• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yes. I would make up the difference within 2-3 titles. Pre-order cheap, play then sell for same price or even more (coving postage) to brake even or at most lose a tenner. Going digital would have cost £60. Gotta be mad or flush with cash going digital imo. Either that or willing to wait years for said title to go on sale for a tenner, but by then the optical version of the PS5 will be cheap anyway.

There will always be a few games every gen one likes to play on launch, so going optical makes much more sense financially. If money is not a problem then yeah I would go digital as the case looks better.

That is exactly why I still buy games on disc. I'm not willing to shell out £60 for a game. Disc games are usually £10 cheaper than digital, then when it's sold on I can usually get up to £30 back which means I pay £10-20 for a game.

Caporegime
Well at least there is something to be happy about, we're past the half way mark from Microsoft showing us the XSX back in December. At most it's only 5 months to go before we can have these beauties in our homes.

Soldato
I'm kind of not really that bothered by the price though I hope Sony doesn't hear me saying that :D We know it'll be around the £500 mark. If it's nearer £400 then great and if it's nearer £600 then I'll just grin and bear it.

A hundred or so pound either way is pretty insignificant in the scheme of things for a ~£500 system that you'll likely have for 5 years plus. It's still way less than half of what you'd pay for a broadly comparable gaming PC. In fact t's about what you'd pay for just the equivalent video card nevermind the rest of the computer!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I agree with everything you said but I'm also wondering if Sony will bring out an Xbox style game pass subscription? If they were a thing and I could pay £5-10 per month for access to the newest titles then I might be tempted to give up on physical media.

I'd probably still go with the physical drive providing the backwards compatibility is half decent though.

Yeah, if they did that, it would change things. But I can’t see that happening. New titles need to be milked at full price for at least 3 months, some even much longer.

That is exactly why I still buy games on disc. I'm not willing to shell out £60 for a game. Disc games are usually £10 cheaper than digital, then when it's sold on I can usually get up to £30 back which means I pay £10-20 for a game.
My latest example is Final Fantasy 7 remake, I had it for a month and sold it to break even due to a good pre-order price :)

That’s why this gen I will not go digital. Let’s see how they treat digital this gen and I will revisit the issue again when the PS6 is released.

Soldato
Yeah,

Even if I don't get around to selling games quickly, I tend to have a trip to CEX with a load and trade them against something I've not played yet.

Value wise, physical is the way to go even if initial cost is higher.

Soldato
I still use the CEX route as well. I'm not paying £59.99 for something I can't trade on. I almost went for TLoU2 digital but in the end I am going to play through it once, trade it in and buy it again digitally when it's less than £20 - assuming it's a must play like most ND games are.

Soldato
Let’s see how they treat digital this gen and I will revisit the issue again when the PS6 is released.

I have a strong feeling that by the time PS6 comes out physical media won't actually be a thing and there won't be a choice to make between physical and digital versions of the console.

If cloud game streaming takes off there might not even be a physical console next time round!

Soldato
If cloud game streaming takes off there might not even be a physical console next time round!

I'm really intrigued to see what happens with streaming this generation. It's a great way to open up gaming to those people who can't justify spending £400+ on a console.

If Sony sold a cheap streaming box which could play the big PS5 releases, I'd be quite interested. Same goes for Microsoft, but with Game Pass (which will likely retain a different (and better) selection of games than the PC version).

Caporegime
I think I'd probably embrace an all-streaming, console-less future providing that every single game got a port to PC so it could be still played offline. PlayStation Now has been "OK" so far, just one or two janky episodes in the two weeks I've been using it. MS and Sony would also need to get their streaming service up to 4K to match Google Stadia. No good having 4K this gen and then going backwards if it was cloud only to 1080p.

Soldato
I think my backlog of PS4 games and the flexibility of being able to buy/sell games second hand would push me towards the physical drive version.

Though if I buy an Xbox next year I'd actually be tempted by a cheaper digital version of that. Primarily as I'd only want it to play Forza/Halo and get access to the Xbox game pass subscription service. So a cut price digital only lower powered version of the Xbox Series X as a secondary console would actually be quite appealing!

Man of Honour
I hate buying physical games now, hassle of changing discs is too much for me :D and with a gigabit connection, redownloading is no hassle if I have to delete a game to make space

I'll definitely be buying the digital edition

Associate
I have a strong feeling that by the time PS6 comes out physical media won't actually be a thing and there won't be a choice to make between physical and digital versions of the console.

A sizeable majority will amass physical libraries for the PS5 and Series X, and those games will need to carry forward, especially with the growing emphasis on backwards compatibility. How will Microsoft or Sony compensate users if the next iteration of consoles are digital only? I highly doubt they will allow us to convert our libraries from physical to digital.

Moreover, I don't like the idea of Microsoft and Sony monopolizing games. You'd think digital would be cheaper, but the pricing is absurd!

Soldato
One theory is that the prices are artificially high so they don't upset the bricks and mortar retailers by undercutting them. If there was no Gamestop, Game, etc. prices may drop. And pigs might fly, is another saying. :p

It's a big part of the reason, I've worked for a couple of supermarket chains in years gone by and the agreements they had with the console manufacturers and publishers were significant when it came to funded promotion (both in-store and on TV/print) and bulk purchase discounts, providing the company could promise to sell a specific number of units.

Plus there's the simple fact that a physical item has a value attached to it, so although retailers can sometimes return stock to suppliers for credit, sometimes they can't which means it gets discounted to sell it through. The only incentive to discount a digital game is to extract some more sales out of it once full-price sales have declined, and it's very unusual to see digital titles get permanent price drops.

Associate
Sweet spot is £399 for consoles, the PS4 just proved that.
I could see them selling the digital edition for that price, recoup the losses from selling games on the PS store without the middleman involved.

The disc version probably ends up being £499.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I recon unless they sort out digital pricing, this won't happen. Only way I would buy a all digital PS5 or 6 is to buy it towards the end of its life cycle and get all the exclusive games cheap digitally.

Back
Top Bottom