**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Caporegime
Z2lKUiA.jpg

nDemsmN.jpg

om8aVa9.jpg

Galaxy Note 8 Specs

• Body: Polished aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; IP68 certified for water and dust resistance. Midnight Black, Orchid Grey, Deepsea Blue, Maple Gold color schemes.
  • Display: 6.3" Super AMOLED 'Infinity Display', 2,960x1440px resolution, 18.5:9 (2.06:1) aspect ratio, 522ppi; HDR 10 compliant (no Dolby Vision).
  • Rear camera: Primary 12MP, Type 1/2.55" sensor, f/1.7 aperture, 26mm equiv. focal length; Secondary 12MP, Type 1/3.4" sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 52mm equiv. focal length; dual pixel phase detection autofocus and OIS on both; 2x zoom. 2160p/30fps video recording.
  • Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1440p/30fps video recording.
  • OS/Software: Android 7.1.1 Nougat; Samsung Grace UX; Bixby virtual assistant; Smart Connect, Smart Connect Home
  • Chipsets: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835: octa-core CPU (4x2.35GHz Kryo 280 & 4x1.9GHz Kryo 280), Adreno 540 GPU. Exynos 8895: octa-core CPU (4x2nd-gen Mongoose 2.3GHz + 4xCortex-A53 1.7GHz), Mali-G71 GPU.
  • Memory: 6GB of RAM; 64GB of storage; microSD slot for cards up to 256GB, UFS cards support.
  • Battery: 3,300mAh Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging (same as S7/S8); QuickCharge 2.0 support; WPC (Qi)&PMA wireless charging.
  • Connectivity: Single-SIM, Dual-SIM available in certain markets; LTE-A, 4-Band/5-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac MU-MIMO; GPS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0.
  • Misc: S-Pen stylus with 4096 pressure levels; fingerprint/iris/face recognition; single speaker on the bottom; 3.5mm jack; bundled AKG headphones.
Source - GSMArena

Previews/Reviews

Additional Information

Release date

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 went on sale in the UK just moments after its unveiling and will start shipping on 15 September.

Price

Samsung's own website has started taking Note 8 pre-orders. The smartphone, along with a dual-SIM variant, can both be picked up for £869 SIM-free.
  • Carphone Warehouse has started taking pre-orders for the Galaxy Note 8. It's on sale for £869 SIM-free, and the retailer is also offering handset on tariffs with EE, iD, O2 and Vodafone, with prices starting from £56 per month for a 24-month contract with 10GB monthly data. It's also throwing in a free DeX station worth £139.99.
  • EE is also offering a free DeX dock to those who pre-order before 14 September. The firm is recommending its £62.99 per month tariff, which comes with 15GB data and an upfront cost of £49.99.
  • O2 has been quick to open up pre-orders. Over on its website, the Galaxy Note 8 can be picked up for £49.99 on a choice of £56, £66, £76 and £96 (!) tariffs, which come with 3GB, 10GB, 30GB or 50GB monthly data.
  • Three is taking pre-orders, and is also chucking in a free DeX dock. It's offering 1GB data for £48 per month (with a £99 upfront cost), 12GB data for £56 per month (£79 upfront) and 100GB data for £64 per month (£79 upfront).
  • Vodafone has started taking orders for the Note 8 and, surprise surprise, is also offering a free DeX. Prices start from £44 a month with a £300 upfront cost, which gets you 500MB data and 500 minutes per month. If you're after more data, Vodafone is offering 16GB and 32GB for £60 and £66 a month, respectively, with a £50 upfront cost.
Source - TheINQUIRER

Tips & Tricks

Background/ad-free YouTube (non-root method)

The XDA thread is here. I did the following to get it working:

• In the Mediafile directory - navigate to the 12.40.59 folder
  • Then the non-root folder
  • Download appropriate APK (either black or not black)
  • Install the APK
  • To fix the sign in bug, download the microG app found in the root Mediafile folder and install
  • Sign in through the modded YouTube app (it should appear as a separate app to the original YouTube)
All working fine here and in black :D

User tips

• In Developer Options - change the animation scales (3 instances) to 0.5x for a smoother feel
  • Install Package Disabler Pro - this is a handy app that disables a lot of bloatware (and more if you wish)
  • Install Greenify - which puts unused apps to sleep

Android 8.0 - Oreo

It appears Samsung have begun their months long process of seeding 8.0 to the Exonys N8s in France around mid-March 2018. Users can manually flash the official 8.0 ROM without tripping KNOX, or just wait until it seeds to you (but for some this could be a long wait). Everything you need to know can be found here (thanks Cosimo) and please note, if you flash - you flash at your own risk but it's a fairly simple process :). Fast working download links (painfully slow on Samsung's website otherwise) can be found here for the ROM. Please remember all of this relates to the Exonys version of Oreo.

