**** The Official OnePlus 5 Thread ****

Soldato
The above is true and I think that security patches are something that OEMs need to get on board with.

Nokia have trailblazed their way in the Android market and there's a reason why they were the biggest selling OEM after Samsung.

My next phone is going to be a Nokia 7 Plus and I'll enjoy peace of mind knowing that the device will be regularly updated.

Having said that OP are have the new Oreo beta running 8.1 aside from Sony, Essential and Nokia other OEMs have only just updated their phones to Oreo or are in the process of updating to Oreo.

Soldato
My single biggest issue with the 5T or any other oneplus phone is the lack of monthly security patches.

Surely with it being "close to" stock it should be massively simpler to validate security patches against it compared to the Samsung S range.

Hopefully with the OP6 they'll fix this as the phone should have project treble support and the whole point of project treble is to separate security patches from Android updates.

Soldato
Hopefully with the OP6 they'll fix this as the phone should have project treble support and the whole point of project treble is to separate security patches from Android updates.
Just like with stoosh above, I've been looking at the 7 Plus, if it lands with dual SIM I might make the switch until we see the OP6 and whether they do provide treble support.

Soldato
Just like with stoosh above, I've been looking at the 7 Plus, if it lands with dual SIM I might make the switch until we see the OP6 and whether they do provide treble support.

The Nokia 7 Plus will have dual sim support Mate via a hybrid sim tray. It's being released with 64GB/4GB configuration with Micro SD card support.

It should be interesting what OP bring to the table with OP6. In theory all phones running Oreo as per their release should be Treble compatible.

Soldato
Anyone managed to fine a tempered glass screen protector that doesn't let dust in? Mine last a few weeks and then I end up with dust intruding on the sides.

Soldato
When I saw that video the other day I was very pleasantly surprised how well the OP5T performed against the S9.

You'd think with the latest Exynos processor the S9 would crush the OP5 but that isn't the case.

OnePlus have optimised their Oxygen OS really well and Samsung despite them trimming the fat down their software will always be slow no matter what hardware they use to power their phones.

I'd take the OP5 over the S9 everytime. I rather have a fast and fluid and stock like experience over everything and the kitchen sink and an annoying curved screen that Samsung insists on using in their devices.

Kudos to OnePlus

Agreed mate. Don't think I could ever go back to Samsung device now, my nephews S9+ just didn't feel as consistently fluid and fast as my OP5. Set up my sisters Pixel 2 XL the other day and that felt snappy and fluid, just pips the op5.

Can't believe I've had my OP5 for almost 9 months already, still really happy with it bar the average camera (in low light).

Looking forward to the OP6, Essential 2 and Pixel 3 this year.

Permabanned
I've been playing round my old OP3 and I've come to an interesting conclusion, the camera on the OP5 and 5T are a downgrade.

OP3 images are much sharper over all with less blur, most of the images are usable, with the exception very light light.

OP5 on the other hand just looks blurry in the majority of shots, most of the shots are unusable / blurry even in good lighting sometimes.

What a joke.

Soldato
If the camera is not significantly improved with the next model then I'll pass on it.

For me, the OP5 performed fine in good light. Just medium to low light was the issue. Noisy and blurry due to smaller sensor than competitors, no OIS thus slow shutter and lastly sub par image processing.

Permabanned
If the camera is not significantly improved with the next model then I'll pass on it.

For me, the OP5 performed fine in good light. Just medium to low light was the issue. Noisy and blurry due to smaller sensor than competitors, no OIS thus slow shutter and lastly sub par image processing.

Yes, in anything other than ideal lighting the images will turn out dark and blurry on the OnePlus 5T.

They won't improve it much, they will market it as a camera phone to try and sucker us in again but this year I won't be falling for their lies.

OP3 with the gcam mod is a force to be reckoned with in my opinion, I think it takes cracking pictures.

It's a surprisingly good camera, I used it for a around year and the results were always good, looking back on photos I took I just know I'd never get as good a result with the OP5, they'd just be a blurry mess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed mate. Don't think I could ever go back to Samsung device now, my nephews S9+ just didn't feel as consistently fluid and fast as my OP5. Set up my sisters Pixel 2 XL the other day and that felt snappy and fluid, just pips the op5.

Can't believe I've had my OP5 for almost 9 months already, still really happy with it bar the average camera (in low light).

Looking forward to the OP6, Essential 2 and Pixel 3 this year.

You can't beat the OP5 for a fluid experience Dude. Like you said the Pixel devices are on par if not slightly better.

The camera isn't as bad as some would make it out to be either that or I have low standards ;) (but then again in low light the images are quite poor)

I do hope that Essential do release their 2018 phone in the UK though. From what I've heard the Essential phone has got better with updates.

Soldato
I managed to trade in an old phone and got a Xperia X Compact, using it as a work phone. Think it's close to 2 years old, security patched to March 2018 and quite liking it. Tempting me to look at the XZ2 now, I'm such a phone floosey.

Soldato
^Aren't we all? ;)

Seriously though Sony really do keep on top of updates and that's one of the reasons why the XZ2 Premium is whatever it's going to be called with its new dual camera tech is on my radar.

Soldato
Have to say that the OP5T has been a revelation and a joy to use. I'm a self confessed serial phone changer and have to have the latest and greatest.

This phone has performed admirably and it's more than up to the task.

Users knock the camera and agreed low light wise the camera is mediocre at best.

With prices of flagships heading higher you really can't justify a purchase when this phone does most of everything well despite the odd compromise.

With Huawei / Honor also in the mid tier market it makes for healthy competition and despite the OP6 having a notch I'm looking forward to what OP bring to the table in 2018

Soldato
Thinking of getting 5t, a bit of a bad timing as I hear the 6th one is coming but if it is more expensive then I will not buy it either way.

Just one question, I heard 5t could not play Netflix HD content, is this still the case?

Edit: Got in touch with OnePlus Live Chat, they said 5t still need to be sent over to them for the fix, takes 2-4 business days. Not good.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thinking of getting 5t, a bit of a bad timing as I hear the 6th one is coming but if it is more expensive then I will not buy it either way.

Just one question, I heard 5t could not play Netflix HD content, is this still the case?

Edit: Got in touch with OnePlus Live Chat, they said 5t still need to be sent over to them for the fix, takes 2-4 business days. Not good.

New OnePlus 5T will not included the HD patch, you still have to send it back for the update.

Probably be the same for the OnePlus 6.

Once the 6 arrives how much will a pristine condition 128gb 5T be worth?

£300-400 used, you will be lucky to get more.

EDIT: Actually the lack of a notch might push up demand for the OP5T, so maybe a big more.

Soldato
Update to Android 8.1 Oreo is out.
Sweet. I'll dig out the changelog.

System
  • Updated system to Android 8.1 Oreo
  • Updated Android security patch to 2018-04
  • Added full-screen gesture support( Only 5T)

Gaming mode
  • Added new optimizations in gaming mode including power saving and pausing adaptive brightness
  • Added network boost - network priority for gaming App in the foreground

Launcher
  • Added category tags in the search section of the app drawer
  • Auto name folders based on category

Back
Top Bottom