*** The Official OcUK Beers Of The World Competition ***

Soldato
Shilling beer is nigh on impossible to get down here so I am glad the rules hjave been changed or it would be a no-show from me.

The lengths I have gone to find some of the beers is pretty bloody silly as well. The King beer, after searching online for days, lead me to a local brewery I never knew existed and I even phoned up the master brewer to find out where to buy their stuff which will involve a 20 mile round trip to get it. :o

Soldato
I agree that whilst some rounds have had changes to make it easier, it is on a whole better when everyone is able to enter rather than having to sit out for a week. There are still lots of beer being entered which i've never seen/heard of before which shows its not just people going to their local Tesco to get the obvious choice.

I do believe something such as Cutthoat should be allowed though (although the fact my beer is in similar vain might have something to do with that :D)

Soldato
I agree that whilst some rounds have had changes to make it easier, it is on a whole better when everyone is able to enter rather than having to sit out for a week. There are still lots of beer being entered which i've never seen/heard of before which shows its not just people going to their local Tesco to get the obvious choice.

I do believe something such as Cutthoat should be allowed though (although the fact my beer is in similar vain might have something to do with that :D)

1.The activity or condition of competing: "there is fierce competition between banks".
2.An event or contest in which people compete

It's a competition, the challenge is and should remain part of it in my opinion, some of the beers like "Ye Olde" wording aren't particularly prevalent up here and it'll be harder for people like me and Ahleckz to get a hold of.

Associate
I agree, and i presume that those of us that go further out of our way to pick up unusual ones rather than something more obvious shall reap extra rewards for it :)

Totally agree, But, you cant buy what the shops haven't got :D

Some people, like myself, may live in small villages with no option but to use the supermarket or shop online.
I decided not to shop online......so,
I'm going to struggle every week and damn well enjoy it :D

Now where's that body part beer hiding??

Caporegime
Not liking the changes that have taken place. Surely some rounds should be tricky to get. And, cutthroat shouldn't be allowed imo. But hey ho, if you guys need rule changes to keep up with me so be it. :p

No point crying about it now! As already pointed the 'cutthroat' example was dealt with in this very thread ages ago and just as always everyone within the competition has a say... that included you.

I do admit though, for the same reason it grates a bit with me whenever we had at least two weeks before starting when we ALL should have been openly discussing the beers and rules rather than leaving it till the competition started. I include myself in taking the blame for that.

Now **** up and get another 4 points this week....

;):p:D

Associate
Shilling beer is nigh on impossible to get down here so I am glad the rules hjave been changed or it would be a no-show from me.

The lengths I have gone to find some of the beers is pretty bloody silly as well. The King beer, after searching online for days, lead me to a local brewery I never knew existed and I even phoned up the master brewer to find out where to buy their stuff which will involve a 20 mile round trip to get it. :o

!! i found king beer & shilling in tesco :p

Soldato

You seem to be complaining about that, but for me that is why this competition exists. It makes you get out and discover new beers and breweries. Without such a category, you would never know that that brewery existed and you would never had drank their beer. But, because of this you have.

It's quite funny that people seem to think Scotland is awash with Shilling beers. If I went to my local Tesco tomorrow, I imagine I'd have the choice of two Shilling beers; if that.

Soldato
Oh balls does it have to be a English king's name?

Pretty sure if king Solomon made a beer and named it king Solomon it would be fine ;)

Could sit here all evening thinking of kings that should have made beers and named it after them selves... But yeah would be almost offended if the round was restricted to only English kings! Really a limit of history there :p

Soldato
It's quite funny that peopleseem to think Scotland is awash with Shilling beers. If I went to my local Tesco tomorrow, I imagine I'd have the choice of two Shilling beers; if that.
........and I walk into my local tesco and there is a choice of zero shilling beers, not even two. Your only moaning cos someone still might beat you. Yes I agree it should be a little tricky but where it is nigh on impossible then no that's not fair. The ye olde round ive not seen a single beer yet but I have seen them so i will look extra hard, where a shilling beer I have never heard of.

Associate
........and I walk into my local tesco and there is a choice of zero shilling beers, not even two. Your only moaning cos someone still might beat you. Yes I agree it should be a little tricky but where it is nigh on impossible then no that's not fair. The ye olde round ive not seen a single beer yet but I have seen them so i will look extra hard, where a shilling beer I have never heard of.

ye olde, well i would count "old somthing hen", but maybe i need to think more if any words in the name are in "old english(norse) vs shakespeare english".

im surprised brew dog dont do a shilling beer, i'm sure that be hip and trendy for them with some more angry drivel on the label, (ps im rather upset with them since they feel the need to ruin the Pilsner they had on tap :( )

any way im playing the percentage game on that one, get the most populer rather than risking it all on a obscure one.

Soldato

The time for questioning the content for each round was before the competition started to be honest... There should only be clarification now on what counts for each round, not changes.

Oh and remember this is all about having some fun and enjoying different types of beer and cider

Soldato
You seem to be complaining about that, but for me that is why this competition exists. It makes you get out and discover new beers and breweries. Without such a category, you would never know that that brewery existed and you would never had drank their beer. But, because of this you have.

It's quite funny that people seem to think Scotland is awash with Shilling beers. If I went to my local Tesco tomorrow, I imagine I'd have the choice of two Shilling beers; if that.

Oh I am not complaining. I very much enjoy looking for them. The problem with the shilling beer is that I am unable to obtain it at all, unless I go online, which is against the spirit of the competition for me.

I am still hoping to enter a Shilling beer regardless of the rules having been relaxed for that week. I shall not give up! :)

Back
Top Bottom