• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Associate
There are a lot of great coolers out there at the moment. I'd definitely look into getting a new one. You may even be able to push it further ;)

Soldato
Thanks r0zvad just tryed again at 3.4ghz and seems fine now at 1.4v. Have ran OCCT for an hour and the max temperature it reaches is 53 degrees so im guessing this is ok. Would a new cooler be needed do you think? Would it be quieter?
Presently @ 3.4 with mine too.

Chip voltage is 1.4v and under water i'm returning idle temps of 15-17c (11-13c before i get the open fire going in my lounge) and load temps (OCCT 100% load) of 22-23c.

Understand the temps look low but this is confirmed in realtemp and coretemp too which is odd. :confused:

Tried 3.6 on 1.45v but it didn't want any of it. Am i right in thinking i'm safe up to 1.5v or could i go higher?

Also, to everyone out there, should i look at any other chipset voltages to stabilise the clock? I'm so used to ye-olde 939 and 775 - these Phenom's are greek to me at the moment! :D

gt

Associate
Presently @ 3.4 with mine too.

Chip voltage is 1.4v and under water i'm returning idle temps of 15-17c (11-13c before i get the open fire going in my lounge) and load temps (OCCT 100% load) of 22-23c.

Understand the temps look low but this is confirmed in realtemp and coretemp too which is odd. :confused:

gt

Coretemp and any other temp monitor that I have tried give me idle core temp of 20, that is with true 120 xtreme air cooler in my htpc . For actual cpu temp reading bios, mine reads about 26-28 at idle and mid 30's under load, very happy with these temps considering I also have a 4870 card in the same system.

Last edited:
Soldato
bringing the thread back lol, sorry for the bump :p

i've spent absolutely ages trying to clock my 940, but i still cant get it above 3.4, and that was just by upiing the multi and the volts a little

i've tried 3.5 with the following settings:

HT reference: 235
NB Multi:10x
HT multi: 9x
CPU vid: 1.45
NB link: 1.25v
NB core @1.36v
cpu multi: 15x
ht voltage: 1.3v

all spread spectrums disabled etc, cool and quiet is switched off, ive turned off all auto settings apart from some of the memory which i thought i better not touch

with ram set at 667 mode so it doesnt overclock, and timings of 4,4,4,12 with 2.1 V, its also running in ganged mode

it doesnt matter what i try i cant get it stable at this speed, and ive looked at the various guides on the websites and tried what was suggested, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Soldato
How far can you get with everything else at stock settings and using only the cpu multiplier ?

i can boot at 16.5 on stock volts and get into windows, and seems stable enough on the amd burn test, anything higher than this though and it refuses to boot, the vista load screen appears but the HDD clicks and stops responding

Associate
16.5 @ 200, 3.3GHz. CPU idle and load temperatures ? What cooling do you have ?

Up the cpu voltage, I forget the default (1.35v ?), 1.4v is a good start and see if this helps.

Idle/load temperatures ?

Are you using AOD (AMD Overdrive) or the bios to change multipliers ? I started out using AOD as it looked like a nice tool but could not get past 3.4 to begin with.

Soldato
it idles around 35 and goes to 43 on load on stock, at 1.45 V loads temps are 55 degrees, my cpu cooler is a thermaltake blu-orb - not the best around i know:p and my case is an antec 900 so theres plenty of airflow in there. Using th BIOS to change settings only using amd overdrive for the temperature monitoring

just tried 17 multi at 1.4 v but prime failed within a minute :(

Associate
You could try adding a little voltage to the NB core, it has been known to help.

I'm under water so I don't really know what to expect from air cooling but my guess would be a temperature problem. Could you try pointing an additional fan at the blu-orb, get it quite close and see if temperatures drop and clocks improve ?

Soldato
just tried multi at 17 with nb link @1.25v and nb core @1.36, didnt seem to make much difference :( lasted longer in prime, about 10 mins this time, but loads temps have been made higher by the NB increase, i guess it could be a temp problem, i cant direct any more airflow to the cpu than ive already got though tbh, might just have to look for another cooler

Soldato
just had another lok at a guide and it suggest increaisng NB frequency as cpu speed increases to increase stability, so im gonna fiddle more with the NB and see if this helps, thanks for the help guys :)

Associate
I plan to buy the 720 black and OC to the max the stock voltage can take which looks to be around 3.2 - 3.5GHz.

Is the stock cooler OK to use with this and if not then whats the best AM3 cooler thats not going to sound like I just turned on the hoover..?