Android 9.0 - Pie

This will be the last major update for the Note 8, should start seeding from February 2019.

Thank you to @Funky-Melon for notifying us about a way to get the Pie beta. If you have the 'Samsung Members' app you can get Pie beta installed now :). You may need to restart for the update to show when you do a manual check for software updates.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Samsung have claimed it will be innovative but a little part of me worries they will play it too safe coupled with it using the same guts as the S8+ - the + phones and Notes are very similar these days.

Caporegime
OP
6.3" - that's damn huge. I told myself I wouldn't go bigger than the Note 4.....

16bj7kg.jpg

Caporegime
OP
It's a couple of things - the fit inside a pocket and one handed use. Any bigger than the Note 4 and I won't be able to do the latter.

Don't get me wrong, if this phone is the bees knees I will get over it. It's just all become a little OTT now with ever increasing phone sizes.

Caporegime
OP
^ that's surprising. Not sure why but my Note 4 has become noticeably slower in the past few months and this was a brand new unit not that long ago.

Caporegime
OP
It didn't do this on my first Note 4 and I usually update with an updated or new ROM every few months but you can now clearly see it think or struggle for a very brief moment when doing some tasks.

Caporegime
OP
Bit more news coming through (none surprising) that it will use the Infinity display and aspect ration from the S8, and come with 7.1.1 out of the box.

Caporegime
OP
Can you elaborate on this please; after about 2 years my Note 4 started getting a lot of battery issues (getting hot and draining quickly, switching off at 20%, randomly jumping down to 3%) so I replaced the battery and it is a bit better but still not great. With heavy usage it doesn't even last a full day. Interested to know how others have handled this experience.

Sorry for the late reply. When I first got my Note 4, I would easily expect 5-7 hours of SoT. Like most Android phones I have owned, that honeymoon period is short lived. I know batteries degrade over time but, for me at least, something doesn't add up. The problem seems to manifest quicker than you expect and despite replacing several batteries, it still persists. I have had similar issues as you have described; gets hot despite not doing anything too tasking, always drains quickly, sudden drops when it gets low. There are days now when I will get 2 hours of SoT, with the average being around 3 and a bit hours. My current Note 4 is a replacement model as my previous one got the eMMC bug, and I am confident this model is actually brand new and not a refurb but still get battery issues. I have tried ROMs, Xposed apps, tweaking and plain old stock - nothing works. My battery problems seem to be getting worse as Android evolves, convinced this has something to do with it.

On a side note, low and behold (despite my current N4 being less than a year old), after my two year contract ends - my phone starts exhibiting strange behaviour (like it's trying to tell me to upgrade :p). Weird hangs, complete brain fart moments, very noticeable slow downs. Not sure why as the ROM I am using has usually been rock solid.

Caporegime
OP
I can probably get over the placement of the finger print scanner but the price and battery size are a bit off putting.

Edit - in screen finger print scanners have just surfaced. Apparently the 835 doesn't support it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If only the Note 8 was coming out a few months later, I really want an edge to edge display with a built in FPS in the screen:

Obviously needs work but great to see.

Caporegime
OP
Supposed first live image up (in the OP) with a close up of the camera set up. Headphone jack likely to be included :)

Just seen the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 - similar phone but with a 4,500mAh. Might keep an eye on this as an alternative.

Caporegime
OP
Nice but bet the Korean edition eats even more battery. 6GB will be plenty, not even sure why phones are even matching modern computers in the RAM department.

Caporegime
OP
All we need to know about pricing is that we'll need some good lube. My excitement has waned a little but don't know of any other phone that ticks as many boxes.

Back
Top Bottom