• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
With the amount of indie titles and such games releasing on steam etc, pc will never fade out. (Also RTS don’t really work out that well on console)

there’s room for both consoles and pc to coincide. :)

Soldato
Have I got this right, if I want to play my physical FF7R again with the PS5... I’m gonna have to get the standard PS5 with the drive?

I’ve had a google and seems there is no ‘PS5 upgrade’ from Square Enix, just reliant on backwards compatibility. So presume I need the disc drive then?

Wish I could’ve converted my FF7R to digital on PS5 :(

edit: or I’d have to re buy the game for £59.99 on PSN store? (No chance lol)

Soldato
These new consoles are going to put the final nail in the coffin for PC gaming.

Not quite the nail in the coffin, but with the ridiculous absurb prices of pc hardware (more specifically GPU price per performance), consoles are definitely going to shake up the pc market. Gotta be screwed up in the head to spend £1500 to £2k on a whole pc to achieve what a console could do for a 1/3 of that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite the nail in the coffin, but with the ridiculous absurb prices of pc hardware (more specifically GPU price per performance), consoles are definitely going to shake up the pc market. Gotta be screwed up in the head to spend £1500 to £2k on a whole pc to achieve what a console could do for a 1/3 of that.
You can build a high end PC for a grand I reckon, 2070 super, ryzen 7 or equivalent. I wounder how many people buy a while PC though Vs upgrade in stages, which is what I do as cpus last longer. Back on topic, I'll be getting one with a disc as its cheaper long term as I don't keep games once I've finished them.

Soldato
I can see it now, parents buying the digital only one for their children because it's cheaper and then buying disc based games for it.

Soldato
You can build a high end PC for a grand I reckon, 2070 super, ryzen 7 or equivalent. I wounder how many people buy a while PC though Vs upgrade in stages, which is what I do as cpus last longer. Back on topic, I'll be getting one with a disc as its cheaper long term as I don't keep games once I've finished them.

From new parts? I think you would struggle myself.

2070 super is about £500 alone, ryzen 7 is about £300. Giving you £200 for Mobo, Ram, PSU, SSD, Case.

That's assuming you have a Keyboard + Mouse and use an existing TV as a monitor.

You are looking more like £1500 for a spec like that these days unless you buy second hand.

Soldato

Isn't that more to do with Intel not progressing CPU tech for nearly a decade and the consoles having really weak CPUs relative to desktop?

unless you have an 8c CPU right now, I suspect plenty of people on PC will need to upgrade their CPUs within the next 3 years. Just to match the consoles.

Soldato

You wouldn't be able to build a pc for a grand today to match performance of a next gen console, you'd be hard pressed to be fair. You might well need a 2080S for starters if the gpu performance is to be believed. In simple terms most people will see £500 for a whole console or £700 for a gpu (1 piece of a pc build). There's no way you'd be building a pc for a grand blowing more than half that budget already on a GPU.

Point being, there's some serious hardware in the next gen consoles that is more than good enough to make people question what the biggest return on their money will be, especially in these uncertain times we have all witnessed of late. I've seen enough comments on forums and amongst friends or friends online that are questioning the extortionate nature of pc hardware right now and retailers disgusting markups or price gouging, going with the mindset "I'm just going to buy a next gen console, 4k60 OLED gaming instead of being ripped off".

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You wouldn't be able to build a pc for a grand today to match performance of a next gen console, you'd be hard pressed to be fair. You might well need a 2080S for starters if the gpu performance is to be believed. In simple terms most people will see £500 for a whole console or £700 for a gpu (1 piece of a pc build). There's no way you'd be building a pc for a grand blowing more than half that budget already on a GPU.
That is why I am hoping both AMD and Nvidia price their cards more competitively this time around.

Soldato
That is why I am hoping both AMD and Nvidia price their cards more competitively this time around.

They'd have to drop prices right across the board though buddy from top to bottom across the range. And we aren't talking 50 quid here and there, we would be talking 50% mate to bring the price of the new GPU's where it should realistically. Let's be honest and call it what it is, gpu prices right now are disgusting, it's 100% mugging people off end of.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They have to drop prices right across the board the buddy from top to bottom across the range. And we aren't talking 50 quid here and there, we would be talking 50% mate.
Let’s see how it goes. If nvidia keep to current prices or increase then a lot of people will give them a hard time online. They did not have much competition the last 2 gens, but this time it will be different.

Soldato
They'd have to drop prices right across the board though buddy from top to bottom across the range. And we aren't talking 50 quid here and there, we would be talking 50% mate to bring the price of the new GPU's where it should realistically. Let's be honest and call it what it is, gpu prices right now are disgusting, it's 100% mugging people off end of.
Just to add to this it's not just price cuts, it is a massive performance increase in each tier as well. 3060 class card will need to be nipping at the heels of a 2080.

Caporegime
It's not just the price of GPUs that is daft but the PC "loses" one of its biggest advantages with the next gen consoles, the SSD.

But on the other hand, will "proper" usage of that tech be just done by Sony first party? Microsoft and most third parties will still have to cater for HDDs on PC, Xbox One and PS4 for some time.

Soldato
It's not just the price of GPUs that is daft but the PC "loses" one of its biggest advantages with the next gen consoles, the SSD.

But on the other hand, will "proper" usage of that tech be just done by Sony first party? Microsoft and most third parties will still have to cater for HDDs on PC, Xbox One and PS4 for some time.

I think it's going to take even Sony 1st party sometime to truly change the ways things are typically done and really unlock the potential we are told is there.

If it really does prove to be game changing the industry may adopt it, but the best tech isn't always the tech that becomes the norm.

Man of Honour
The case design gave it an extra 3tf

Common misconception based on the Mark Cerney hardware video being purposefully vague as it was before the physical design was revealed. It has a gyro, clocking up when standing to give 3 extra TF, so you have to make a choice between full power or laying it flat.

Soldato
Common misconception based on the Mark Cerney hardware video being purposefully vague as it was before the physical design was revealed. It has a gyro, clocking up when standing to give 3 extra TF, so you have to make a choice between full power or laying it flat.

There goes my coffee :D

Back
Top Bottom