The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Going for my maiden cook tonight. Only my second time making dough from scratch but just used ooni's calculator for a standard 60% hydration. Worked it for about 15 mins or so then left it to proof at room temp, then lobbed it in the fridge. Will take it out around 3/4ish with a view to eating around 7:30-8:00'ish.

Going for a standard neopolitan and an nduja and pepperoni for the second. I made a bit spare and if all is well tomorrow we're having lasagna so i'm going to whip up a nice garlic bread to go along with it. May do some confit garlic today for it.

Soldato
Is the ooni classic pizza dough recipe a good one to try?

Got my koda 12 today:D, won't be trying it out for a week or two yet though.

edit/ found the cold proof recipe, will give that one a try next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some advice please, I got the koda 12 and for me its perfect size, I also have the 12" ooni metal peel and also a wood peel of the same size from amazon. Now the area in pizza oven is very limited, and It has me thinking how easy it will be to launch pizza off peel into oven. How do you lot find it who has the koda 12?

Soldato
You can't really 'miss', slide in it in, give it a quick shake and you pull out.

As soon as the pizza has hit the stone you can adjust it if you really need to but its rare that I do, just make sure you have enough semolina so it doesn't stick.

Soldato
You can't really 'miss', slide in it in, give it a quick shake and you pull out.

As soon as the pizza has hit the stone you can adjust it if you really need to but its rare that I do, just make sure you have enough semolina so it doesn't stick.

Semolina on the peel?

What peel do you use, I have a wood peel but its quick thick, thinking I may be better to get a thinner peel.

Soldato
Semolina on the peel?

What peel do you use, I have a wood peel but its quick thick, thinking I may be better to get a thinner peel.

Yes, on the peel, it really does stop it sticking, a quick flick of the wrist and it's in.

I use wood to launch and the metal one to turn/move/fetch it out.

Soldato
Semolina on the peel?

I shape my dough in semolina so basically both sides end up coated in it. Lovely just like Domino's type dough.

My wood peel is just a bit of 6mm ply wood.

Soldato
Before first use (koda 12) it says to season it but lighting it and leaving it for 30 mins to burn any residue off from the manufacturing process. Did you guys bother with that?

Gas being in demand I don't like wasting it for that length of time.

Soldato
No, I just used it.

Yeah will skip that then, how long roughly to get these up to temp to start cooking, 20mins? I could not see anything in manual to say, and don't want to buy a temp gun.

Also any tips for the cooking process, I know to turn and they only take about 1-2 mins to cook but do you guys leave the gas control on high or turn it down while cooking.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom