The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
I'm looking for an easy plug in and play option - wireless. Preferably one i can use with other devices.

I think the best options between £80 - 120 is the px4 vs astro a40.

Which one would you suggest? Any other better options?

PSN Puki85

Caporegime
OP
Out of those two the astro is better but they don't compare to proper headphones.

You cannot really use them with other devices though. You can only do that with proper headphones.

For that budget I would get a second hand 5.8 MIXAMP which is the wireless one, HD 595's which I'm currently selling in the members market. Plus a clip on mic.

The 595's are mid fi headphones and can be used for music and movies.

Gaming headsets however have terrible sound quality in comparison and therefore aren't suitable to be used for music or movies.

Also immersive gaming is terrible with gaming headsets.

Soldato
Out of those two the astro is better but they don't compare to proper headphones.

You cannot really use them with other devices though. You can only do that with proper headphones.

For that budget I would get a second hand 5.8 MIXAMP which is the wireless one, HD 595's which I'm currently selling in the members market. Plus a clip on mic.

The 595's are mid fi headphones and can be used for music and movies.

Gaming headsets however have terrible sound quality in comparison and therefore aren't suitable to be used for music or movies.

Also immersive gaming is terrible with gaming headsets.

Mixamp-can only find for £110 lowest
595s - £80 new
That's already £190!

Caporegime
OP
MIXAMP go for £50-£70 on eBay.

HD595 on members market for £70.

Clip on mic £1.50 from DX.

You wanna buy cheaper then get creative aurvana live brand new from ocuk for £50 which come with a free clip on mic.

Soldato
MIXAMP go for £50-£70 on eBay.

HD595 on members market for £70.

Clip on mic £1.50 from DX.

You wanna buy cheaper then get creative aurvana live brand new from ocuk for £50 which come with a free clip on mic.

Tempting! Will search around. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts for members market

Caporegime
OP
Trust me the difference in performance and sound quality in a decent pair of headphones is worlds ahead of headsets.

The biggest problem is that you really need a MIXAMP for consoles and they aren't cheap.

The good points are the headphones can be used with anything else no problems. Smart phones, laptops, tablets, avr, PC, etc, etc.

MIXAMP work across both consoles too so it's good for people with more than one console.

Mad lust envy on head fi gives a break down of headphones for gaming use, it's worth reading the first post in his thread.

Soldato
I'm looking for an easy plug in and play option - wireless. Preferably one i can use with other devices.

I think the best options between £80 - 120 is the px4 vs astro a40.

Which one would you suggest? Any other better options?

PSN Puki85

Playstation Pulse and 2.0 wireless headsets are both plug and play with built in mics, i personally think they sound great but im not an audiofile, compared to the TV speakers on low as thats my only other option when the kids are in bed i cant complain one bit

they will be wired with other things but the Pulse headset has an audio in jack on the dongle that allows you to plug your phone/mp3 player into and it will transmit that audio to the headset

Caporegime
OP
I think sony use bluetooth for their headsets and the bluetooth profile on the consoles doesn't support apt-x, which means the quality of the audio is simply terrible.

The only time I would ever use bluetooth is if it was apt-x or better (should get better in the future).

optical out / hdmi are the only decent outputs.

If people want to do a gaming headset on the cheap and want wireless then I have 2 belkin iphone mic's with a 3.5mm jack, I would be willing to sell them on the MM for £5 each if someones interested in them (belkin sell them for £20-£25 RRP) and then all you need is some Koss KSC75's (£12) or Portapro's (£30) or HTF600's (£30) and that setup would be as good as the sony bluetooth headsets IMO but cost you £17-£35 and they plug straight into the jack on the controller, so they would be wired to the controller which is in itself wireless.

Caporegime
I think sony use bluetooth for their headsets and the bluetooth profile on the consoles doesn't support apt-x, which means the quality of the audio is simply terrible.

The only time I would ever use bluetooth is if it was apt-x or better (should get better in the future).

optical out / hdmi are the only decent outputs.

If people want to do a gaming headset on the cheap and want wireless then I have 2 belkin iphone mic's with a 3.5mm jack, I would be willing to sell them on the MM for £5 each if someones interested in them (belkin sell them for £20-£25 RRP) and then all you need is some Koss KSC75's (£12) or Portapro's (£30) or HTF600's (£30) and that setup would be as good as the sony bluetooth headsets IMO but cost you £17-£35 and they plug straight into the jack on the controller, so they would be wired to the controller which is in itself wireless.

