• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
I wonder if Pascal (or Polaris) will have powerfull enough memory controllers and caches to take advantage of HBM2. We all know Fiji for example can't even get HBM1 fully utilised.

Here is my OclMemBench results for example:

500MHz (512GB/s) Test: ~375GB/s
545MHz (558GB/s) Test: ~400GB/s
600MHz (614GB/s] Test: ~440GB/s
666Mhz gives quick reboot :p

Potential is great however.

Caporegime
I wonder if Pascal (or Polaris) will have powerfull enough memory controllers and caches to take advantage of HBM2. We all know Fiji for example can't even get HBM1 fully utilised.

Here is my OclMemBench results for example:

500MHz (512GB/s) Test: ~375GB/s
545MHz (558GB/s) Test: ~400GB/s
600MHz (614GB/s] Test: ~440GB/s
666Mhz gives quick reboot :p

Potential is great however.

They will cope just fine but will really need a high res (4K +) to shine. When you look at HBM at 1080P for example, the Fury X is say 10% behind a 980Ti but when you up the res to 4K, the Fury X then reels in the 980Ti quite a bit.

Caporegime
Well let's have a look at history and what you said about the Titan and Titan X.

I can go on but it was only you who was kicking up a fuss about DP being missing from the TX and claiming everyone was laughing at us Titan/X buyers and insulting post after insulting post from you ensued and now you have the cheek to claim it was only us going on about DP being an issue. Get out with ya. Always personal with you :(

Always personal? Both of you managed to have a pop at people who 'made a fuss over DP performance'... which was you and other Nvidia die hards.

Also again both of those posts again were talking about the price difference and both of them point out that Nvidia guys were using DP performance as an excuse for Titan pricing and that suddenly with Titan X you were talking about DP performance being unimportant.

You've made two posts insisting I was making a big deal out of DP or it being missing and both times you've missed the point so I'll say it for like the 50th time and see if you get it.

DP performance is unimportant for gaming, Titan came out at a hilarious price and Nvidia guys, you included proclaimed it was a compute card for home compute people and happened to offer good gaming performance. As it was a cheaper compute card the price was sensible. Titan X came out without DP performance, the main reason you guys excused the first Titan's price, and suddenly DP performance was entirely unimportant but the price was still sensible. Both of those posts you quoted are laughing at that and that alone. Not the lack of DP performance, the U-turn in your stance on how important DP was in that it was the entire reason for the price initially then didn't matter with the second card.

It is once again you who makes it personal, you who misleads, you who makes false claims about what I said.

This once again started because you and one of your cronies decided to have a go at those who made a fuss about DP.

EDIT:- could you highlight the insults within those quotes please, or if you can't find them, maybe stop lying about insults and making it personal. Each and everyone one of the times you get called on the cobblers you come out with you instantly jump to "why are you insulting/making it personal" because it's all you have left, deflection. I know, turn on the Nvidia signal and get the same 3-4 guys to come in and agree with you repeatedly.

It's genuinely hilarious, you made a claim, I called you on it and you quoted two of my old posts that back up what I was saying.

Last edited:
Associate
Driver crashed about 10 minutes in.

Ah ye, that's the problem nvidia users had before aswell, unless you changed something from windows registry. Doesn't matter, log file should tell enough. What you're looking for is Graphics Only, Compute Only, and Graphics + Compute times.

If they are being run asyncronous, Compute + Graphics should equal the time of the slower one.

Caporegime
Always personal? Both of you managed to have a pop at people who 'made a fuss over DP performance'... which was you and other Nvidia die hards.

Also again both of those posts again were talking about the price difference and both of them point out that Nvidia guys were using DP performance as an excuse for Titan pricing and that suddenly with Titan X you were talking about DP performance being unimportant.

You've made two posts insisting I was making a big deal out of DP or it being missing and both times you've missed the point so I'll say it for like the 50th time and see if you get it.

