*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
Started Lego Marvel last night, very fun game I think. AC IV is beginning to get a bit tedious now so I'm going to have a break for a bit

i've got this too but it seems all a bit too childish and repetitive to me.

break things, build things, solve simple puzzle and kill a few little lego baddies then use character "x" to do a certain thing to procede until you get to final boss.

i dunno but i just feel it's built for 8-12 year olds but then why have they added the type of humour only 12+ would understand fully at times?

game just feels mixed up to me overall, trying to appeal to both markets but it's ideal for kids to play and enjoy.

i have only done like 7 or 8 levels out of 120 is it? does it get better or is it pretty much the exact same as what i've described above?

Caporegime
OP
For the guy with nat issues

Assign your console a static IP address using the consoles Mac address as an identifier.

Then assign this static IP address to be DMZ.

That effectively opens that IP address up to gain access to everything online with no firewall protection

Caporegime
OP
I am now on my second Dual Shock 4 controller in the space of 3 weeks!

First one had sticking L1 button after about 3 days, so I returned to Argos who exchanged it. Now the second one is doing the same thing!

I know there are fixes out there on YouTube but it's a design fault, why should I have to fix it myself and risk voiding warranty?

On the other hand, if I return it to Argos again, the issue will only reoccur.

What would you people do?

Why don't you phone Sony and see what they suggest?

Caporegime
OP
I got one of those (though I have no idea where I put it), but the dude mentioned a headset. My understanding of the word headset is it includes a microphone as well. :confused:

Not that it matters to me too much - picked up a headset for 15 quid. The sound quality is awful, but it'll last me a while until something better and not outrageously expensive becomes available.

well that includes a mic so it is a headset albeit a terrible one.

Caporegime
OP
PCM is the best for SQ

I leave it on auto for output as some games on the PS3 weren't designed for 1080P and if you chose 1080P only they would mess up and show in SD instead of 720P or whatever they were designed for. However I have a feeling all games on PS4 will be 1080P so think I may force that on this console.

Caporegime
OP
nice one fellas - will be changing that setup from DTS back to PCM when I get home!

Just having heard the difference DTS sound makes from crappy Dolby Digital I thought forcing it would always give the better quality! - Ta for clarifying - :)

tbh there isn't much in it

all 3 are lossless

PCM is uncompressed the other 2 are compressed.

I doubt you could notice the difference in a blind test which one was which but I stick to PCM anyway because I know it's the best.

Caporegime
OP
? lossless and compressed makes no sense :)

PCM - PS3/PS4 Decodes
Bitstream - Amp Decodes

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1s2gdm/what_to_choose_dts_dolby_pcm_bitstream/ ;)

"DTS MA, Dolby True HD and Linear PCM are all lossless and should sound the same. Linear PCM is raw audio and is not compressed. DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD are compressed but lossless non the less.
There is not one easy choice because it is also dependent on what you are watching and playing. Not all Blu-ray will have every type of audio source. So they will dictate what type of audio to use. And the receiver will pick it up and set it's self properly.
[–]NineSwordsIamStormageddon 2 points 1 month ago
Will the decompression from DTS or Dolby affect the audio in any way? Maybe the (virtual) position of sound sources in the room?
Thanks for the answer.
permalinkparent
[–]Otsel7 3 points 1 month ago
Not at all. They will sound completely identical to the Linear PCM stream once uncompressed. Linear PCM is the best option in my opinion. It is completely raw audio.
permalinkparent
[–]cryoCyanite 1 point 1 month ago
Linear PCM is generally only 2-channel stereo, though. Use Bitstream, which just passes the signal as-is.
permalinkparent
[–]fattipants 6 points 1 month ago
This is the case with toslink/spdif, but not hdmi. 8 uncompressed channels are possible.
permalinkparent
[–]Sey151Sey151 0 points 1 month ago
True but hardly anything uses it because its just to much wasted data space. Considering DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD sound the same and use about a two thirds the space. Don't quote me on this, but I also don't think HDMI v1.0 or v1.1 can send full channel Linear PCM."

