• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ray Tracing Thread - Read the First Post before posting***

Depends on the games and which gen of amd gpus you are referring to.

RDNA 2 is roughly equal to turing level hardware, RDNA 3 is roughly equal to ampere RT level but amd falls harder of a cliff when multiple rt effects, higher resolution are applied. They do pretty well with software focussed RT like lumen though. RDNA 4 is rumoured to be changing their approach and focussing more on RT and iirc match ada RT perf.
I have a 7900xtx, I haven't touched fsr in any of my games as so far I haven't needed too but I am curious if it's any good.

Where's raytracing at on the AMD side now then, haven't played any games with raytracing on yet but heard it ain't very good. Has it improved yet?

There is a larger loss in performance compared with Nvidia when you switch on RT vs Rasterization.

"Ain't very good" is a fair assessment, its not very good and it gets worse for AMD the higher up the price stack you go, but its also not bad.

I have an RX 7800 XT, worst case scenario is the same in RT as an RTX 3070, or a better comparison might be the 4060 Ti, which in 16 GB form is the same price, in most RT games the RX 7800 XT is actually better, and its a lot better in Rasterization.

Last edited:
There is a larger loss in performance compared with Nvidia when you switch on RT vs Rasterization.

"Ain't very good" is a fair assessment, its not very good and it gets worse for AMD the higher up the price stack you go, but its also not bad.

I have an RX 7800 XT, worst case scenario is the same in RT as an RTX 3070, or a better comparison might be the 4060 Ti, which in 16 GB form is the same price, in most RT games the RX 7800 XT is actually better, and its a lot better in Rasterization.
Thanks.
So far I don't need it, by the time I do I'll probably just buy a better card. But to be honest the games I play don't have RT.

3DMark Port Royal IMO is a fair representation. it is not the worst case scenario, its also not the best, its in the middle.

My stock out of the box result for Port Royal:

OC i get about 11,500.

RTX 4070, which is currently about £40 more expensive and has 4GB less VRam.

veWZiF0.jpeg

And TPU... Which includes the worst case games for AMD in these overall results.

All in all this absolutely is not bad :)

1Zbp6z4.png

I've used RT on my 7900XT a number of times. Yes there is quite a perf hit but it works and isn't bad on some games. Still a decent playable frame rate. Though I do usually drop to 1080p when using RT.

Tried fsr 3 highest quality (not frame gen) on avatar today. Honestly could not tell the difference. Must be wasted on my old eyes. Gave a good 20fps boost though.

Must have improved since fsr 2 though as I could tell running that.

Last edited:
I have a 7900xtx, I haven't touched fsr in any of my games as so far I haven't needed too but I am curious if it's any good.
If you're at 4k and don't push its settings too much down, it should be fine.

Nvidia has a clear advantage with its ray trace hardware implementation, very good / excelent DLSS and RR that saves the day in heavy loads - aka path tracing.

In general, games that rely on RT, like Avatar, can run decently on AMD, too.

Last edited:
If you're at 4k and don't push itscsrttings too much down, it should be fine.

Nvidia has a clear advantage with its ray trace hardware implementation, very good / excelent DLSS and RR that saves the day in heavy loads - aka path tracing.

In general, games that really on RT, like Avatar, can run decently on AMD, too.
Thanks I'm on 1440p but looking at 4k in the future.

Still no dedicated hardware block iirc, RDNA4 is supposedly just some bug fixes and improvements over 3.

I thought rdn4 will have some physical improvements for RT, it's one of the main reasons Sony leaked documents claim the ps5 pro is 3x better at RT than the ps5

For reference Sony documents show the ps5 pro as having 70% more cores than the base ps5 but Sony claims up to 300% faster RT

Last edited:

jGUUZxD.jpg

Mental difference there

I stopped bothering watching UE demo videos long ago, absolutely none of them are or were of any substance beyond the initial "oh that looks good" then you realise there's no mechanics being shown etc. Actual playable games even short ones like Hellblade 2 etc using UE5.4 are much better an experience.

I stopped bothering watching UE demo videos long ago, absolutely none of them are or were of any substance beyond the initial "oh that looks good" then you realise there's no mechanics being shown etc. Actual playable games even short ones like Hellblade 2 etc using UE5.4 are much better an experience.

A lot of the are Unreal Engine Market Place asset plugs, they create these demos in the look how wonderful Unreal Engine is vain and then link their Market Place profile where they sell all the assets in the demo.

With no criticism of @Grim5 at all :) just to make the point the video he posted an hour ago is exactly that.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm just saying that after the 400th video you see on the youtube feed on unreal engine of what look like game sbut turns out they are just demos and will never become games it fills the mind with frustration :p

I'm trying to make something that people can actually download and run 'free' but it will be in Unreal Engine 5.3.2, not 5.4.1, I've waisted many hours of work in it because it has problems, it has disagreements with Visual Studio, its a bit of a mess frankly and i cannot be bothered fixing and working around those problems if i'm going to keep losing work that i have done in it.

No promises as i also still have a lot of learning to do and i'm learning as i make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
I remember running this on the 2070S, it was a slide show :D

For some reason it doesn't recognise my card can do RT reflections, its "not met the requirements for RTX" they wouldn't be locking DXR features behind RTX branding would they?

Gi3NCCt.png

q1yQcyf.png

Back
Top Bottom