DP performance is unimportant for gaming, Titan came out at a hilarious price and Nvidia guys, you included proclaimed it was a compute card for home compute people and happened to offer good gaming performance. As it was a cheaper compute card the price was sensible. Titan X came out without DP performance, the main reason you guys excused the first Titan's price, and suddenly DP performance was entirely unimportant but the price was still sensible. Both of those posts you quoted are laughing at that and that alone. Not the lack of DP performance, the U-turn in your stance on how important DP was in that it was the entire reason for the price initially then didn't matter with the second card.

It is once again you who makes it personal, you who misleads, you who makes false claims about what I said.

This once again started because you and one of your cronies decided to have a go at those who made a fuss about DP.

EDIT:- could you highlight the insults within those quotes please, or if you can't find them, maybe stop lying about insults and making it personal. Each and everyone one of the times you get called on the cobblers you come out with you instantly jump to "why are you insulting/making it personal" because it's all you have left, deflection. I know, turn on the Nvidia signal and get the same 3-4 guys to come in and agree with you repeatedly.

It's genuinely hilarious, you made a claim, I called you on it and you quoted two of my old posts that back up what I was saying.

Do me one biggie and show me where I said it was a compute card. I have always stated that I don't care about compute and have no need for it. I do a bit of video encoding from time to time but if talking out compute gives me more performance in games, I know what I would rather have and that is performance over compute. So do that and we can then see what is what. If not, I will be reporting your post, as if you can't see any of that as insulting, I will let a mod decide.

Associate
I dont really know what async compute is, I just know that its good to have

I always thought compute meant like cuda cores, which I imagined to be like several 'mini cpus' that were seperate to the 'shader cores' that usually make the pixels, but I thought that you cant use compute and scanline render at the same time, like you couldn't bitcoin mine and play a game at the same time,
so maybe what it does is allow you to do switch between the two modes ?

Caporegime
Ah ye, that's the problem nvidia users had before aswell, unless you changed something from windows registry. Doesn't matter, log file should tell enough. What you're looking for is Graphics Only, Compute Only, and Graphics + Compute times.

If they are being run asyncronous, Compute + Graphics should equal the time of the slower one.

I'll run it again another time, maybe take off my overclock, might help it not crash... it just takes too long for me to do it at the moment.

Soldato
I dont really know what async compute is, I just know that its good to have

I always thought compute meant like cuda cores, which I imagined to be like several 'mini cpus' that were seperate to the 'shader cores' that usually make the pixels, but I thought that you cant use compute and scanline render at the same time, like you couldn't bitcoin mine and play a game at the same time,
so maybe what it does is allow you to do switch between the two modes ?

It means running graphics rendering and compute work concurrently instead of consecutively like we have with dx11 etc.

Associate
I'll run it again another time, maybe take off my overclock, might help it not crash... it just takes too long for me to do it at the moment.

Problem is driver response timeout. You can disable TDR from registery if needed. But you don't really need those 512 kernel numbers, just those first results are enough from each section. Compute only, Graphics Only and Graphics + Compute.

Caporegime
Problem is driver response timeout. You can disable TDR from registery if needed. But you don't really need those 512 kernel numbers, just those first results are enough from each section. Compute only, Graphics Only and Graphics + Compute.

When I search for those strings, it doesn't find them. I will do the TDR fix and run again.

Soldato
Do me one biggie and show me where I said it was a compute card. I have always stated that I don't care about compute and have no need for it. I do a bit of video encoding from time to time but if talking out compute gives me more performance in games, I know what I would rather have and that is performance over compute. So do that and we can then see what is what. If not, I will be reporting your post, as if you can't see any of that as insulting, I will let a mod decide.

He annoys me also greg. Orangey is the other self centred poster here. Sometimes you just have to put people on ignore. DM & Orange have to be the worst posters on OCUK forums. DM's long boring posts are the worse tbh

Associate
When I search for those strings, it doesn't find them. I will do the TDR fix and run again.

Yeah, something is wrong with those drivers towards that test. You don't even reach Graphics part, or graphics + compute part. They would come after kernel number 512, and you crash before that.

Don't bother testing futher as it is.

Try this lighter version instead.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1868993/

It runs only 128 kernels. Also gives output in easier form, without extra timestamps.

Same for Humbug.

Back
Top Bottom