The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
Yeah I know, just got excited when I found for that price. I don't get on with wireless and always seem to get intererence from somethign or other.

Got a mint condition 2013 for £50 so that will do. Sold mine for about the same so balances out.

What one did you sell for £50?

Having tried both my mixamps I will say that with a custom EQ the TR is easily better, forgot about the hum you got with the older model at higher volumes but its just not there on the TR and makes quite a difference.

Sticking the TR in one of the original presets and the sound is just odd, very flat and sounds compressed - odd that it ships that way really.

For reference my mixamp is the model before the orange bottomed one, has the presets but I forget which year it is (2013 I think)

Soldato
What one did you sell for £50?

Having tried both my mixamps I will say that with a custom EQ the TR is easily better, forgot about the hum you got with the older model at higher volumes but its just not there on the TR and makes quite a difference.

Sticking the TR in one of the original presets and the sound is just odd, very flat and sounds compressed - odd that it ships that way really.

For reference my mixamp is the model before the orange bottomed one, has the presets but I forget which year it is (2013 I think)

2013 one, I never noticed any hiss on it but then I'm trying not to destroy my hearing :) I got another 2013, but you know, not opposed to trying a TR again now that I know about the custom EQ (although I don't play FPS often so beastmode may not be suitable), would be an extra 30 dubloons for a new one.

Last edited:
Soldato
2013 one, I never noticed any hiss on it but then I'm trying not to destroy my hearing :) I got another 2013, but you know, not opposed to trying a TR again now that I know about the custom EQ (although I don't play FPS often so beastmode may not be suitable), would be an extra 30 dubloons for a new one.

I don't think I would replace a working 2013 with a TR - mine has a power cut out issue (that i have since learnt is likely the cable :roll eyes:) and getting a TR solved that and let me stick other one on the Xbone that I don't use as much!

Soldato
I don't think I would replace a working 2013 with a TR - mine has a power cut out issue (that i have since learnt is likely the cable :roll eyes:) and getting a TR solved that and let me stick other one on the Xbone that I don't use as much!

You can't say it's easily better and then say don't buy it ;) I didn't keep my TR long enough to spot any issues. I just know I had the surround on and wondered why it sounded like I was in a tunnel.

Soldato
You can't say it's easily better and then say don't buy it ;) I didn't keep my TR long enough to spot any issues. I just know I had the surround on and wondered why it sounded like I was in a tunnel.

That was after a back to back listen - prior to that I didn't think there was anything in it and would probably have said the 2013 was better here and the TR there etc!

Soldato
Oh I'm confused again now. Sticking with the 2013, can't go wrong for £50.

Purchased these last night, I just love the aesthetic of them.

32667_70d4798e34472ae8ead8cd8253bfca94.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
you don't get better headphones than them tbh for competitive gaming.

you can bass mod them also i think if you think they lack bass. same mod as all other akg's. you remove some film using tweezers. not the hardest mod in the world.

my lime q701's are an acquired taste

http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f0/900x900px-LL-f0eb196a_IMG_4560.jpeg

but "gaming" headsets usually take on this sort of styling but never achieve the class of akg's

Soldato
The DT770 are really good. As a non competitive gamer I find the isolation and the extra bass really good. Seriously doubting if I need those AKG now or if I should sell them on. They cost me £150 but £210 total with imports.

Must say, not as bassy as I thought but then I'm currently running Amp -> RCA -> 3.5mm into iPad so maybe iPad is the reason.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The DT770 are really good. As a non competitive gamer I find the isolation and the extra bass really good. Seriously doubting if I need those AKG now or if I should sell them on. They cost me £150 but £210 total with imports.

Must say, not as bassy as I thought but then I'm currently running Amp -> RCA -> 3.5mm into iPad so maybe iPad is the reason.

no they aren't bassy at all.

the bass is clinical not boomy.

they aren't a bassy headphone. the only bassy headphone i've owned was the fidelio x1's. i miss their bass. they weren't clinical though more muddy but the bass sounded good especially through a tube dac.

