*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Associate
Or you got lucky. Second controller is starting to fail on the left stick here - first lasted less then a week of light use. Second better but still - bad design.

My left stick also went, I got the bag of 20 spares off the bay to avoid the faff of sending it back. I don't believe it's a design issue as everyone would be up in arms, probably just a dodgy batch (who knows how large though as most consoles I've seen in demo stands have had the left stick trashed).

Soldato
Maybe it's the way others are using them?

I wish people would stop saying this, the issue isn't how people are using them, it's just that SOME controllers have the problem. As I have said before rubber started flaking from my left stick with under 10 hours of use, it's still coming off like that now, but hasn't completely fallen apart yet. I still have my original DS3 with my PS3 and that is perfectly fine, no wear at all after 6 years of use, so it's nothing to do with how I use it.

Associate
I mainly use one of the red controllers and have noticed the odd little flek of black rubber accumulating around the base of the sticks but no actual peeling or anything like that.

It seems to just be a luck of the draw kind of thing ;)

Soldato
Ended up keeping my PS4 and decided to get rid of my gaming PC to pay for it.

The lure of a shiny new toy was too great after all.

Associate

I've got two controllers and they're both fine (touch wood).

It really isn't down to how they're used - I still have my original PS2 and 3 controllers that after years of use hadn't degraded anywhere near as much as the PS4 left stick did after a few weeks.

Soldato
My left stick also went, I got the bag of 20 spares off the bay to avoid the faff of sending it back. I don't believe it's a design issue as everyone would be up in arms, probably just a dodgy batch (who knows how large though as most consoles I've seen in demo stands have had the left stick trashed).

How much did that cost?

Caporegime
OP
The design will be fine they test this stuff to destruction, it be a manufacturing issue.

They will make a lot of these in a day, it only takes a couple of rogue shifts getting something wrong and you can have thousands in the wild.

Those things usually get tested by a robot which can never truly simulate real life usage. All it will do is prod the stick.

I've got two controllers and they're both fine (touch wood).

If it's down to how people are using them, then surely their would have been similar issues with previous controllers?

I had 3 PS3 controllers and yes the rubber tore apart at the edges (but it didn't peel) after years of use on two of them. The difference with the DS4 is that it started peeling within a couple of months and then the rubber pretty much split soon after the peeling issue cropped up.

Huge difference there with my PS3 controllers lasting several years before I had to replace the sticks by buying some off ebay for a few quid than ones on the DS4 lasting a month or two.

Soldato
Or you got lucky. Second controller is starting to fail on the left stick here - first lasted less then a week of light use. Second better but still - bad design.

I have two controllers, a black one and red one, the red one has seen some light use for 5 weeks, no issues.

An issue that is massively overblown.

Soldato
I have two controllers, a black one and red one, the red one has seen some light use for 5 weeks, no issues.

If it's an issue then it is an issue. If it hasn't happened to your pads then your sticks are fine. If it happens to someone else's pad then it isn't an issue overblown, they have a defective item like I have.

Caporegime
OP

I went through several thumbsticks on the PS3 after years of use, the rubber eventually gave way.

DS4 lasted a couple of months with hardly any use compared to back in the day when I was gaming all the time.

It's not overblown in the slightest imo, the rubber is either really crap or far too thin or both.

Associate
How much did that cost?

£8-9 I think, I figured that should cover me for the life of the console :D

So far the replacements seems to be lasting much better, my first one started to wear down very quickly.

That's an incredibly blinkered view to take, there could be an issue that affected 99% of customers - just because you were in the 1% wouldn't make it a massively overblown issue :p (I'm in no way suggesting the DS4 peeling affects that many people, hopefully it is just a dodgy batch).

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's looking like whilst both platforms are 1080P with an unlocked framerate Tomb Raider on the PS4 stays around 60 FPS whilst on the Xbox one it's mostly around 30 FPS, that's pretty huge.

The Digital Foundry should be interesting.

http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/ex...finitive-edition-ps4xone-framerates-revealed/

Confirmed at 50:35 in this video, specifically mentions the PS4 version.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesradar/b/497373767
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Its more like 50FPS average for the PS4 - Im not a fan of unlocked FPSs, I honestly dont see the point of them other than to obscure the real truth...

EDIT: Actually its not locked, more limited to 60fps when it can hit it. Someone remind me why you cant limit/lock at say 45fps instead?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Its more like 50FPS average for the PS4 - Im not a fan of unlocked FPSs, I honestly dont see the point of them other than to obscure the real truth...

EDIT: Actually its not locked, more limited to 60fps when it can hit it. Someone remind me why you cant limit/lock at say 45fps instead?

ps3ud0 :cool:

It'll be running a triple buffer, that's what it is for. Correctly implemented triple buffering always displays the latest available frame and discards any redundant old ones. The Xbox memory setup is not ideal for that as bandwidth is limited.

Is it me or are DF trying to make out 70% less fps is a good thing in that article? They even try to imply that the developer set the fps on purpose.

Christ they are bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom