The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Soldato
While we're here, can we clarify one issue with the OEM versions of XP and Vista.

I'm sure there have been conflicting posts regarding the replacement of motherboards. Some posts have said that as soon as you change the motherboard (unless out of necessity) the OEM license is void whilst other posts seem to suggest you're allowed one or two changes before the license becomes invalid. Which is it?

Permabanned
99% of users are not going to bother to tell MS that the this and that has been done. They just ring up and expect to have the OS reactivated. If MS want people to tell them everything then they need to have a new way of working as most will just be concerned in just getting thier PC's up and running.

MS have made a superb Product in Vista but they need to rethink the costs for the OS as they are quite steep for the average person in the street. And as we know, there are people out there who will try to get something for nothing! I don't mind paying for Vista at the right price. It is a stunning OS. I will be looking to get the Home Premium when it comes out. As for OEM or not, well, i had my OEM activate about 6 times by MS (Got a retail one now) and if they wanted to activate it for me then i was not going to argue with them!

As for the Tesco story, well, that is a different matter. Of course one should go back and tell them but when it comes to software that has been paid for, not cheap, then we should be able reactivate it again and again on the same PC, regardless if we have to change the Mobo etc.

Man of Honour
OP
Vertigo1 said:
While we're here, can we clarify one issue with the OEM versions of XP and Vista.

I'm sure there have been conflicting posts regarding the replacement of motherboards. Some posts have said that as soon as you change the motherboard (unless out of necessity) the OEM license is void whilst other posts seem to suggest you're allowed one or two changes before the license becomes invalid. Which is it?

On OEM licences if you upgrade the motherboard you need a new licence. People are getting confused with an obsolete clause that MS had in the retail licence.

Burnsy

Soldato
Just to throw this out there.

Lets say your mobo goes, but by the time it does, the model is no longer available, forcing you to buy another model. So what happens in this case?.....
------------------------
On another note:

As to MS taking all the slack for legality..... pftt...... when you install the OS you agree to the terms and conditions, by clicking 'I Accept' you are indicating you have read this, so how is laziness going to win you over with MS?......

Read the info that comes with your OS, and you will know your rights.

I admit, i don't read it, i just click Agree, then i don't work in the trade so its not of a vital importance.

The way i see it, if i have a PC, i buy the OS, install it...... use it..... upgrade at some point, ring the MS guy, and get the OS re-activated, and yeah if its a new mobo i'll tell him it failed.

I'll lie, so what........ i've paid for the OS, and i'll goddamn use it on my PC as long as i like regardless of the hardware changes, and i'll accept that i can't use this on another PC, but changing parts re-activation is a joke.

Yes i disagree with the MS stance, and i'll admit i don't stick to the terms, but if they wanna take me to court, then they can take the other thousands of people with me to.

Legalities, yes a bummer, but wether you agree or not, thats how it is, like it or change OS, or do as you want, but debating the same things in circles gets no one anywhere. The best thing you can do to combat MS on this is NOT BUY IT. I think MS would rather you buy their OS and break the terms then not buy it at all.

Thats my 2p anyway. ;)

Permabanned
t31os said:
Legalities, yes a bummer, but wether you agree or not, thats how it is, like it or change OS, or do as you want, but debating the same things in circles gets no one anywhere. The best thing you can do to combat MS on this is NOT BUY IT. I think MS would rather you buy their OS and break the terms then not buy it at all.

Thats my 2p anyway. ;)

I agree totally.

Man of Honour
OP
pcknight said:
99% of users are not going to bother to tell MS that the this and that has been done. They just ring up and expect to have the OS reactivated. If MS want people to tell them everything then they need to have a new way of working as most will just be concerned in just getting thier PC's up and running.

MS have made a superb Product in Vista but they need to rethink the costs for the OS as they are quite steep for the average person in the street. And as we know, there are people out there who will try to get something for nothing! I don't mind paying for Vista at the right price. It is a stunning OS. I will be looking to get the Home Premium when it comes out. As for OEM or not, well, i had my OEM activate about 6 times by MS (Got a retail one now) and if they wanted to activate it for me then i was not going to argue with them!

As for the Tesco story, well, that is a different matter. Of course one should go back and tell them but when it comes to software that has been paid for, not cheap, then we should be able reactivate it again and again on the same PC, regardless if we have to change the Mobo etc.

Do you know what? I agree with pretty much all of that. However, dispite what we think should be done, it isn't like that and we have to obay the laws that are applicable, which includes the EULA.

Burnsy

Soldato
Burnsy. Here is a question releating to my OEM to Vista upgrade.

