• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Man of Honour
I assure you that all reported posts are reviewed and considered. Action isn't always immediate but if a post or series of posts breaks the rules it and the poster is dealt with.

I posted in this thread in the hope that it would encourage people to dial back their posting style a little rather than the mods having to step in and get heavy-handed :)

Caporegime
Just to confirm what my tongue in cheek comment was and what got it all started.

Of course but a certain set of people who had no interest in buying Maxwell made a big fuss about it. I found it funny at the time and seeing that slide reminded me of it was all :D

No names mentioned and like I said, I will leave it there and apologies for that post.

Man of Honour
Okay. Can I just ask then that we all try and be civil and drop any of the current back-and-forth? If there is something that anyone still has a problem with, please use RTM and add links to multiple posts if you feel that it is required.

Soldato
TBH both of these points bear out:

• that OG Titan was cheap for a pro compute card
  • Titan X not having DP isn't a big deal

So it doesn't warrant a massive ruck. I think if you were to run the numbers and account for inflation, it wasn't far off the 8800 GTX Ultra & other top cards minus the launch gouging. However I think you would find NV have added a certain amount of brand tax since then, which will hopefully diminish in the coming years if competition improves.

Caporegime
I don't mind admitting that I won't be paying £800+ for another GPU unless it is an all singing and dancing - dual core beast. I have never had any regrets on what I have bought though and been worth it to me.

Caporegime
I don't mind admitting that I won't be paying £800+ for another GPU unless it is an all singing and dancing - dual core beast. I have never had any regrets on what I have bought though and been worth it to me.

And tbf, the TX combined with the Swift will still last you a fair while! Probably til Volta....:cool:

Man of Honour
What DM has got to remember is the original 6gb Titan can run games that the 4gb Fury X can not.

I would say that this makes the original Titan a very good value for money card over the time it has been in use.

Caporegime
Of course but a certain set of people who had no interest in buying Maxwell made a big fuss about it. I found it funny at the time and seeing that slide reminded me of it was all :D

And tbf, the TX combined with the Swift will still last you a fair while! Probably til Volta....:cool:

Yep. I will get either Pascal or Polaris but not if it is only a small increase over the TX. Titan over 680 was nice and Titan X over the Titan was nice, now just need the same with Pascal and Polaris to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Caporegime
Did TX buyers get a bit ****** off when the ti was released?

I suspect some may have, others likely not. It was always expected that their would be a cut down version of the TX, ie the 980ti. For those with money to burn and wanting to game at high res and higher settings the TX is the better card due to its higher vram count. Not in my budget though and I don't think I could live with the stock cooler on the TX.

Caporegime
What DM has got to remember is the original 6gb Titan can run games that the 4gb Fury X can not.

I would say that this makes the original Titan a very good value for money card over the time it has been in use.

Has that got a single thing to do with the points I made.... nope, ok then.

However just for the heck of it...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_Matrix/20.html

which of these games shows a massive memory limit? How many times does the Fury X beat the 6GB 980ti or the 12GB Titan X....

Relative performance at 4k is equal to the Titan X and ahead of the 980ti across all the games. Sure looks like there is loads of games that 6GB is a monumental advantage... such an advantage the 12GB Titan X(significantly faster than the non X) is only as fast as the Fury X at 4k.

Man of Honour
Has that got a single thing to do with the points I made.... nope, ok then.

However just for the heck of it...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_Matrix/20.html

which of these games shows a massive memory limit? How many times does the Fury X beat the 6GB 980ti or the 12GB Titan X....

Relative performance at 4k is equal to the Titan X and ahead of the 980ti across all the games. Sure looks like there is loads of games that 6GB is a monumental advantage... such an advantage the 12GB Titan X(significantly faster than the non X) is only as fast as the Fury X at 4k.

The Fury X up against a TX @2160p is an absolute non contest. You should try using them both before you make statements.

Try using a Fury X running XCOM2 maxed @2160p, it does not run. On a single TX it is very playable.

I also like what AMD did with Shadow of Mordor and Fury X to get over quadfire memory problems, they disabled quadfire lol.

Associate
I got those DX12 Async demos working, just look up the page if you want to give it a go.

You need the Visual Studio debug run times installed. That's a bit too much effort given they are not redeployable and you can only get them from installing Visual Studio.

Soldato
If you use TXs it should be 2, 3 or 4 in SLI so you can really use the 12gb VRAM @2160p.

980 Ti's are better to use 1 or 2 at a time where it won't push the settings high enough to breach the 6gb of VRAM they come with.

You really need to start backing this up with some hard evidence as so far all i have seen is you getting 17fps compared to 6 fps on the other cards in Xcom 2. If that is playable to you then so be it. The original titan has no chance against Fury X as it's around 70-80% slower at 4k from what i have seen in some recent games.

I get that Titans are expensive in comparison but lets not go over the top with defense as it seems like you are backing your Titan purchases to much. Dm linked you into the Techpower review above and all though his link was wrong in it was probably meant for the whole summary and not Warcraft the results show the original Titan is not even in the ballpark of fury X. Performance summary below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_Ti_Matrix/23.html

Edit :Ohh and what is even funnier is how much faster a 295 is compared to all the cards on the list with it's 4gb apart from a really fast gtx980ti. Damn that's fast lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom