** The Official OcUK Mechanical Keyboard Thread **

Associate
Only if there were more white LED backlit keyboards on the market... Supposedly the best one for me would be Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate MX Brown with white backlit but it is not available anywhere in the UK and no one plans to import it...
P.S. I know I can go for either Trigger Z brown or TK brown but the one is a bit too big and the other is not with full keys. My other options are Qpad MK80/85 and Vengeance K70 red/black, all with brown switches. I am talking as options that fit my budget (sort of), I like, and have good reviews.

Man of Honour
Only if there were more white LED backlit keyboards on the market... Supposedly the best one for me would be Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate MX Brown with white backlit but it is not available anywhere in the UK and no one plans to import it...

Have you seen the Ducky Shine 3 in white (has white LEDs too)? I'm currently using it, best keyboard by a country mile (I've ever used) :)

Associate
Ducky are rather expensive, I do not think I feel comfortable spending a lot more than 100 quid on a keyboard. I like drinking and eating around the PC, I will not forgive myself if I kill it in the first 6 months. :D
P.S. I meant with white LEDs not with white plastic.

Last edited:
Soldato
They'll probably update the K65 with a backlit version for the next update and then the version after that go RGB

Guys, apologies for not reading the entire thread, but I am about to pull the trigger on a Corsair K65. I didn't see anything new announced at CEX, but would kick myself if an update were to be released in the next few months.

Any inclinations if there will be an update with backlight etc in the near future?

Also I've just seen there is a BlackWidow Tournament Edition refresh with Razer's own switches... what's the general consensus on these?

Thanks,

Su

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooh, Rapid-I looks nice - thanks, I will find some reviews!

It's a lot more expensive though - $90 vs. $140 here.

Also the dedicated volume control keys on the Corsair, and the lower vertical profile had me swung over the other CMs.

Is there any functional reason why the Rapid-i is superior?

Cheers,

Su

Last edited:
Associate
Has backlit keys and from what I've read a rather good func buttons implementation. It is still built like a tank and if you want hacklit tenkeyless, this and the Ducky are the top runners on my opinion. If you do not care about back lighting, take a look at the CM QuickFire Rapid. It should be a lot cheper as it is not backlit. I personally think that if you are looking at mechanical keyboards you should buy something there will be no practical reason to change in the next at least 5 years, so I would not try to go for a bargain but buy something that has all the features you would ever need. The price differential is not that big anyway as the most expensive thing are the switches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went for the QFR TK with blue switches in the end. I wanted clicky, and Corsair only do reds on the K65. TK is backlit too, so that's great. And it was the same price as the K65 on Amazon!

I want to replace some of the keys - is there any brand of key that is considered to be better than generic ones?

Thanks,

Su

Soldato
CM storm White Quickfire TK - limited edition but you probably wont find this White version.

I've also changed the colour of the LEDS, they should all be White like this.

There are a lot of different versions and they have just released a quickfire rapid i with White LEDS but a Black body.

Last edited:
Associate
If anyone is interested in a Das Keyboard, check out this Massdrop poll:

dro.ps/v/cEbsMbQ

They're really nice boards, but have a price premium for a UK version. Hopefully this might be an opportunity to get them down a bit.

Also, I appologise if this is against the rules. Please delete if it is.
OcUK don't sell them or anything, so it's probably fine, right?

Soldato
Just so you know, i didn't solder new leds, it's just some bits of plastic over them to change the colour so it's not hard to do. :)

Hmm, interesting... I have the same keyboard, but the regular black one, with blue switches (therefore blue backlight).

Could I use these plastic domes to alter the blue to something else? I want red or green!

Back
Top Bottom