• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Associate
I think the jury is still out when it comes to the accuracy of the temperature sensor / the software that reads the sensor on these new chips.

Good speeds :)

Soldato
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=524182

720BE @ 3.927GHz/1.55v

It'll run at 4GHz, aiming higher as we speak.

I'm just trying to get her stable at 4.1GHz but it needs max volts, oddly cpu idle temps are still mid 20's on the BIOS and AMD Overdrive.

So, I pub my little probe against the edge of the cooler base and 24.7'c! What the hell that's far too cool?

Great overclock mate, mine can hit 3.5 with a multiplier change only! But anything past that and it BSOD.... I take it up'ing your FBS and leaving your multiplier at x16 has given you more head room?

Soldato
Yo Edleake! Im just about to order an X3 with an ASUS AM3 board, you couldnt tell me what cooling your using to get those speeds could you? :D

Antec Sonanta case (years old)

1x front 120mm acoustifan on silent mode.
1x rear 120mm acoustifan on silent mode.
XClio Silent 550w PSU has a 120mm silent fan too.

Cpu cooler is an OCZ Vendetta II cooler (awesome piece of kit) with Arcticsilver 5 thermo paste, and of course the 4870 helps to draw some air out of the case but I only have the fan at 20% (silent).

The whole system is very quiet. :D

Soldato
Great overclock mate, mine can hit 3.5 with a multiplier change only! But anything past that and it BSOD.... I take it up'ing your FBS and leaving your multiplier at x16 has given you more head room?

I found my maximum multiplier on stock volts.
I found my maximum NB/FSB on stock volts.

I then combined them and needed a little extra volts.

I then tweaked them up with voltage until I hit the max stable at near max volts.

I did have a number of reboots where the CPU farted out before I hit my cap.

Also, I used AMD Overdrive to test clocks, once I'd found the sweet spot I used the BIOS to set the speeds!

And who said these old SB600 motherboards can't overclock? :D

Soldato
I found my maximum multiplier on stock volts.
I found my maximum NB/FSB on stock volts.

I then combined them and needed a little extra volts.

I then tweaked them up with voltage until I hit the max stable at near max volts.

I did have a number of reboots where the CPU farted out before I hit my cap.

Also, I used AMD Overdrive to test clocks, once I'd found the sweet spot I used the BIOS to set the speeds!

And who said these old SB600 motherboards can't overclock? :D

Many thanks, will have a look tonight at home then! My chip runs soooo cool (although I know they all do) I'm sure theres more in the tank yet!

Soldato
Many thanks, will have a look tonight at home then! My chip runs soooo cool (although I know they all do) I'm sure theres more in the tank yet!

Leave it on stock multi and see how far your NB will go, might need a few more volts past 240 but that's no problem. Once you hit a wall, drop your multiplier and keep upping the NB until you finally hit a wall. Remember to keep your ram in spec otherwise you'll soon get rebooted!

I found HyperTransport at 2.4GHz+ would destabilise my overclocks, keep it to 2-2.2GHz.

Soldato
OP
Understood but it's worked fine for me thus far, I've been playing Men of War for hours at 2048x1158 full detail, 4xaa, 16xaf, no problems at all. :)
yeah games may not have any issues. but windows itself may get issues if it's not 100% stable.. example i can run amd overdrive test at 3.7ghz 1.44v without fail but prime95 fails at that voltage, at 1.46v prime95 runs without issues.

anyway i got my 940 at 3.7ghz 2.6ghz nb/htt now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Leave it on stock multi and see how far your NB will go, might need a few more volts past 240 but that's no problem. Once you hit a wall, drop your multiplier and keep upping the NB until you finally hit a wall. Remember to keep your ram in spec otherwise you'll soon get rebooted!

I found HyperTransport at 2.4GHz+ would destabilise my overclocks, keep it to 2-2.2GHz.

Excellet stuff thanks!

Soldato

Just looking in my bios and things are slighty different as they show multipliers and not ghz? Would someone be kind enough to explain these so I know where to start my overclocking??

2qvgnqu.jpg

Soldato
OP
Just looking in my bios and things are slighty different as they show multipliers and not ghz? Would someone be kind enough to explain these so I know where to start my overclocking??
same as mine.

9x = 1800mhz (1.8ghz), 10x = 2000mhz (2.0ghz), 11x = 2200mhz (2.2ghz), 12x = 2400mhz (2.4ghz) ect..

basicly its 200 x 9 = 1800.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This does me fine.

Idles @ 32* and load of 46*, 50* max after a hour of Prime
similar to mine and the temps...

have u tryed upping your nb/htt to 2.4ghz?

on 3dmark06 cpu score i beat a phenom 940 thats at 3.8ghz / 1.8ghz htt/nb to my 3.7ghz /2.4ghz nb/htt..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom