The Official Prepar3D 2.0 Thread

Associate
I got it early this morning and just had a few test flights. Seems very good so far, performance is definitely better than FSX however we now have more settings we can tinker with. Weather looks great now and flying though clouds seems much more realistic instead of the spinning effect when you get near to them.

I'm flying with an i7 4770k at about 4.4ghz and a GTX780 so I expected it to run great and I haven't been disappointed. Just a note though, to get the default planes for FSX you have to manually transfer them over P3D doesn't come with them pre-installed.

Associate
I got it early this morning and just had a few test flights. Seems very good so far, performance is definitely better than FSX however we now have more settings we can tinker with. Weather looks great now and flying though clouds seems much more realistic instead of the spinning effect when you get near to them.

I'm flying with an i7 4770k at about 4.4ghz and a GTX780 so I expected it to run great and I haven't been disappointed. Just a note though, to get the default planes for FSX you have to manually transfer them over P3D doesn't come with them pre-installed.

Sounds promising :D Any chance of some screen shots?

Associate
Associate
LM have made it clear that 2.0 is a new product and there are no discounts to move from 1.x to 2. Bit like moving from XP9 to XP10 of FS9 to FSX. If you bought P3D and are still in the refund period they've said it's ok to get a refund for 1.x and then to buy 2.0.

Associate

Interesting, as I thought Tim Fuch's from REX stated the clouds were no different from FSX, and are still flat bitmaps :confused: fog is certainly improved however.

Reports seem rather mixed at the moment, so I'm holding back for a while. I have FSX and P3D1.4 and prefer FSX... I did try using P3D exclusively, but got fed-up with its front end and custom advanced weather bugs... plus I found FSX performed better, when suitably tweaked.

Q's... What is the custom/advanced weather set up like?.... and is it working properly.

I've seen a video that shows what seems like better Autogen, but I can still see it popping up in the distance, so is it really improved?... its hard to tell on the vid as the quality is poor, and the camera seems zoomed-out, which pushes the distance away.

I've read that the new terrain shadows draw very close to the AC and look awful as they pop into view, is this correct?

Before I sink £40 in to this new sim I want to be sure it really is better than FSX & 1.4 and not just early buyers justifying their new purchase ;) … hoping this is the future of FS but I want to be positive before I spend yet more cash on this hobby :)

Edit: for another question... What is the AA like, and is the lack of fullscreen, which seems like a bummer, causing issues [vsync]?

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I think the clouds are the same however they are 3d as when flown into you spend a short amount of time encapsulated before the scene fades back in. I've tried to install and run the Aerosoft Airbus X (installed fine) however it doesn't run properly, problems with lights and textures not loading properly.

Autogen no longer pops up as far as I can see, seems much more of it too and my slider is on Normal. The colour palette is much darker too which makes flying at night more realistic. Need to find a way of recording some videos as shadowplay doesn't work with it not being full screen. Performance has improved however it can still crawl along at 15-20fps once the settings are on max - I tired and had a fatal error after about 15 seconds of flying.

Still trying different things however I think those wanting to fly the airliners should stay with FSX for now. That's what I am planning on doing.

Associate
LM have made it clear that 2.0 is a new product and there are no discounts to move from 1.x to 2. Bit like moving from XP9 to XP10 of FS9 to FSX. If you bought P3D and are still in the refund period they've said it's ok to get a refund for 1.x and then to buy 2.0.

I was referring to pmdg. I know I will have to cough up another 40 quid for p3d. Cheers

Associate
Ah well bit of a daft name really! Although the shadows look nice (I'm running them on max) the general consensus is that they massively impact on frame rates - it's ok with the standard aircraft but I have a feeling once we get the 737NGX et al going we will be back to low FPS if we want the DX11 visual goodies!

Associate
well Im leaving work soon, not sure I will be able to resist the temptation to buy this tonight........

Paul do you have any addons installed in that video?

Bah!... I caved in :D the only way to find out if its any good is to try for your self. The only trouble is LM is getting hammered, making even getting onto their site very slooooow.

Plus, you have a 60day money back period, so there is no risk in trying it out... I'm downloading using the segmented files, which is going to take an hour or three, such is the load on LM's servers :( should have got in early before the US woke up.

Back
Top Bottom