Caporegime
OP
A good alternative to PC360s are the HD558s which give an amazing open sound. They don't come with a mic but you can just use something from modmic.com. Saves you some money if you want the open sound but to save a few £. It's a solution many people have opted for.

Why pay like £30 for one of them when the Belkin iphone thing from amazon for £5 does the same job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F8Z6...=1390221737&sr=1-2&keywords=belkin+iphone+mic

Allows you to plug any headphones into it to turn it into a headset. only £5 as well including delivery which is for a well known brand like Belkin is very cheap.

Caporegime
OP
using the same plugged into the ds4 using my pc 330 gamer headset. Works just fine, no problems that I've noticed anyhow..

that already has a mic does it not?

that belkin thing is mainly for use with a pair of headphones to turn basically any headphones you want into a headset not to use with a headset already as that would be pointless no?

Caporegime
OP
I'm using a twin jack splitter as the ds4 only has one jack point, to use the Mic I need to connect the second jack. it works, unless I'm being stupid and only needed to connect one of the jacks? I don't use it much , only for bf4 when playing online

the thing I have linked to is not a twin jack splitter.it's a microphone with a jack for headphones.

it turns any pair of headphones into a headset basically for £5. so you can use say a £200 pair of headphones as a headset, no need to buy an expensive headset and then an expensive pair of cans if you value SQ.

you just buy expensive headphones and use them for both, with the belking thing for ps4, without it for music.

Caporegime
OP
No, I've been threatening to go and buy one for ages after deciding to cancel my preorder but I was just winding her up.

She must have thought we actually had money. :)

To be fair to her she lives a sheltered life. I deal with all of our financial stuff.

It's probably the smart thing to do maybe by March they will have a much larger collection of games and fixed the DS4 peeling issue.

My DS4 has started to peel and shopto want me to phone sony or send the full thing back to them, like the box, console, power lead, headset, etc the full package because my DS4 is now peeling.

It's not only peeled but cracked and torn slightly you can tell with some more use it's going to come completely off like what happened to several of my DS3's the difference being it took them years to peel off, this has happened with not much use and within a couple of months.

What is sony's phone number for the peeling issue?

Caporegime
OP
Nope I had to pay, bit of a joke really.

Usually big companies send you a parcel force bag and some shipping labels and tell you to take it to your local post office, no cost to you at all and no need to package it up either, etc.

How much did royal mail charge you for recorded delivery?

Thinking I might as well just buy 20 thumbsticks off the bay instead.

Caporegime
OP
I think due to the fact that I won't be using kinect and due to the specs, the PS4 has to be the one to get.

So long as you don't constantly complain about it in here then get one otherwise get a xb1 then you can post about every single tiny issue in their thread.

There's a small games catalogue ATM, games are full of bugs (bf4), there is no 3d blu ray support, missing some other media features too, etc, etc. Also the controllers have a huge manufacturing flaw and the rubber peels off without much use.

So don't buy one if you cannot live with the above.

Caporegime
OP
:rolleyes::p

Well it's a new platform so I fully expect issues and bugs. The 3d blu ray support means nothing to me anyway. Media features, not bothered about. I just care about the gaming aspect of it really. And the rubber peeling off? I think that's on the sticks isn't it? And I think they're easily replaceable.

So long as you can live with all of it's flaws then go ahead, but your so picky when it comes to a mobile I'm surprised that you can compromise on a console

Caporegime
OP
The design will be fine they test this stuff to destruction, it be a manufacturing issue.

They will make a lot of these in a day, it only takes a couple of rogue shifts getting something wrong and you can have thousands in the wild.

Those things usually get tested by a robot which can never truly simulate real life usage. All it will do is prod the stick.

Maybe it's the way others are using them?

I've got two controllers and they're both fine (touch wood).

If it's down to how people are using them, then surely their would have been similar issues with previous controllers?

I had 3 PS3 controllers and yes the rubber tore apart at the edges (but it didn't peel) after years of use on two of them. The difference with the DS4 is that it started peeling within a couple of months and then the rubber pretty much split soon after the peeling issue cropped up.

Huge difference there with my PS3 controllers lasting several years before I had to replace the sticks by buying some off ebay for a few quid than ones on the DS4 lasting a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom