GB and I have another 980 Ti on order :o. Oh well at least I can max the latest games until Pascal arrives.

Do we still think Pascal is about 5 months away?

Man of Honour
Any rumours for when next year?

As a rough guide a range of upcoming 16nm FF+ based products have launch dates between Dec 2015 and June 2016 so I'd expect it to be somewhere between those dates - probably towards the end of the range for a more complex product like a GPU.

Theoretically nVidia could punch out a <300mm design and have it to retail by Christmas as things stand but I very much doubt that would happen.

Soldato
OP
Why didn't you just buy him a 960 lol.

Boom I dread to think how much you've wasted and ended up with the same card/performance :D

We need Joe Pasquale cards now :mad:

Ha, I would have done but couldn't find any good deals. Mine was £110 for the 4GB. Just let him have that. Thought I would pick up something a bit better for Fallout 4, Battlefront etc for my PC. When looking at what cards to buy, 970 memory issue put me off and 980 priced to close to 980 Ti. Didn't fancy an AMD card..

I know it's probably a paradox due to the price but the 980 Ti seems the best value Nvidia card because of it's performance. If you compare to similar priced AMD cards and Nvidia's own stack the 980 Ti gives so much performance for £500.

Anyways ordered now, not had an EVGA card in ages looking forward to trying this and a whole bunch of new games. Ended up with 2 free games I wanted anyway so this EVGA SC cost me under £500. Not bad tbh.

Back
Top Bottom