**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Soldato
It sounds like the GPS problem is a energy saving feature gone wrong that puts the chip to sleep, and cannot recover until the phone is rebooted.

I use Android Auto daily and need the GPS to work throughout the day, let alone the niggle of not having my photos location stored.

Man of Honour
Yeah, definitely a pita if you need it all the time, but for me, for now I can wait for an update. Might kick up a bit of a stink if it goes on too long though.

Man of Honour
Not had a single issue on mine either, I've been using the camera quite heavily as expected as well as using Nova Launcher and around 105 apps installed. No GPS issue here but I do have various power saving stuff turned off (makes no difference to battery life I've found since the S20).

Associate
I'm not sure you'd be any more impressed by being given an ETA. Nearly all the 2 weeks delay emails that get sent out are automated, and the ETA is meaningless. How it works is the system checks for which orders are due that day (or the next) and if they haven't started to be fulfilled people get sent an email with a 2 week delay. The critical factor is that 2 weeks isn't based on any information. The system doesn't know if a batch it due to fulfil your order, or when your device will ship. It's just a generic automatic 2 weeks added on in which they hope some stock turns up.

It's why when you press the online store support they tell you they have no idea when it will ship. That's the real answer, for everybody. Your order will ship whenever it ships, and they won't have a date for you. If they give you one they've just made it up on the spot to get rid of you. You either just have to accept that's how they work or cancel and avoid them in future.

Doesn't seem to tally with my dates as I have been given a the dates of 12, 24 and 28, clearly the last one is not 2 weeks from the date before.

Associate
Doesn't seem to tally with my dates as I have been given a the dates of 12, 24 and 28, clearly the last one is not 2 weeks from the date before.

They normally quote 2 weeks from the date they advise of the delay, any previous dates don't seem to matter. Like mine was due on the 25th, and they advised of a delay on the same day which became the 11th March, exactly 14 days. Every single person that got delayed that day got the 11th of march. Roll on the 10th March. Another delay notification to... the 24th March. And again, every single person that had a 25th to the 11th delay that got delayed again on the 10th got told the 24th. These generic delays are always 14 days.

The most telling thing for me is when you contact the store. When you ask for a date, they don't tell you the 11th, or the 24th. They tell you they dont know. Every single time. I've heard them reading the customer screen under their breath when I've been on the phone before. The only date they see are the one you see in the order history. They read an arrival date in the past then give you the "high demand"/we'll escalted it standard message. It's all just a bit too transparent!

Associate
Ok m having an issue of audio lag when p ok aging videos so it's out of sync with the lips moving, I'm on the latest update this is via just the speakers so not an Bluetooth problem, a reboot clears it but it comes back it's like the video starts play then mega judders and is out of sync, does it with iPlayer also. Seems a few people with the same issue here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/sound-lagging/td-p/5016894/page/3

Highly annoying

Caporegime
So, all s22 ultra owners, how are you finding it? Is it worth the insane amount money? As alternatives are few this year, I'm considering stumping up for one.
If your patient, the price will likely drop a fair bit in ~6 months. You can also get good quality refurbs for a good price (e.g. a 128GB S21 Ultra in excellent condition can be had for around £650). Considering this route for jumping back to a flagship later in the year (possibly and S22U or iP13 Pro Max).

Soldato
If your patient, the price will likely drop a fair bit in ~6 months. You can also get good quality refurbs for a good price (e.g. a 128GB S21 Ultra in excellent condition can be had for around £650). Considering this route for jumping back to a flagship later in the year (possibly and S22U or iP13 Pro Max).

I never quite trust refurbs. I really dislike apple products, so an iPhone is out. Was going to get a pixel 6, but it has too many issues. OnePlus have hiked their prices and regressed their product/os. So that leaves Samsung really.

Man of Honour
It's only an insane amount of money if you don't make use of trade in discounts and Quidco type cashback combos and then don't sell the free buds pro to claw back another £50 etc.

Otherwise though I'm happy with the upgrade from the S20 5G. I'm not noticing a huge leap in clarity with the screen though, but it's just nicer having a proper rectangle screen now that doesn't cut ff text and content on the overly rounded corners like on the S20n (and on the S22 non Ultras lol).

Battery life is massively better, performance is on par for normal use (0.5x animations in dev settings, adaptive refresh now where I had it locked at 90Hz on the S20).

Camera is a marked improvement, macro mode in video is really cool although in photo mode I think I still prefer 3x zoom as the magnification is about the same but the exposure is just better.

S-Pen I haven't used to full extent yet but it will be used for quick notes and remote shutter release when taking photos of stars etc as well as remote control for music as it has air gesture controls you can customise.

Those that buy the Tauri screen protector be sure to register by email as you get 24 months warranty with full refund/swap etc no questions asked. The little card contains a QR code to scan and it fills in all details, you just click send. The instruction if you manually email though it is to use the correct "Tittle" :D

Associate
So, all s22 ultra owners, how are you finding it? Is it worth the insane amount money? As alternatives are few this year, I'm considering stumping up for one.

I've found it decent and reasonably trouble free. Battery life is fine, though not as good as my P30 Pro, and I prefer Huawei's take on Android overall.

The only frustrating issue has been an annoying YouTube buffering thing where sometimes it just won't preload the video and keeps pausing or dropping down to 144p. After Googling this though it seems to affect everything from iPads to PCs very rarely, and no one seems able to find a solution. It does seem to be getting better recently though.

Performance is fine, the screen is glorious, haven't used camera too much yet, but it's up there.

Definitely not worth RRP in my opinion, but with the trade in deal plus buds and Disney Plus, it was almost worth it to me. When I dropped my P30 Pro, cracking the screen (a £170 repair, at best), and they only penalised me £75 on trade in, that sealed it for me.

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I missed the boat on the trade in deals unfortunately. So would just claw back a bit of money selling my OnePlus 7pro on the mm. Guess it's probably worth about £170 currently.

I only buy a new phone every three years or so. I guess I can justify it that way.

Man of Honour
Yup providing Samsung do update the camera software over the next year or so like they did before, then I can see this being a phone I keep for 3 years instead of the usual 2. We have 4 years of major updates on Samsung phones now so this will take the S22 up to Android 16.

Soldato
Yeah keep flirting with the idea of just getting S21U for much cheaper, but while not vital I do like using the S-Pen on my Note 10+ 5G. Think I'll just see where deals are in next 6 months, most Samsung flagships had a cracking offer of some kind few months after release.

Back
Top Bottom