The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

This happened to me last week. I saved it by dunking the dough into lots of semolina before shaping and made it easier to work with and less sticky.

Whole thing went terribly. I'd shaped the balls and wrapped in cling film. Put them in the outside fridge which we never usually use. Came to use them around 8pm and they'd all continued to expand and push out of the cling film. Not a big deal as that's happened before, but the fridge wasn't really even cold. So they just stuck to the cling film and even with loads of flour/polenta we lost around half the dough to the cling film!

Was the first time trying to use the outside kitchen, usually i bring my pizza oven into the kitchen. Then it was still around 32C outside and the worktop was warm, so the dough just kept sticking to everything. We then put the dough into the freezer which helped a little.

Had dough/ingredients left yesterday so the wife and i had pizza again. Same issues again. I should've really removed the cling film which the dough was frozen, as once it defrosted it went back to being super sticky.

Pizzas ended up ok in the end, but due to the amount of flour used to make them not stick they tasted a bit too floury which i'm not a fan of :(

Whole thing went terribly. I'd shaped the balls and wrapped in cling film. Put them in the outside fridge which we never usually use. Came to use them around 8pm and they'd all continued to expand and push out of the cling film. Not a big deal as that's happened before, but the fridge wasn't really even cold. So they just stuck to the cling film and even with loads of flour/polenta we lost around half the dough to the cling film!

Was the first time trying to use the outside kitchen, usually i bring my pizza oven into the kitchen. Then it was still around 32C outside and the worktop was warm, so the dough just kept sticking to everything. We then put the dough into the freezer which helped a little.

Had dough/ingredients left yesterday so the wife and i had pizza again. Same issues again. I should've really removed the cling film which the dough was frozen, as once it defrosted it went back to being super sticky.

Pizzas ended up ok in the end, but due to the amount of flour used to make them not stick they tasted a bit too floury which i'm not a fan of :(

Take a look at my link earlier and use solo containers and not cling film? This rings a bell when used frozen dough from shop and it expanded in the wrapping once. Led me to not leave them and container them as had a nightmare like yours. Great learning exercise though.

I had to rescue some very over risen doughballs on teh weekend, I was away and asked my son to take them out the fridge 1.5 hours before we needed them, he decided to take them out 6 hours early! they had completely taken over the containers..

Plenty of flour/semolina was needed to get them usable, and just managed to make them work, just one slightly mis-shaped one when it launched badly and stuck, but I'm at at point I can rescue most mishaps..

I dont fancy buying an Ooni or other device right now but I will try to copy this lady one weekend and see how it goes.
Probably wont be that great but you never know. Might be good enough for me.

Super sticky dough can be a number of reasons. Too high hydration, Overworked, Not enough resting time, too warm (especially when mixing)

Slap and fold and leave to relax will help. But can take a number of goes.

Back
Top Bottom