• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
I've tried it and can notice a difference with high levels of AA.

Anyone who thinks AA will go away after 4K is wrong.
Yea, I didn't mean there was absolutely no difference. But you're hitting really hard diminishing returns at that point and for quite a big performance cost.

4k + some lighter AA application seems like the sweetspot. At least until we get GPU's with a surplus of power, but anybody at 4k right now needs all the FPS they can get.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Could have added in other hobbies or activities, they were just what came to mind haha!

I have friends that are really into cycling, it is their hobby, they spend thousands on bikes and parts for bikes.

The thing is those bike parts won't be rendered obsolete within a year with 50% or more of its value wiped off

Well I guess you can sell up a few weeks before the new one is out

Permabanned
I've seen a few people who are not that impressed with the gains of these cards over Maxwell but I would like to ask the following...

I'm not bothered about money/cost as I dont drink or smoke nor have any children as of yet so this is all about performance and performance alone.

I have a TX which runs at stock clocks as I dont like the noise I have to put up with when I overclock it due to the reference blower. I was thinking about the 1080 MSI Gaming edition to power my X34 monitor but will I notice much difference ?

Soldato
4k + some lighter AA application seems like the sweetspot. At least until we get GPU's with a surplus of power, but anybody at 4k right now needs all the FPS they can get.

Sweetspot for appearance, but certainly not for performance lol! I think by the time GPU's come along where there are none of these performance concerns with 4K, it won't even be the hot ticket anymore... 8K will be the new show in town and that's what everyone will be chasing. It never ends...! :)

Soldato
I've seen a few people who are not that impressed with the gains of these cards over Maxwell but I would like to ask the following...

I'm not bothered about money/cost as I dont drink or smoke nor have any children as of yet so this is all about performance and performance alone.

I have a TX which runs at stock clocks as I dont like the noise I have to put up with when I overclock it due to the reference blower. I was thinking about the 1080 MSI Gaming edition to power my X34 monitor but will I notice much difference ?

As your running it at stock clocks you'll notice a big difference (30%ish) a heavy O/C'd TX only about 12% difference. Bear in mind minium FPS will be higher and the more DX12 titles we get this card will pull away further.

I'm a heavy O/C'd TX owner and I think I'm going to jump, @3440*1440 my minium FPS are down in the 40's which is to close to the gsync barrier for my liking, new games are only going to become more demanding.

Caporegime
As your running it at stock clocks you'll notice a big difference (30%ish) a heavy O/C'd TX only about 12% difference. Bear in mind minium FPS will be higher and the more DX12 titles we get this card will pull away further.

I'm a heavy O/C'd TX owner and I think I'm going to jump, @3440*1440 my minium FPS are down in the 40's which is to close to the gsync barrier for my liking, new games are only going to become more demanding.

A nicely overclocked 1080 and an X34 will pretty much be a perfect combo for at least the next 12 months imo :cool:

Soldato
Hybrid 1080 with a custom bios and then we'll see, has any-one released a bios yet?

Nope, been keeping an eye on overclock.net, there is an updated version of NVFlash but no pascal bios tweaker yet

When I get my card I will download my bios and see what I can see, with dual bios theres much less worry about doing anything to mess it up

Last edited:
Associate

Well I would definately take a look at Gregsters video before comitting to a jump from a Titan X to be honest. Personally I would wait for the 1080Ti if it were me and I was in your position.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29598781&postcount=930

Soldato
He said he's not bothered about the money, if we knew the ti was coming in less than three months I would agree... no I wouldnt I would just say get an EVGA so you can step up

Soldato
Are there people here planning to buy 1070/1080 for 1080p144 gaming? Everyone's talking about 1440p or 4k gaming and I'm just sitting here looking forward to 144fps at standard HD.

Soldato
Are there people here planning to buy 1070/1080 for 1080p144 gaming? Everyone's talking about 1440p or 4k gaming and I'm just sitting here looking forward to 144fps at standard HD.

I recently purchased the Acer Z35 because i couldn't afford £900+ on a monitor that fitted all 4 of my requirements (gsync, 144hz, curved ultra wide, 1440p were the 4 desires, i could only do 3 out of 4 for <£600) and i've got a 1080 on preorder.

I'm looking forward to having lots of excess power and cranking everything up to maximum on every game for the forseable future :p

Personally i never see much difference in games from 1080 to 1440, not as much as the various graphical options for shadows, AA etc. makes anyway.

Permabanned

30% stock vs stock is that? If so I'm onboard...not graphics though :D:D:D

Soldato
30% stock vs stock is that? If so I'm onboard...not graphics though :D:D:D

Yup pritty much, O/C the 1080 and your looking at 40%, though it doesn't O/C as well as a TX, O/C the TX and the gap closes quite a lot. But as you never O/C you don't have to worry about this.

Either way, no TX/TI of the 1080 on the horizon and nothing from AMD I can see them comming out next year TX first. A lot of big games I want to max out this year so why not jump to the 1080.

Back
Top Bottom