Say I use the OEM MCE in conjunction with vista ultimate upgrade once and then bought (later on) an xp home retail pack, could I use this xp home retail pack with my vista upgrade and kepp it legal?

Permabanned
Things is, the average guy in the street, approx 99% of us are not going to be bothered by the EULA. All we want is reactivation! Lol

Happy new year anyway.

burnsy2023 said:
On OEM licences if you upgrade the motherboard you need a new licence. People are getting confused with an obsolete clause that MS had in the retail licence.

Burnsy

sorry mate buts thats the biggest load of tosh I've read on here EVER, I can ring Microsoft up RIGHT NOW and tell them I have upgraded my motherboard and I need to re-activate my original copy of windowsXP 'OEM' and I can guarantee they will issue me with I new product activation id number, and infact on a couple of my custumers machines I had problems and I was even issued with an entirely new LICENCE CODE.

Man of Honour
OP
t31os said:
Just to throw this out there.

Lets say your mobo goes, but by the time it does, the model is no longer available, forcing you to buy another model. So what happens in this case?.....

If a different model is provided by the manufacturer then you are fine, as long is the replacement is part of a warrenty claim.

What we think MS should put in the licencing terms is irrelivent. Just to note, I'm not a fan of the terms, but I have to live with it and to a certain extent, so do you. If anyone here chooses to lie to MS, that's your choice and I think discussion of this should stay off the forums.

One point I noted is :
t31os said:
i'll accept that i can't use this on another PC
My question is this: When has a computer changed sufficently that it is no longer the original PC? What one component can you change and then the PC is another PC?

Burnsy

Soldato
Not tosh at all, he's correct, but usually the guy on the phone is quite willing to give out a code, i've known of one time that was refused due to a mobo change, but usally they just give the code anyway.

You could say MS do a bad job of sticking to their own terms, but burnsy is right with what he says.

I've had to re-activate for the stupidest things before, changing grahpics card etc...

Man of Honour
OP
lowrider007 said:
sorry mate buts thats the biggest load of tosh I've read on here EVER, I can ring Microsoft up RIGHT NOW and tell them I have upgraded my motherboard and I need to re-activate my original copy of windowsXP 'OEM' and I can guarantee they will issue me with I new product activation id number, and infact on a couple of my custumers machines I had problems and I was even issued with an entirely new LICENCE CODE.

Load of tosh? ok, what would make you believe me? A quote from Microsoft? And YET AGAIN people are getting confused between staying legal and activation. MS might give you an acvtivation code, but they shouldn't and they may not with Vista.

Burnsy

Edit: Oh and I do apologise for the tone of this post, I think I'm going to get on with some work now, this is getting frustrating...:o

Last edited:
Soldato
lowrider007 said:

Yes for xp maybe.... but supposedly its NOT going to be like that for Vista. Only time will tell.... personally im waiting a good few months to see where this goes before deciding wether to buy retail or OEM.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
OzyOly said:
Burnsy. Here is a question releating to my OEM to Vista upgrade.

Say I use the OEM MCE in conjunction with vista ultimate upgrade once and then bought (later on) an xp home retail pack, could I use this xp home retail pack with my vista upgrade and kepp it legal?

Yes, but you'll find it hard to get a copy of XP retail after Vista is properly released.

Burnsy

Soldato
burnsy2023 said:
Load of tosh? ok, what would make you believe me? A quote from Microsoft? And YET AGAIN people are getting confused between staying legal and activation. MS might give you an acvtivation code, but they shouldn't and they may not with Vista.

Burnsy

Edit: Oh and I do apologise for the tone of this post, I think I'm going to get on with some work now, this is getting frustrating...:o

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/licensing/howtouse.mspx

Man of Honour
I've never had to phone up MS on cp, my copies where a uni mcde version thingy, then one which came with a pre made comp.

Can MS actually tell you have changed hardware, I mean how?
How about if you just say you got a virus and had to format.

t31os said:
Not tosh at all, he's correct, but usually the guy on the phone is quite willing to give out a code, i've known of one time that was refused due to a mobo change, but usally they just give the code anyway.

You could say MS do a bad job of sticking to their own terms, but burnsy is right with what he says.

I've had to re-activate for the stupidest things before, changing grahpics card etc...

tosh it is, I've spoken to Microsoft reps that have visited me in person at the company I used to work for and I queried them about this exact problem and they told me that they are well aware of it and that it was mainly implemented as a deterrent to stop people from installing one copy to multiple machines, I'm only telling you what I’ve bean told, just saying that all the people at the call centres are thick and hand out free product id's is crazy, do you not think that Microsoft actually know that this is happening.

Back
Top Bottom