• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Re inflation nvidia are milking it re tech and price hiking as there is no real competition from AMD...

I can't fully agree, the price difference that I've paid between 980>980ti>1080 has been roughly £70 each time.

£140 increase over a couple of years isn't exactly rinsing the market and taking the ****.

That's not considerably different to say an iPhone which goes up around £50 a year with each new model.

Associate
I can't fully agree, the price difference that I've paid between 980>980ti>1080 has been roughly £70 each time.

£140 increase over a couple of years isn't exactly rinsing the market and taking the ****.

That's not considerably different to say an iPhone which goes up around £50 a year with each new model.

Thats the thing apple well there a in a league of there own and to which nvidia want to be like ...

But going at this rate then by the time 1200's are about we could be talking £1000 for a mid range card

dread to think what a budget card will cost ..then they will wonder why there are not many gamers on a pc and now all on consoles but by then we could have consoles by Nvidia and or AMD so win win for them ....

whats makes a pc great is it open architecture and the day this architecture is closed i'm out

I know i may be far out but just a thought

Soldato
Thats the thing apple well there a in a league of there own and to which nvidia want to be like ...

But going at this rate then by the time 1200's are about we could be talking £1000 for a mid range card

dread to think what a budget card will cost ..then they will wonder why there are not many gamers on a pc and now all on consoles but by then we could have consoles by Nvidia and or AMD so win win for them ....

whats makes a pc great is it open architecture and the day this architecture is closed i'm out

I know i may be far out but just a thought

Completely off topic, but what about Apple being in a league of own?

You are saying that all the other Android and Windows phones are not matching up to Apple by a huge amount?

The Apple vs Android market I would say is very similar to that of Nvidia AMD in terms of people viewing sides very differently and that each one is better at specific things that people argue over with one offering a much more closed system than the other.

The price gouging on products was there but that now all phone makers are doing it and this is what will happen when AMD is seen more by the masses to be a true competitor.

It won't bring prices down at all, AMD will just match that of Nvidia.

I am not getting into which is better on either of these views as I own both brands in both fields in this example and am happy with both tbh.

Soldato
You do need some still. But things like MSAAx4 or 8 become quite redundant.

At 3440x1440 (110PPI) I would say 2x is needed, 4x is better but too much performance, 8x looks really nice but is a slideshow. 2xAA looks decent enough, but if I could run 4x or 8x then I would because I can notice the difference.

Associate
Completely off topic, but what about Apple being in a league of own?

You are saying that all the other Android and Windows phones are not matching up to Apple by a huge amount?

The Apple vs Android market I would say is very similar to that of Nvidia AMD in terms of people viewing sides very differently and that each one is better at specific things that people argue over with one offering a much more closed system than the other.

The price gouging on products was there but that now all phone makers are doing it and this is what will happen when AMD is seen more by the masses to be a true competitor.

It won't bring prices down at all, AMD will just match that of Nvidia.

I am not getting into which is better on either of these views as I own both brands in both fields in this example and am happy with both tbh.

I agree with most of this, I own Apple and Android, NVidia and have been an AMD owner (both cards and CPUs).

The thing is, it isn't price gouging if its an overall trend. It's the norm.

Look at release prices of the Xbox One and PS4, I am totally confident that the refreshed versions will have a premium on them as well.

Almost all of the technology that we buy has a fairly linear price curve generation to generation (regardless of the perceived performance amount the upgrade provides).

But maybe I'm alone in thinking that.... I have a strange perception on monetary value of things.

Associate
I've tried it and can notice a difference with high levels of AA.

Anyone who thinks AA will go away after 4K is wrong.

Agree, especially as you still get temporal aliasing no matter what res. I'm at 1440p and could turn AA of completely or use FXAA but I cant stand the shimmering you get when moving around especially in GTAV although some games are better at AA than others. So usually TXAA x2 is pretty good I find.

4K may improve things even more though...ive not seen a 4K monitor :)

Associate
I agree with most of this, I own Apple and Android, NVidia and have been an AMD owner (both cards and CPUs).
The thing is, it isn't price gouging if its an overall trend. It's the norm.
Look at release prices of the Xbox One and PS4, I am totally confident that the refreshed versions will have a premium on them as well.
Almost all of the technology that we buy has a fairly linear price curve generation to generation (regardless of the perceived performance amount the upgrade provides).
But maybe I'm alone in thinking that.... I have a strange perception on monetary value of things.
I think this is quite a good way of looking at this, they are only doing what they can get away with which is charging as much as the customer will pay (Most businesses have this goal) so as long as customers are willing to pay more they will bump up the price till the limit is found, hence the linear price curve that they increase prices at (Not going into inflation as it gets complicated).

Your view may not be exactly the same as mine but it is pretty interesting and backed up :)

bru

bru

Soldato
Ok now that we have a handful of aftermarket card reviews and a few overclocking results, it is getting close to the day when manually overclocking our GPU's to squeeze every last drop out of them is even necessary?
what I mean is that when some of the overclocked cards are boosting to 1950+ is there any need to run afterburner to gain another 5% (100MHz) or so?

Caporegime
Ok now that we have a handful of aftermarket card reviews and a few overclocking results, it is getting close to the day when manually overclocking our GPU's to squeeze every last drop out of them is even necessary?
what I mean is that when some of the overclocked cards are boosting to 1950+ is there any need to run afterburner to gain another 5% (100MHz) or so?

Honestly, nope. The gains are just not worth it.

Caporegime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHjgnBtxhM

MSI GTX1080 GAMING X

Nvidia really maxed out pascal clocks to topple the 980ti/TX and charge a premium for it. All the phases and power couldn't get a decent OC out of this lame duck.

Agree

Its dissapointing that all the cooler bling and power connectors make diddly squat difference.

My FE blows that Msi out the water...

Back
Top Bottom