• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ray Tracing Thread - Read the First Post before posting***

Don
As the old thread had become a wretched hive of scum and villainy, this is a new thread for discussion of Ray Tracing.

Some rules and reminders because apparently they are needed here more than anywhere else:

- GC Strikes are in operation - a reminder of the rules here, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/graphics-cards-strikes.18766760/
- NO selective quoting / misquoting to change context.
- NO cliques, dogpiling or other forms of ganging up.
You like RT - Great. You don't like RT - Also Great. Be respectful and discuss it in a civil manner regardless of your view
- NO digging up the past. We ALL make mistakes and post things that we later regret, but we don't need it bringing up at every opportunity. In the words of Elsa - "Let it go"
This includes but not limited to discussion related to "DLSS better than native", "Not enough VRAM" etc.
- Report any posts that either break the rules or drag the thread off topic - do not "deal with it yourself" (Do not report posts just because you don't agree with them)
- Keep it ON Topic - this is for Raytracing related Software/Hardware

Don
OP
List of RT games:

Nvidia articles:

AMD articles:

Intel articles:

What is Ray tracing?

Hardware VS Software Ray tracing:

Path tracing vs Ray tracing:

RT HW level Hierarchy:

kGWRQnE.png

Nvidia RTX Remix:

Nvidia Ray Reconstruction:

Half life 2 episode 1 and 2 remix!

Credit to @Nexus18 for this information/links

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some more content for OP @Armageus

New sections:

Nvidia RTX Remix:

Nvidia Ray Reconstruction:

Half life 2 episode 1 and 2 remix!

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
As good as hell blade 2 is for a tech demo (it’s very linear with limited gameplay), it could benefit greatly from path tracing. The shadows are really hit n miss and lighting from multiple sources is inconsistent.

Caporegime
As good as hell blade 2 is for a tech demo (it’s very linear with limited gameplay), it could benefit greatly from path tracing. The shadows are really hit n miss and lighting from multiple sources is inconsistent.

Hopefully will get an update but doubt it. The limitations are probably partly down to software lumen ray tracing.

Soldato

Graphics are not the major problem with this game. It could benefit from proper gameplay first. The combat is atrocious and it smacks of a game made for consoles. More "cinematic" cutscenes followed by lots of pre-scripted gameplay. They should have just rendered 90% of the game and cutscenes off-line as videos and it would have looked better. But even twice the amount of graphics won't save it.
Not sure what the dev has been doing for almost 7 years!

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Graphics are not the major problem with this game. It could benefit from proper gameplay first. The combat is atrocious and it smacks of a game made for consoles. More "cinematic" cutscenes followed by lots of pre-scripted gameplay. They should have just rendered 90% of the game and cutscenes off-line as videos and it would have looked better. But even twice the amount of graphics won't save it.
Not sure what the dev has been doing for almost 7 years!
I'm one chapter away from the end and this is not the takeaway I have from the game so far. I tend to abandon games that are too boring or too tedious, and this is neither. The audio alone is reason enough to keep playing, but the visuals are just the bonus on top.

If you have half decent hardware then for sound and vision, this is a great cinematic gaming experience that to date, no other game has been able to match for that kind of immersion. The first game was meant to be the same sort of thing and this new release carries on that style of presentation.

There are some tech issues like shadows and light reflections off your torch in water, but these can largely be ignored because everything else makes up for it.

As an experience at £7 on gamepass (or free if you play other game son gamepass anyway), it's an easy win.

Soldato
I'm one chapter away from the end and this is not the takeaway I have from the game so far. I tend to abandon games that are too boring or too tedious, and this is neither. The audio alone is reason enough to keep playing, but the visuals are just the bonus on top.

If you have half decent hardware then for sound and vision, this is a great cinematic gaming experience that to date, no other game has been able to match for that kind of immersion. The first game was meant to be the same sort of thing and this new release carries on that style of presentation.

There are some tech issues like shadows and light reflections off your torch in water, but these can largely be ignored because everything else makes up for it.

As an experience at £7 on gamepass (or free if you play other game son gamepass anyway), it's an easy win.

I have it on Gamepass. It's runs OK and looks perfectly fine on lesser hardware,especially with upscaling with some settings dropped. Most people are fine with how it looks. The atmosphere is great.

One of the big gripes are the combat mechanics - even console people are not happy. I tend to agree now I experienced it. It's clunkier than the first game and seems to be simplified. Also the fights are way too scripted too. It started to be more of chore than an enjoyment for me.Honestly looking back at some older PC centric titles things seem to be going backwards.

Last edited:
Associate
Can we please focus on the technical side that personal preferences on gameplay or we will see another RT thread turn into a mess.

Personally I disabled the following to clean up the visuals:

[SystemSettings]
r.FilmGrain=0
r.NT.Lens.Distortion.Intensity=0
r.NT.Lens.Distortion.Stretch=0
r.NT.Lens.ChromaticAberration.Intensity=0
r.NT.DOF.RotationalBokeh=0
r.NT.DOF.NTBokehTransform=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0

This greatly cleaned up the image quality esp due to Chromatic Aberration excessive use in the game but then this highlighted the weakness in lighting and shadows even more.

Suspended
Interesting conversation with a 'Defence Engineer?' Whatever...

What it comes to AMD's RT vs Nvidia (in that its lacking a little in comparison) its not a case of 'can't' with AMD its 'wont' simply because of resources, AMD can't sell a GPU for $1500, even if its as good in every sense as a 4090, so they are made down to a price, not just in the sense of BOM costs but also R&D costs.
They have been waiting for RT to become, i guess mainstream. They have been waiting for Sony or MS to say "now we are all in on RT" Sony have told them that now, the PS5 Pro is using some aspects of RDNA 4 and this is where the "up to 3X Ray Tracing performance vs the PS5" comes from even tho the PS5 Pro is only 45% faster in raster performance. So clearly a very much more serious RT engine.

That's great, i think RT is becoming mainstream, i get the reasoning but AMD being the only real competitor Nvidia have right now its unfortunate that they have this mindset, its a lack of confidence tho probably not unjustified.

Soldato
Some game with RT run great on my GPU especially older one with I guess some fake or not proper RT?? Like Doom Eternal. Adds a lot to the look and feel and still getting 380fps at 1080p.

Jedi Survivor and Hogwart's Legacy run fairly well in 1080p with Rat just under 90fps on both. If running at 1440p I turn off RT

Soldato
Where's raytracing at on the AMD side now then, haven't played any games with raytracing on yet but heard it ain't very good. Has it improved yet?

Caporegime
Where's raytracing at on the AMD side now then, haven't played any games with raytracing on yet but heard it ain't very good. Has it improved yet?

Depends on the games and which gen of amd gpus you are referring to.

RDNA 2 is roughly equal to turing level hardware, RDNA 3 is roughly equal to ampere RT level but amd falls harder of a cliff when multiple rt effects, higher resolution are applied. They do pretty well with software focussed RT like lumen though. RDNA 4 is rumoured to be changing their approach and focussing more on RT and iirc match ada RT perf.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Outlaws suporting RR and good RT is very much excellent news. I'll be onboard with that. OIt's a showcase for having an NV card given that RR is only available on them and greatly improves ray RT denoising and overall texture detail on RT impacted surfaces as seen on AW2, Cyberpunk.

Back
Top Bottom