I don't think its bluetooth. They need USB dongles, whereas if they were BT they would just use the built in BT on PS3/PS4/Vita.

rp2000

Soldato
I bought the Sony Wireless 2.0 headset yesterday. A few questions:

1) Can someone explain what the sound/chat button on the headset does?
2) When I connected them to my phone (with the wire), none off the buttons seem to do anything. Is that normal?
3) Is there much benefit in using the game profiles you get with the companion PS4 app or just a gimmick?

Fourth point isn't really a question, but, I'm naive expecting these to be as loud as in ear headphones right? I guess the "speaker" in them is much closer to my ear drums so these don't seem as loud, although I imagine I'll get used to it. On both the PS4 and on my phone on max volume it didn't feel loud, although they drowned out outside sounds just as well as my standard in ear headphones.

Apart from that pleased. Very comfortable and not as heavy as they looked. The USB adaptor is a bit annoying (PS4 only has 2 slots) and the charging cable is ridiculously short (but I think I read somewhere that the shorter the cable the faster it charges, so maybe that's why).

rp2000

I bought a pair to replace my Soundblaster Recon3D so that I didn't need to keep switching the Recon's from PS4 to PC and back again all the time. I dsr'd them within days though. The lack of volume was terrible. Ended up buying a pair of Soundblaster Tactic3D's to use with PC and stuck with the Recon's as permanant solution on PS4.

The problem seemed to be the inabilty to change the volume in audio settings fr usb when a usb headset is connected. When I connected the set to the controller I was able to alter volume in audio settings, but as soon as I disconnected from controller the volume went back to mid level and greyed out.

Caporegime
OP
I don't think its bluetooth. They need USB dongles, whereas if they were BT they would just use the built in BT on PS3/PS4/Vita.

rp2000

The BT controller is very limited in the PS4.

For example on the PS3 you could plug in a BT headset and up to 7 controllers.

The PS4 can only take 4 controllers and no BT headsets apart from official sony ones.

So that could be the reason why you need the dongle. I haven't bothered looking into the sony headset tbh because for the money there are better options SQ wise.

The best setups all involve a mixamp if you want to use a mic, otherwise a simple DAC/AMP will suffice they aren't wireless though and never will be.

I'm willing to bet a wireless mixamp + porta pros + dx clip on mic (total cost around £80-£90) would blow the sony headsets apart.

Associate
Sonny,

I'm now running:

2011 Wired Mixamp (With the PS4 chat cable from turtle beach )
Philips Fidelio X1
V Moda Boom Pro

Thanks for the recommendation, really liking the set up. The headphones are great for gaming on the PS4 and music/movies on the laptop.

Caporegime
OP
Have you read through the dedicated thread in sound city?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18571647

It's worth a look just to see how good those headphones are. I also own a pair of them. It's a bit of a long read but has a lot of info about them and how good they are for the money.

They are also on inner fidelity's wall of fame. Which means he rates them as the best open cans in the world at their price point.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open

I use mine for immersive gaming, music and movies. There RRP is £299 ($499 in America) I believe in the UK (available for much cheaper though, in fact roughly half that price).

I used to use HD595's for competitive gaming but selling them (on the members market) as I have upgraded to a newer version of them.

The fidelio X1's are the best "all round" home headphone you can buy at any price point IMO simply because they are easier to drive than all the more expensive options apart from the HE400.

They should open up with use, you should see their sound improve over time, I believe they peak after 100 hours of use (burn in period). So things should sound even better once you get more hours on them.

I pretty much now have all my "end game" cans, that's me done, no need to buy another headphone again, just need to look after these and they should last me a lifetime.

I'm sure you agree the build quality, sound, comfort and feeling you get from the X1's is better than any gaming headset you have ever used in the past. The fact you can also use them for anything (not just gaming) is a huge plus point and that way you can enjoy them even more.

Associate
Bought the Sony 2.0 Wireless Headset but am not really happy with the sound at all. Not enough bass for me and they don't seem to be very loud. Also, my friends say my voice sounds robotic in chat.

I am thinking about getting either the Turtle Beach PX4's or Sony Pulse Elite's. Which would be most recommended?

Back
Top Bottom