** The Official OcUK Mechanical Keyboard Thread **

Soldato
I have just ordered a CM Quickfire TK in brown switch / white led flavour :)
I just need to find some of those led caps somewere now, as I don't really want to sign up for massdrop :p

Last edited:
Soldato
These LED colour caps are proving tricky to find - Quickfire TK frees up a lot of desktop real estate from the Logitech G15 it replaced :)

Soldato
Quick query - what's the best way to "black out" a keyswitch LED?

Slightly annoyed by the arrow keys on the TK which remain permanently lit when the NumLock is off. Could I put a sliver of duct tape / electrical tape over each LED to neutralize it?

Cheers,

Su

Associate
Quick query - what's the best way to "black out" a keyswitch LED?

Slightly annoyed by the arrow keys on the TK which remain permanently lit when the NumLock is off. Could I put a sliver of duct tape / electrical tape over each LED to neutralize it?

Cheers,

Su

I guess that would work. Maybe try sharpie or drywipe marker over each?

Alternatively, you could always pop the back off and de-solder the leds you don't want. Proably overkill, though...

Soldato
Hmm don't think this is gonna work dude...

Tried using a Sharpie, and it just shines right through, pretty much 90% as bright!!

Don't think I will be able to wrap duct tape around the LED, as it is sort of cylindrical and I won't be able to cover it sufficiently...

I really need some sort of liquid rubber stuff that I can just "pour" over the top, and hopefully remove easily by just pulling it off. Sort of like PVA glue, lol.

Any ideas please?

Associate
Hmm don't think this is gonna work dude...

Tried using a Sharpie, and it just shines right through, pretty much 90% as bright!!

Don't think I will be able to wrap duct tape around the LED, as it is sort of cylindrical and I won't be able to cover it sufficiently...

I really need some sort of liquid rubber stuff that I can just "pour" over the top, and hopefully remove easily by just pulling it off. Sort of like PVA glue, lol.

Any ideas please?

If you can't tape it, maybe try nail varnish? It's pretty much opaque and can be easilly rmoved with acetone.

Soldato
Those look really good. Do they affect normal typing at all?

I haven't typed extensively tbh, but no, I can't say they've been a bother at all.

Saying that, I reverted back to the stock number keys. You will notice from the pic that numbers 2 through 5 sit lower than the regular keys. Combined with the raised lip on top of the W key, this meant reaching over it to get to 2 and 3 was a tiny bit annoying.

I also forgot what the shift functions were for those keys (stupid American layout :p)

Unless it's specifically clear, any colour would probably work.

Yeah but I don't want my gaming keyboard looking like some cheap **** covered in hot pink nail polish :p

Associate
Figured after getting such a lovely photo at the OCUK/AMD event I should post the Parvum keyboard of choice. Well one of the main ones at least:

Own two of these beauts now. For the beer... blame Dave!

1nyzbr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom