Some updates for this season with bike now down to 7.5kg as pictured:
Fizik Arione R3 Saddle
Fizik Cyrano R3 Seatpost with red silicone ring bling thing
Fizik Cyrano R1 Stem 110mm -18deg
Fizik Cyrano R1 Snake 42cm bars
Fizik Superlight Classic Bartape
K-Edge Garmin Mount
Elite Custom Stealth Bottle Cages

Nice! I really considered those FFWD wheels, they go well with the Cube colours :D

You must have spent pretty much the bike cost on upgrades! :p

Soldato
You must be a midget as that frame looks small, you haven no seat post and that slammed stem!

I find you can almost go sideways upgrading finishing kit. I got half the cost of my saddle back when I changed it to one that suited me better. Or you can keep it then change it back if you sell the bike.

Soldato
You must be a midget as that frame looks small, you haven no seat post and that slammed stem!

I find you can almost go sideways upgrading finishing kit. I got half the cost of my saddle back when I changed it to one that suited me better. Or you can keep it then change it back if you sell the bike.

It is actually a 56cm frame and I am only 173cm (5ft 8in). Cube frame sizing is weird, I would be a 54cm frame on a Cervelo/S-Works etc. I don't have a lot of seat post showing but I think it is the way the frame is more than anything :p

I love this saddle, it's perfect and I've nailed geo on all my new finishing kit, definitely has improved the bike and my performance on it. I actually got that saddle for free pretty much as I got an award at work and got an Amazon voucher. The rest of the Fizik bits all came to £220 total so I think it is all well worth the money spent and if I ever upgrade to a better bike I have nice bits to move over. It's only groupset letting this bike down now, but I am pretty damn happy with it :D

Soldato
My new Felt IA4 - Running mechanical Ultegra 6800 with Corima rear disc wheel currently. Due to have a new carbon crankset installed this week, and some new wheels once I sell my old bike.

Felt%20IA4_zpsd7cezakq.png

Soldato
I meant which new wheels are you looking at!:p

Planet X do a HED disc and tri-spoke combo.:D

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPHEH3JD/hed-h3-clincher-front-wheel-with-jet-rear-clincher-disc-wheel

Cheers, I'm not sure yet, got to sell the old stuff first. I've got that or similar trispoke and I don't get on with it, it's too narrow to fit a nice wide tyre too. Was thinking 80mm zuus or similar and then matching rear disc, need to see what comes top in aero tests. Ideally want something a bit wider.

Get that valve hole covered over! You can't go maximum aero with a bike like that then have exposed valve holes causing like 0.5watts of drag :p

It is now, that was just a prelim picture, will update at the weekend once I get my new cranks on!

Awesome bike, it looks like it should have rocket launchers on the side!

Thanks

Soldato
CAvzAESl.jpg
Click for album.

Finally getting this bike to the point where I'm happy with it. Long term goals, maybe a professional fitting session w/ switch to threadless stem if it's needed, integrated shifters and a power meter. In an ideal world maybe new seatpost, headset and crankset, but only if i fall into some money. Nice to feel confident upgrading a bike I have rather than feeling like I have to drop everything and start again.

Associate
Buying this off a guy at work for £150 as I am in the market for my first road bike - what do we think? He is a sound guy and knows his bikes, has upgraded the wheels, stem, handlebars and saddle. He's leaving the bottle cages on as well.

2f172bf89e.jpg

Soldato
It's a 56cm frame so from what I've read that should fit. He's also the same height as me. How else do I check on Sunday when I go down to see it?

I would just check to see that that you have some grace for raising the saddle if needed. i.e you don't run out of seat tube! And that the bars don't seem to be way way out in front. If you've never ridden a road bike before though it's probably hard to ascertain if a frame is too big or small. If you have similar proportions to your colleague I expect it will be okay.

Don't worry a great deal as it's easy and cheap to change a stem to adjust the reach of the bars if needed to see you through.

For a first bike and to see if you actually like & enjoy riding it should be perfectly fine. If there's no play in the headset or bottom bracket and it feels like it rides okay then most likely it is. Of course no visible signs of damage like cracked welds or bent bits of the groupset.

Some consumables like the cassette & chain might need replacing in the near future along with tyres, pads, cable inners & outers depending when they were last done. If you are at all unsure pop in to your LBS and have them give it a quick check over.

Soldato
Awesome, nice one thanks BennyC - duly noted! Buzzing to pick it up like, can't wait for spin out. Just done my brains in on wiggle :(

Haha, any new interest can be baffling at first :p been years since I was in the PC hardware game so to me now it's all completely alien.

Post/search the Road Cycling threads for tips/advice.

I'd scold you for not riding with a helmet, regardless of what anyone else here says. I'd also pick up a set of bib-shorts. Shorts are fine but the chamois is more prone to movement so bib-shorts (with over the shoulder straps) hold it, and everything else :eek:, in place :p

You'll be fine without clipless pedals/road shoes though when you do go down this avenue SPD-SL would be my choice. SPD's are recessed within the shoe so more suited if you plan to do a lot of walking where as SPD-SL protrudes from the sold of the shoe so walking is difficult and noisy.

Pro-tip for your first few rides until you learn to stay light in the saddle over rough roads and surfaces. Stand on the pedals semi-regularly to restore bloodflow and give your sit bones a break. Regardless they will still be sore until you become conditioned to riding and your saddle.

Back
Top Bottom