Soldato
OP
bringing the thread back lol, sorry for the bump :p

i've spent absolutely ages trying to clock my 940, but i still cant get it above 3.4, and that was just by upiing the multi and the volts a little

i've tried 3.5 with the following settings:

HT reference: 235
NB Multi:10x
HT multi: 9x
CPU vid: 1.45
NB link: 1.25v
NB core @1.36v
cpu multi: 15x
ht voltage: 1.3v

all spread spectrums disabled etc, cool and quiet is switched off, ive turned off all auto settings apart from some of the memory which i thought i better not touch

with ram set at 667 mode so it doesnt overclock, and timings of 4,4,4,12 with 2.1 V, its also running in ganged mode

it doesnt matter what i try i cant get it stable at this speed, and ive looked at the various guides on the websites and tried what was suggested, so any help would be greatly appreciated
it sounds like you've got a poor clocker chip and if that the case theres not much u can do about it..

u could get a better cooler then put the vcore up to 1.5v.

also try unganged mode

Last edited:
Soldato
it sounds like you've got a poor clocker chip and if that the case theres not much u can do about it..

u could get a better cooler then put the vcore up to 1.5v.

also try unganged mode

yeah thats what im starting to think as well :( there are more options in the BIOS which im not sure about, for example would disabling cpu prefetching help things? ill try unganged mode and see where that gets me, if not ill shell out for a new cooler

Soldato
OP
yeah thats what im starting to think as well :( there are more options in the BIOS which im not sure about, for example would disabling cpu prefetching help things? ill try unganged mode and see where that gets me, if not ill shell out for a new cooler
u could try disabling cpu prefetching but i highly doubt that'll help..

as for unganged mode that helped me with overclocking.the cpu.

Associate

Messing with the bios without a plan can be trouble imo. Unganged is the way to go, also ensure Cool'n'Quiet is disabled. You have an Asus mb, on my 3a79 there is a bios option CPU Tweak, iirc setting this to ON helped my oc, it's worth a try.

Soldato
thanks for the replies so far guys, i fiddled around with unganged mode and cpu tweak and it didnt really help stability at the same volts unfortunately :( I think this one is just gonna need more volts to reach the higher speeds. Under prime's large ftt test its becoming very clear my cooling isnt up to scratch, and dolk's guide says anything above 55 can cause phenoms to become unstable so i guess more cooling is necessary. Can anyone recommend me a decent/the best cooler around for this kinda job? i dont mind attaching fans etc if need be

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies so far guys, i fiddled around with unganged mode and cpu tweak and it didnt really help stability at the same volts unfortunately :( I think this one is just gonna need more volts to reach the higher speeds. Under prime's large ftt test its becoming very clear my cooling isnt up to scratch, and dolk's guide says anything above 55 can cause phenoms to become unstable so i guess more cooling is necessary. Can anyone recommend me a decent/the best cooler around for this kinda job? i dont mind attaching fans etc if need be
tbh keep it under 60c. 55c is fine but anything over 60-61c can cause problems. amd site says 61c max..

i recommand a TT 120A with fan, great cooler

Last edited:
Associate
Having a bit of problem getting my Phenom II 720BE rig stable even at stock.

I wonder if someone could have a look and see if anything is obviously wrong.
Cant complete an hour of OCCT and infact turns itself off.

stock.jpg

Complete System Spec is;

CPU: Phenom II 720BE
MOBO: DFI 790FXB M3H5
MEMORY: 8GB of Corsair XMS3 DHX (4x2GB)

Those temps are at idle, but taken directly after a fairly long prime 95 test.
On load CPU reaches 50ish and system stays about 40-45, a little warm but nothing outrageous.

Soldato
Having a bit of problem getting my Phenom II 720BE rig stable even at stock.

I wonder if someone could have a look and see if anything is obviously wrong.
Cant complete an hour of OCCT and infact turns itself off.

Complete System Spec is;

CPU: Phenom II 720BE
MOBO: DFI 790FXB M3H5
MEMORY: 8GB of Corsair XMS3 DHX (4x2GB)

Those temps are at idle, but taken directly after a fairly long prime 95 test.
On load CPU reaches 50ish and system stays about 40-45, a little warm but nothing outrageous.

im not exactky the best expert around, but i'd say you need to up your NB core. Mine is around 1.3 as standard and some motherboards set it lower than this by default. Seen as you have 8gb installed thats a lot of strain on your northbridge so maybe a higher voltage will help. Also check that your Ram voltage is correct by looking at the manufacturers website; some motherboards also set this too low by default. Other than this i cant see anything obviously wrong.

edit: I've just seen that your *actual* cpu vid is 1.025, that seems wayyy too low, should be around 1.325/1.35 and would explain why things are unstable. To be honest if thats the actual voltage its pretty impressive it managed to boot lol, should be quite a good clocker if thats the case

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom