The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
Sonny, do you think the K7XX is worth having over the K712 or X2? I'm having a mare making a decision. I liked the K712's but I have a feeling the new Mixamp TR is making things sound awful in 'surround', this video shows it really well. I thought it sounded echoy in The Division.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
that mixamp hasn't been reviewed by MLE on head fi.

i have the previous non tr version. it sounds very good.

unless your a streamer i don't think you need the tr version - it's built for streamers iirc.

the kzxx is the same driver again a modded version of my q701, k702 and k712 pro.

they are all very similar. same driver but modded differently. the x2 is a fun headphone (warm) whereas the akg's are more reference (neutral).

turn surround off or mess about with the settings in division. try a different game. some games just don't sound well or make sure it's all set up right.

i play the division and it sounds perfect for me. but i'm using a different mixamp. you probably have some setting enabled somewhere (console, mixamp or the game) which is making it sound funny.

it's not the headphones at fault it's somwhere else.

best test for your headphones is music and movies using a 2.0 stereo dac/amp to see what headphones you like. for gaming nothing comes close to AKG's but they are very hard to power. the mixamp should be turned to game only and pretty high on the volume.

Soldato
I tried it on Destiny and seemed the same with guns firing, I do not recall thinking it was echoy/reverby on my 2013 amp with the X1's though. I got some DT770's off the MM for £50 so I'll give those a try next, last resort will be the X2 as the only thing putting me off them is that I had the X1 so it doesn't really seem like getting something new if that makes sense.
I made an offer on some K7XX first batch brand new but I think the novelty of having a ltd edition caught me a bit.

Soldato
I have the mixamp TR and a previous version and there are some issues on the new TR - Astro forums are full of it and some profiles to help it along so well worth a read.

Astro are saying that the new TR is how it should sound so there is lots of infighting ongoing..

I use mine with X2's and I don't seem to have as bad an issue as some, I would say it sounds different to my older mix amp but thats hooked to the Xbone so I can't be too bothered by it or i would switch back!

Soldato
Ah! I knew it couldn't just be me. SOunded like I was playing in an underground tunnel. Back to a 2013.

Actually I like the look of the X7

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go on the Astro forums there is a chap who has made some presets for the TR - Beast mode 2.0 is very good and sounds incredible - kinda forgot I have replaced the 'Astro' preset with his!

Caporegime
OP
Ah! I knew it couldn't just be me. SOunded like I was playing in an underground tunnel. Back to a 2013.

Actually I like the look of the X7

creative X7? it's £300. overkill IMO but if you have the money then it's the best thing ever made.

i would sell that mixamp and buy the same version as me. no need for an x7.

Soldato
Yeah I like how it looks and it uses different surround processing plus the inbuilt amp is pretty beefy. My head knows a £50 mix amp will suffice though.
Interesting about the presets Shimmy, that's one big advantage of the latest model.

You have the 5.8 wireless don't you Sonny? One on the bay for 25

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah I like how it looks and it uses different surround processing plus the inbuilt amp is pretty beefy. My head knows a £50 mix amp will suffice though.
Interesting about the presets Shimmy, that's one big advantage of the latest model.

You have the 5.8 wireless don't you Sonny? One on the bay for 25

i have both a 5.8 wireless plus the mixamp pro 2nd gen

http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/mixamp-gen2/MIXAMP-GEN2.html#start=1

that model.

i don't use the 5.8 wireless much any more as on the ps4 you need to have a lead from the controller into the amp which means your using the crap ds4 for voice comms which degrades bluetooth quality and the sound quality is worse than usb.

the older version of mine is currently £20 cheaper

http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/mixamp™-pro---gen-1/3AM99-HBU9X-975.html

don't think there is much in them tbh. i just went for the newer one coz it's newer. however i've read the older £20 cheaper model is actually better.

i'll be re-doing all my setups in future and I may decide to use the 5.8 solely for xb1 and the 2nd gen pro for ps4. i use the 2nd gen pro for both currently.

my 5.8 is just sitting in a box should i decide to go wireless again at some point.

Soldato
Ah yes I had a Gen one which I think is also called the 2013? The older ones had the buttons further down. I wish they named them better so you could easier distinguish what is what. Thanks for slapping sense into me about the X7, would have regretted that very quickly.
I'm going to get everythign as cheap as possible (got Magni 2 uber for £115) and so I can spend most on the headphones or multiple pairs even.

Mixamp Seems an ok price, got all the cables I need already.

Or this and try flog the headset.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
i mainly use hd558's but tbh the issue is that are too easy to drive (don't need any power). i stick the volume too low and sound starts to cut out as not enough power going to the second driver (the way they are wired up internally isn't great i imagine). i put it up and it's too loud so i stick it more to chat then amp the sound so more power but lower volume.

i'm thinking of selling them and using solely my Q701's for gaming.

or i may keep them for pc gaming and q701's for console.

Soldato
OFF TOPIC POST!!!!!!!!!!!11111one

x eleventy million :D

Started reading back through the thread and thought 'my there's lots of audio discussion in here'.

At least it's shown me I can't just plug my Denon/Grado/HD25 into the DS4 and expect something decent.

Scurries off to look at this mixamp malarky :D

Caporegime
OP
x eleventy million :D

Started reading back through the thread and thought 'my there's lots of audio discussion in here'.

At least it's shown me I can't just plug my Denon/Grado/HD25 into the DS4 and expect something decent.

Scurries off to look at this mixamp malarky :D

hd25's are crap for gaming the others will be better.

the ds4 is awful for SQ and it degrades the bluetooth connection.

Soldato
Yeah I know, just got excited when I found for that price. I don't get on with wireless and always seem to get intererence from somethign or other.

Got a mint condition 2013 for £50 so that will do. Sold mine for about the same so balances out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Opinion on DT990 Premium 250ohm at just over £100?

250 ohm means you need a really good amp.

good headphones but not for using with a mixamp unless your double amping.

double amping also has it's own issues.

DT770 is best for closed as is the hyper x clouds.

Fidelio X range for fun (bass) and all rounders.

AKG 7 range for ultimate in competitive gaming and expansive sound.

Back
Top Bottom