Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 146 62.7%
  • No (other)

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • Pancake

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
Did the full Ubisoft+ catalogue ever make it to PlayStation, whereby you pay extra like EA Play? Or is it just the games they give you as part of PS+ Extra?
There is no extra to pay as far as I can tell. Quite a few titles became available though through their deal. Some things don’t stay forever though I noticed AC Valhalla came and went.

I played Miles Morales but stopped part way through. Now thinking of grabbing Spiderman 2, you think it I need to have finished MM for story continuity? Also never played Spiderman remastered
The story is connected across all 3 games, so you have 2 options : play them all or look up a wiki/YouTube video to get up to speed.

I have a question on Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales. I note there are a number of performance/fidelity modes but the VRR/120hz modes are confusing me a tad. I have a TV that can do 120hz, my question is there any reason why I wouldn't run the 120hz mode (e.g. is the game sacrificing resolution to achieve a higher fps, or is essentially just removing the fps cap)?

I understand the resolutions aren't fixed but what I'm wondering is if the 120hz mode sacrifices rez even more to try and boost the framerate? Tbh I can't really tell looking at it myself but it's annoying me not knowing :)

Many thanks

I have a question on Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales. I note there are a number of performance/fidelity modes but the VRR/120hz modes are confusing me a tad. I have a TV that can do 120hz, my question is there any reason why I wouldn't run the 120hz mode (e.g. is the game sacrificing resolution to achieve a higher fps, or is essentially just removing the fps cap)?

I understand the resolutions aren't fixed but what I'm wondering is if the 120hz mode sacrifices rez even more to try and boost the framerate? Tbh I can't really tell looking at it myself but it's annoying me not knowing :)

Many thanks

This should help. I skipped large parts of the video as i don't have a 120hz TV, but I think the TLDR is that the best mode is 120hz with VRR turned on which makes it 40fps with best possible quality.

rp2000

I played Miles Morales but stopped part way through. Now thinking of grabbing Spiderman 2, you think it I need to have finished MM for story continuity? Also never played Spiderman remastered
Even putting aside story continuity reasons, If you didnt finsih the previous game, surely it would be crazy to buy the next one?

I think both previous spiderman games were truly excellent, but it seems crazy to buy the newest ones if you seemingly werent convinced by the previous installments.

I would suggest complete the original spiderman now.
Play miles morales at christmas because it is kind of a christmas game, snow in nyc etc
and play spidey 2 at some point in the future

Many thanks

From Digital Foundry
Spider-Man 2 includes both a performance and quality mode, which each deliver a stable frame-rate. In addition, there are also options for 60Hz or 120Hz output, with the 120Hz output setting unlocking a 40fps quality mode in addition to the standard 30fps quality mode. Both quality modes use dynamic resolution scaling, ranging from 1440p to 4K. Insomniac's temporal injection is used to handle anti-aliasing duties as usual. Performance mode is 60fps, with dynamic resolutions ranging from 1008p to 1440p.

Finally, there are three bespoke VRR modes - off, smooth or uncapped. Off is obvious but smooth versus uncapped is interesting. Smooth essentially uses VRR to smooth the presentation while retaining the frame-rate cap, while uncapped allows the frame-rate to run free. That means, in performance mode, the frame-rate can go above 60fps, normally 65-80fps, while quality mode is normally 40-60 fps. When using the uncapped performance mode, the game's resolution can drop to an absolute minimum of 936p as a worst-case scenario, but other modes won't drop to this point.

Spiderman has to be played in 60fps.

Once you swing through new York at 60fps, changing back to the fidelity/30fps mode feels like going back to PS3 days.

rp2000

There's a world of difference between 30 and 40fps on a VRR-enabled OLED, surely that's why they mean by quality mode. Quality mode at 30fps? No, thanks:P

@theone8181 If you try 30fps on oled, it's actually going to feel even worse than usual due to the panel's amazing response time and clarity of motion which will make the framerate appear even less smooth because the transitions between frames are more visible.

40 fps feels a lot closer to 60fps and it's unlocked anyways, with a noticeable bump in image clarity.

I played through both previous games on 40fps vrr and it felt pretty great.

Not picking up 2 on release though because I got burned out on some of the subpar open world stuff and the general gameplay loop started to get too repetitive later on but I'll still get it because it's Spidey:P

It's Tekken 8 all weekend anyways so time to bring out my arcade stick:P

There's a world of difference between 30 and 40fps on a VRR-enabled OLED, surely that's why they mean by quality mode. Quality mode at 30fps? No, thanks:p

@theone8181 If you try 30fps on oled, it's actually going to feel even worse than usual due to the panel's amazing response time and clarity of motion which will make the framerate appear even less smooth because the transitions between frames are more visible.

40 fps feels a lot closer to 60fps and it's unlocked anyways, with a noticeable bump in image clarity.

Not picking up 2 on release though because I got burned out on some of the subpar open world stuff and the general gameplay loop started to get too repetitive later on but I'll still get it because it's Spidey:p

It's Tekken 8 all weekend anyways so time to bring out my arcade stick:p

I'll let you know once I buy a newer OLED that supports HDMI 2.1 and VRR :p

I mean i'm sure 40 is better than 30, but I've never really seen 40 to experience it with my own eyes. I think Youtube only supports 30, 60 and 120.

p.s. I didn't even know Tekken 8 is upon us, thought it was next year.

Sorry I fell for it - assuming by now that a performance/120hz option would actually mean 120fps :D
Next Gen, promise!

rp2000

There's a world of difference between 30 and 40fps on a VRR-enabled OLED, surely that's why they mean by quality mode. Quality mode at 30fps? No, thanks:p

Not picking up 2 on release though because I got burned out on some of the subpar open world stuff and the general gameplay loop started to get too repetitive later on but I'll still get it because it's Spidey:p

It's Tekken 8 all weekend anyways so time to bring out my arcade stick:p
Sorry I actually meant lcd :(. Although I did play through hogwarts on my C2 and felt the same. It's the downside of cutting edge I guess. Far less noticeable when watching actual TV though rather than games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom