**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Depends why you want to switch to be honest.

The P30 Pro beats the S10+ in a few areas, but also loses in some. The cameras each do different things slightly better - S10 has better video options and better wide angle, P30 Pro has better night mode and telephoto, standard images tend to be more colour accurate on the S10, but Huawei has their crazy post processing that can look great, but can also sometimes look overly sharpened. Both company's android skins are fairly decent, probably comes down to preference and definitely not a big deal.

P30 Pro has better battery life and charging speed, S10+ has better display, speakers and internal hardware.

That's my take on each phone at least, so personally wouldn't consider it an upgrade, but it depends on your usage. If you really have an upgrade itch, I've heard good things about the Oneplus 7 Pro, might be worth a look. Other than that, there's not much on the market I think that really pulls ahead of the S10+.

Associate
I've heard that the camera is pretty much the best all round on any smartphone, and has especially good video. Battery life is very good, display is good but it's not Samsung good and it's still got a big fat notch in the middle. iOS13 is supposed to be really good but again software can be pretty subjective, some people like it it, some hate it.

Personally was hoping the iPhone 11 would have a 90Hz screen or something to make it really stand out amongst the crowd. Again it's a very good phone, but does it really offer much over the S10+? That's what you have to ask yourself.

Soldato
I've heard that the camera is pretty much the best all round on any smartphone, and has especially good video. Battery life is very good, display is good but it's not Samsung good and it's still got a big fat notch in the middle. iOS13 is supposed to be really good but again software can be pretty subjective, some people like it it, some hate it.

Personally was hoping the iPhone 11 would have a 90Hz screen or something to make it really stand out amongst the crowd. Again it's a very good phone, but does it really offer much over the S10+? That's what you have to ask yourself.
The display is made by Samsung, it's not worse.

Associate
The display is made by Samsung, it's not worse.

Maybe I should have been more specific. It's good, but it's not S10+ good imo. The panels themselves are both very good AFAIK, with I believe the S10 just edging in brightness to cope with bright sunlight, and having a slightly higher res for 1440p content in the few places that have it. The notch is the main thing that bothers me though. Whilst the corner hole-punch isn't ideal, I find it must less intrusive than the wide notch.

Associate
Pondering the S10+ as a possible wildcard option should I choose to upgrade from my Pixel 2XL come black friday.

The new Pixel appears to have too many issues for me to consider it given the price.

I like the look of the OnePlus 7T but the camera performance is a possible sticking point, the battery life nothing special and it lacks wireless charging. OP7TPro doesn't seem worth the extra money.

The iPhone I've been using but it's too expensive and it's just not for me.

The S10+ seems to tick a lot of boxes - full feature set, all the camera lenses you could want, maybe a slight step down from a 2XL in outright image quality? My mrs has an S9+ but I must say I don't really get on with the OS, but then I could change it just like I did with my S7E. It also has a headphone jack, one of the last phones available to sport one (apart from LG but I don't want one of those).

Should be available on a good deal come black friday. Overall the phone doesn't seem any worse overall than anything released in the last month. Thoughts?

Failing all of that I'm seriously considering just sticking with 2XL. The new crop ain't really doing it for me I have to say.

Soldato
To be honest that was sorta my reasoning back in May, and the landscape hasn't changed all that much.

This year, the S10 is the jack of all trades and I don't think there's anything else that can manage it for sheer feature set and quality of individual featuers. It's not a perfect phone, but it's a very decent choice.

Soldato
The new crop ain't really doing it for me I have to say.

Here's a glowing long-term review of the Huawei P30 Pro. Great cameras, great battery life, smooth performance and generally all-round well-received. You should also be able to pick one up at a reasonable price if you look around/wait till Black Friday.

Associate
Yep, if you're coming from Pixel 2XL, then both P30 Pro and S10+ are really good phones. I put a few brief thoughts comparing the two a few posts up if you're interested.

I think now that the S10 has had some software updates to really improve its camera, it's now probably better all round than the P30 Pro's, which was the main selling point closer to launch. The Huawei is still ahead with it's battery and charging, but the S10+ is probably what I'd go for.

Associate
Yep, if you're coming from Pixel 2XL, then both P30 Pro and S10+ are really good phones. I put a few brief thoughts comparing the two a few posts up if you're interested.

I think now that the S10 has had some software updates to really improve its camera, it's now probably better all round than the P30 Pro's, which was the main selling point closer to launch. The Huawei is still ahead with it's battery and charging, but the S10+ is probably what I'd go for.

How do you find the general performance of the S10+ ? My girlfriends S9+ always seems a bit sluggish/laggy in the way Samsung devices of old always seemed to be, has this been improved recently? Even in the review of the P30 above, it's noted that that phone runs noticeably more smoothly than the Samsung in day to day usage. It always seem rather jarring going from the Pixel to her phone! This is one thing that puts me off them a bit if I'm honest.

Soldato
This is one thing that puts me off them a bit if I'm honest.

My Mam's Galaxy S7 is noticeably jerky, just doing basic stuff like scrolling web pages. My sister's S8 is much better. I reckon if you intend to keep your next phone for longer than a couple of years and smoothness is important to you, then a Samsung is a risk, especially if the S9+ already looks slow to you.

I've got an iPhone XS and it's perfectly smooth all of the time and probably will be in 4 years (not that I keep phones that long). It's one of the things putting me off the Note 10+, which I suspect will be laggy in a year's time.

Associate
Performance has been brilliant. OneUI has been really nice and smooth, no slow down, and reducing the animations when switching apps etc., makes it feel even more snappy and crisp. Apparently Android 10, when I eventually get it, is a further improvement.

Samsung does get software updates slower than most manufacturers, but I don't think there's ever anything that you don't mind waiting a couple months for.

I think most flagship smartphones nowadays don't really struggle with any of that slowdown that they have historically had. It might become a factor later on in the product's life, but I've only had mine for ~5 months. When it comes to the end of my 2 year contract and I want to upgrade it might be different, but nobody can expect to tell yet whether it will be slower or not.

Associate
Yeah my S7 felt broken when I first got my Pixel. I've had my fair share of issues with that Pixel, but it generally still did feel quite fast even after nearly 2 years.

I'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Thanks for the replies :)

Back
Top Bottom