• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ray Tracing Thread - Read the First Post before posting***

Soldato
I stopped bothering watching UE demo videos long ago, absolutely none of them are or were of any substance beyond the initial "oh that looks good" then you realise there's no mechanics being shown etc. Actual playable games even short ones like Hellblade 2 etc using UE5.4 are much better an experience.
I'm a bit surprised we don't see more indie games by now. Stuff like Dear Esther, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or Amnesia don't require much from a dev. Get some of these assets, use procedural generation on top and you're gold! And perhaps a bit of Chat GPT for the story if inspiration lacks! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Caporegime
Oooooh spicy!

Someone has done a decent list of which games have what RT effects although there are a few titles missing from initial glance but still decent none the less :cool:

Caporegime
0iOqX8a.jpg

Hopefully with upscaling and frame gen, will be able to mostly max it out and get decent fps

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just like with all UE5 RT or path traced games currently out, a 4080 or above can get at least 100fps at 3440x1440 with upscaling aat quality and frame gen which is all perfectly fine really.

At 4k using upscaling at performance there is noticeable mouse input latency only on path tracing games even with reflex so this isn't Ideal when you're on a high dpi mouse and refresh rate screen With DLSS preset E you might be able to mitigate that with DLSS ultra performance though but haven't bothered to try that out as 3440x1440 is perfect in current releases, Still Wakes the Deep being the latest.

I don't expect this will be any different at all or any upcoming game using similar engine tech

Last edited:
Soldato
Just like with all UE5 RT or path traced games currently out, a 4080 or above can get at least 100fps at 3440x1440 with upscaling aat quality and frame gen which is all perfectly fine really.

At 4k using upscaling at performance there is noticeable mouse input latency only on path tracing games even with reflex so this isn't Ideal when you're on a high dpi mouse and refresh rate screen With DLSS preset E you might be able to mitigate that with DLSS ultra performance though but haven't bothered to try that out as 3440x1440 is perfect in current releases, Still Wakes the Deep being the latest.

I don't expect this will be any different at all or any upcoming game using similar engine tech

I find to be a big difference in performance between Ultra Performance and Performance settings. With DLSS Tweaks you can increase the ratio (I think is around 0.32222222 or something for Ultra performance by default) and get better image fidelity at the cost of some performance.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A new RT vs PT vs Raster comparison, this one a little more full of meat. Look at the framerates, these are with Frame Gen and DLSS/DLAA since the responsiveness in all of them at 3440x1440 is basically the same so no reason not to use those features to gain more frames with zero downsides otherwise.

Reference screen:

glBWERS.jpeg

IMGsli:

https://imgsli.com/MjcxMDcw/2/4

Note the visual difference between Raster + DLAA vs Path Traced with Ray Reconstruction. Between the RR and PT modes, Ray Reconstruction is visually very similar, but it's in the de-noising where it comes into its own, plus the performance gains.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So many games now using UE 5+!

Also, it finally came!

Ray Tracing in Atomic Heart has three beta modes. These three modes are: Performance, Quality and Balanced. To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed by these RT settings as they feel more suited to consoles than to PC. Unless of course the devs have also added individual RT settings to tweak. I’m downloading the game right now to test these RT effects and share some benchmarks, so stay tuned for more.

Disappointing options there if not more fine grained options wise but better than nothing!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Caporegime
I doubt I'll play through it again but enjoyed it at the time, installing now to have a look at the RT anyway. Shame no official HDR added but suppose we have RTX HDR now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I doubt I'll play through it again but enjoyed it at the time, installing now to have a look at the RT anyway. Shame no official HDR added but suppose we have RTX HDR now.

I won't bother. Too many other games to play. Only way I would is if it was the best RT to date. Which I doubt it will be.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's a bit of a crap game anyway, didn't deliver its promises and they made no attempt to redeem themselves all this time and now RT features in botched state fit only for consoles? Erm yeah but no.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's a bit of a crap game anyway, didn't deliver its promises and they made no attempt to redeem themselves all this time and now RT features in botched state fit only for consoles? Erm yeah but no.

Yeah. Was expecting a lot more from the game. Shame as it is typically the type of game I really enjoy.

Soldato
The art style was unique in the game and it ran pretty well compared to some other games which looked worse. Also,The Twins! :cry:

Atomic Heart. Lol. They took ages. Was meant to be a huge RT title a few years ago.

Bloody crispy critters that!

I think they had bigger problems than not adding RT to the game(like having to move the entire studio abroad at the end of development). I am surprised the game got released in any form.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The art style was unique in the game and it ran pretty well compared to some other games which looked worse. Also,The Twins! :cry:

I think they had bigger problems than not adding RT to the game(like having to move the entire studio abroad at the end of development). I am surprised the game got released in any form.

Bloody crispy critters innit!

Back
Top Bottom