The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
Anyone using a px4 a couple of days ago the audio was fine but now im getting nothing at all ive tried doing the instructions for pairing ect but nada still the same anyone got any ideas please?

Associate
Sound is very subjective and just because you own an onkyo setup doesn't mean you know what mid fi or hi-fi is. For all we know it could be a £200 5.1 onkyo setup or a £2000 setup. I'm guessing it's the first if you think the Corsair vengeance sounds amazing.

If you were to game using some bass modded AKG Q701's using a decent amp, I imagine you would be shocked and the Q701 is considered high end mid-fi. Just imagine what a top end hi-fi set of headphones would sound like.

But when you make the jump from top end mid-fi to hi-fi your paying hundreds of pounds for small improvements.

I think the Q701 will be the last headphone I buy.

Collection as it stands: HD600 (for special occasions), HD558 (current gaming can), HD25-1 II (portable can), Fidelio X1 (my fun can for dat BASS) and Q701 (in the post will be my new gaming can).

Without a mixamp is there anyway to go headphones/mic route with a clip on cheap mic that will still sound good to others?

Or is the mixamp used to make use of the optical connection?

Caporegime
OP
Without a mixamp is there anyway to go headphones/mic route with a clip on cheap mic that will still sound good to others?

Or is the mixamp used to make use of the optical connection?

My mic cost £1.50 delivered and I haven't had any complaints, sure it's not crystal clear but it doesn't need to be. So long ans people can understand me I don't care if it's crystal clear tbh.

The only real way to use headphones and a mic is a mixamp.

There are other options but they are rubbish or don't use the equipment to it's full potential.

You could always run a toslink DAC/AMP and then use the supplied headset too. So you have the earpiece in and then headphones over the earpiece but I imagine the earpiece would effect sounds in whatever ear you had it in as it would be blocking the ear canal restricting the headphones.

Basically you want a mixamp plus some decent headphones and a cheap mic for a decent setup

Associate
My mic cost £1.50 delivered and I haven't had any complaints, sure it's not crystal clear but it doesn't need to be. So long ans people can understand me I don't care if it's crystal clear tbh.

The only real way to use headphones and a mic is a mixamp.

There are other options but they are rubbish or don't use the equipment to it's full potential.

You could always run a toslink DAC/AMP and then use the supplied headset too. So you have the earpiece in and then headphones over the earpiece but I imagine the earpiece would effect sounds in whatever ear you had it in as it would be blocking the ear canal restricting the headphones.

Basically you want a mixamp plus some decent headphones and a cheap mic for a decent setup

Alright cheers.

I have a USB mic and headphones already but like I said above the Blue Yeti is too sensitive even with gain turned right down.

I think I'll just grab a headset like the Corsair Vengeance or G35s and be done with it.

Thanks for the help

Associate
Have seen a few posts saying that gaming headset wise the only real option for decent sound is the Sennheiser range at top end.

What would be the models to look out for?

Thanks

Caporegime
OP
Have seen a few posts saying that gaming headset wise the only real option for decent sound is the Sennheiser range at top end.

What would be the models to look out for?

Thanks

they are very overpriced for what you get.

put it this way a second hand mixamp + half decent pair of gaming headphones + mic would cost roughly the same as a sennheiser gaming headset.

the only difference being there would be zero easy upgrade path whereas with the mixamp you can sell the headphones and buy another, etc.

this is what I did I originally had HTF600 sold them for HD595 then sold them for HD558 now I have the Q701 arriving any day now and my HD558 is brand new and only been used twice, I may keep it because it's easier to drive or I may sell it for 2/3rds of the price it costs brand new in order to fund a decent headphone amp I can use to double amp from the mixamp or be fed by my AUNE T1 USB DAC/AMP as the internal AMP isn't the greatest.

plus with headphones you can use them for other things (music and movies), on public transport (if you buy closed cans like CAL or DT770, etc) but a gaming headset can only really be used for skype and gaming, you would look stupid wearing one on the train for example.

either way any sennheiser gaming headset priced at £100+ should be decent.

Soldato
Sound is very subjective and just because you own an onkyo setup doesn't mean you know what mid fi or hi-fi is. For all we know it could be a £200 5.1 onkyo setup or a £2000 setup. I'm guessing it's the first if you think the Corsair vengeance sounds amazing.

The point of my post was to inform anyone with a similar headset that it works quite well on the PS4, not for you to **** on.

Associate
they are very overpriced for what you get.

put it this way a second hand mixamp + half decent pair of gaming headphones + mic would cost roughly the same as a sennheiser gaming headset.

the only difference being there would be zero easy upgrade path whereas with the mixamp you can sell the headphones and buy another, etc.

this is what I did I originally had HTF600 sold them for HD595 then sold them for HD558 now I have the Q701 arriving any day now and my HD558 is brand new and only been used twice, I may keep it because it's easier to drive or I may sell it for 2/3rds of the price it costs brand new in order to fund a decent headphone amp I can use to double amp from the mixamp or be fed by my AUNE T1 USB DAC/AMP as the internal AMP isn't the greatest.

plus with headphones you can use them for other things (music and movies), on public transport (if you buy closed cans like CAL or DT770, etc) but a gaming headset can only really be used for skype and gaming, you would look stupid wearing one on the train for example.

either way any sennheiser gaming headset priced at £100+ should be decent.

Do many second hand mix amps come up for sale though? Don't seem to be many around.

May go for Sennheiser. COnsidering it would still use USB for game/chat sound, are they really that much better than the competition?

Soldato
Well that wasnt too bad took the broken px4 back to where i got it gave me my money back no problems at all guy even remembered me buying it. No Audio though till next weekend as thats when im getting some A40s (shhhhh Sonny hehe) :)

Caporegime
Just ordered the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0. It gets great reviews that compare it to headsets double the price, and isn't a bad price at all at really. I wanted neat and wireless, and it seems like it will do the job fine. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0. It gets great reviews that compare it to headsets double the price, and isn't a bad price at all at really. I wanted neat and wireless, and it seems like it will do the job fine. :)

You should be happy with them, as i am pretty happy with mine. They are not brilliant by any means, but are wireless easy to set up and decent sound and a very nice mic. If you want an all in one solution with decent sound i'd recommend them, if you want them for top end gaming then not so much.

Caporegime
You should be happy with them, as i am pretty happy with mine. They are not brilliant by any means, but are wireless easy to set up and decent sound and a very nice mic. If you want an all in one solution with decent sound i'd recommend them, if you want them for top end gaming then not so much.

Wireless, decent sound and a nice mic is all I'm lookiing for, so sounds great. :)

Back
Top Bottom