• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Associate
The only issue in the bios is you have to clear it prior to putting in the chip and it dose not recognise which AMD chip it has. If you disengaged Cool n’ Quite and usual, you should be able to over clock. No blue screens, no rebooting or boot issues, I still cannot believe it, and I am not alone, check out Asus forums.

Associate
Breathing life into old boards :)

Quick question: What do the old boards do with the TLB (?) patch when one of the new cpus is installed ?

Soldato
Hi Guys

3.4 seems to be very stable, is there anything obvious I'm missing to then push for 3.6? Not too sure about the ACC to be honest?

n4w7wp.png

Associate
tweakinfreak,
What cooling are you using ?
Try turning down the CPU-NB multiplier (bios) or up the NB vid, up to 1.3 should be safe. You could also try taking the HT Ref clock down to 200 to see if this helps you overall oc.

ACC is a funny with the 720, in theory it should do nothing, in practice with the 0703/0803/0902? bios acc=auto or a non-zero setting for any of the cores you may end up unlocking the 4th core. If you have a good one this is blessing, if you have a bad one then you need to use the 'down core' setting in the bios to re-disable (lol) a core and hope it's the dodgy 4th one. A whole lot of twiddle and re-boots later and you may have a 3 core chip with acc enabled. It may help.

Setting ACC=disabled will return your 720 to its native 3 core state, after a couple of reboots at least, so no damage is done.

Soldato
tweakinfreak,
What cooling are you using ?
Try turning down the CPU-NB multiplier (bios) or up the NB vid, up to 1.3 should be safe. You could also try taking the HT Ref clock down to 200 to see if this helps you overall oc.

ACC is a funny with the 720, in theory it should do nothing, in practice with the 0703/0803/0902? bios acc=auto or a non-zero setting for any of the cores you may end up unlocking the 4th core. If you have a good one this is blessing, if you have a bad one then you need to use the 'down core' setting in the bios to re-disable (lol) a core and hope it's the dodgy 4th one. A whole lot of twiddle and re-boots later and you may have a 3 core chip with acc enabled. It may help.

Setting ACC=disabled will return your 720 to its native 3 core state, after a couple of reboots at least, so no damage is done.

Hi mate

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme :)

Associate
Hi mate

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme :)

That's in your sig :doh:, I looked as well.

Usual tricks, one fan, two fans, high speed, low speed, looking for changes in temperature and stability. OCCT is quite useful for this as it creates a set of charts as it runs allowing you to clearly see the idle/load delta.

Prime may be useful too. Give it 5 mins and record the temperature then stop one core wait a minute and record the new temperature, restart prime and repeat for each core.

Please note the 720 temperature is a law unto itself and the absolute values it reports are simply wrong. In the above tests you're looking at changes in temperature which should give a better indication of what's going on.

Do try tweaking the NB-VID first, increasing it also adds extra heat but a little more voltage here has been known to help the oc.

Associate
i cant belive the speeds and temps you can get with theses chips,

i was thinking of getting the AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 with the unlocked multie,

after reading this thread, I AM getting the cpu above, j ust got to find mobo and mem to go with it,

Associate
Geowal, enough fanboy for one day thanks... go away. Seriously, nobody who knows anything about computers is that stupidly loyal to one brand. I'd understand if you owned an i7, but your piddly little E7 chip lags behind virtually every Phenom II based chip. Bad troll, go away.

Smoke-a lot - go for the 790GX chipset, it's a great partner to the 720BE :)

Associate
Smoke-a lot - go for the 790GX chipset, it's a great partner to the 720BE :)

here are the bits i am looking to get at the end of the month

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

OCZ 4GB KIT (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1800Mhz PC3 14400 REAPER SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT (8-8-8-27)

ASUS M4A78T-E 790GX Socket AM3 onboard VGA DVI HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

please feel free to let me know your thoughts, i am looking forward to getting the 720 :)

Associate
How am I doing guys ?.

I've had it at 3.2GHz at Stock Voltages & 16x Multiplyer since day one. I've gone to 3.4GHz today.

Set-up:-

720BE CPU
Asrock M3A790GXH/128M
OCZ Platinum AM3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel
Asus ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Antec 300 & 5x Case Fans
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache*
Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-64P) Freezer64 CPU Cooler Pro Ver
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan

Last edited:
Associate
hi guys, i posted a message in the overclocking part of the forum but no replys can anyone on here help me link to other thread

can someone check out the screen shot and help me understand where i'm going wrong as there are some settings i'm unsure of and don't really want to kill my new rig :)

Back
Top Bottom