FYI I own the DT770, HD600, HD700, HD558 and Q701's. I've owned more in the past plus I have HD25-1 II's and momentums for portable use.

DT770 is for when I don't want to annoy anyone else because it's closed. I don't use it for anything else. It's very good but I prefer open headphones.

I will one day buy the Fidelio X2 to complete my collection I think.

Soldato
Just got a pair of X2 for £126, they had one pair in Amazon WH deals (unused, damaged box) and it's £20 off any item over £100 which ends today :D I feel that will be the end of it now, I'll sell the K7XX I think. Not sure if I really need to keep the Magni for the X2 either.

So glad I gave the WH deals one last check. Plus I can get a BoomPro with these and it's no hassle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read that the current X2 are not Philips made and people don't rate them, no idea how true this is and only found out when a mate asked what I had and found this out researching them?!!?

I do really like the AKG headphones and esp in lime green, if they had a std 3.5mm jack I would have got them but I love my Vmoda boom mic far too much to not be able to use it :(

Soldato
I read that the current X2 are not Philips made and people don't rate them, no idea how true this is and only found out when a mate asked what I had and found this out researching them?!!?

I do really like the AKG headphones and esp in lime green, if they had a std 3.5mm jack I would have got them but I love my Vmoda boom mic far too much to not be able to use it :(

There was a few issues from what I know when they switched manufacturer. The issues was that a small amount of glue was used on the earpads which meant they were hard to replace,they were also the ones people complained about sound wise, something to do with Gibson buying WOOX from Philips and taking over manufacturing.
Needless to say if mine have the issue I'll send back but I'll be disappointed due to the price I paid.

Re: Your BoomPro, just need a little adapter, picture links at bottom http://www.head-fi.org/t/771894/akg-mini-xlr-ta3f-to-3-5mm-adapter-for-v-moda-boompro-uk-eu

50b10150-c14a-4fa6-9a20-89bc39d07694

Last edited:
Soldato
A little update. I got the Mixamp Gen 1 (aka 2013/2014) and tested it over the weekend with my Fidelio X2, DT770 and DT990 Premium (250). I ruled the DT770 out pretty quickly, for a closed headphone I was expecting a LOT more bass and it didn't really seem to excel at any of the games I was putting it through.
The X2's, as good as I expected them to be, strong (loose?) bass on some games but pretty much like the X1, a strong contender for keeping, only niggle is I don't find them really comfortable but it's not a huge issue.
The DT990's I actually really liked, they were super comfortable and light and although nowhere near as much bass as the X2, they had a very tight bass that still made the games feel alive. The treble seemed quite harsh but this also made some things really clear like footsteps.

I have AKG K712 on the way as I got them for a bargain £144, I also have the K7XX which I will likely move on without opening and try to get my money back.
I am not happy with the mixamp as I have noticed a lot of hissing due to having the volume at max whilst double amping with the Magni. Granted I don't need to double amp the X2 but if I get other headphones in future then I'm in that same situation.
I am going to give the Creative X7 a try, the combined amp/DAC solution appeals to me and it is pretty future proof. I now see that chat issue is resolved with a dongle so it will provide all the functionality of the mixamp + Magni and more albeit for about £150 more than I paid for those two items.

Caporegime
OP
Oh lol. Well I'm holding on to both until I make my final decision anyway. X7 just looks really nice and tidy and I love its versatility.

the reason for setting it low as opposed to high is to mitigate noise from straining the mixamps weakish amp.

basically the less stress an amp is under the cleaner it sounds. that goes for any amp like AVR's for home cinema setups. they all sound at their best at lower volumes or when only powering say 2 speakers as opposed to 7

stick the mixamp on as low as you can whilst still getting enough sound to double amp.

Soldato
Decided to stick with X7, just a much tidier solution and I find the vertical soundstage when gaming to be a lot better than the Mixamp. Probably going to stick to X2's over the K712, they just don't have that bass kick like the X2 and when firing a shotgun in The Division for example, it just sounds weak.

Back
Top Bottom