*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Soldato
Well I've had the S6 for a day and for the past 3 years, I've always been an Nexus user. I decided to switch because I decided the Nexus 6 was just too big after owning one for two months. It was a hard decision because other than the size, I liked everything about the Nexus and I wasn't sure how I would feel about losing the UI consistency stock Android delivered and the quick OS updates.

There's no point mentioning the Galaxy S6 hardware as I knew this wasn't going to be an area of disappointment for me personally and thankfully, I've managed to find workarounds most of the software floors.

• TouchWiz launcher and horrible icons - Managed to get around this with Nova launcher and replacing the Samsung icons with their Lollipop counterparts
  • Nova launcher - added swipe onto the app drawer icon to get to the Google search card screen
  • Disabled most apps that can be disabled

My main concern now is the lack of "Ok Google everywhere", this feature was extremely useful when driving. I've read this was removed in a recent software update? Anyway of getting this back?

Soldato
Well I've had the S6 for a day and for the past 3 years, I've always been an Nexus user. I decided to switch because I decided the Nexus 6 was just too big after owning one for two months. It was a hard decision because other than the size, I liked everything about the Nexus and I wasn't sure how I would feel about losing the UI consistency stock Android delivered and the quick OS updates.

There's no point mentioning the Galaxy S6 hardware as I knew this wasn't going to be an area of disappointment for me personally and thankfully, I've managed to find workarounds most of the software floors.

• TouchWiz launcher and horrible icons - Managed to get around this with Nova launcher and replacing the Samsung icons with their Lollipop counterparts
  • Nova launcher - added swipe onto the app drawer icon to get to the Google search card screen
  • Disabled most apps that can be disabled

My main concern now is the lack of "Ok Google everywhere", this feature was extremely useful when driving. I've read this was removed in a recent software update? Anyway of getting this back?

I think you can enable this via Nova? Can't remember but I'm sure I saw this in the settings somewhere.

Associate
I think you can enable this via Nova? Can't remember but I'm sure I saw this in the settings somewhere.

I'd say that option just means "on any nova screen" as opposed to anywhere on the phone (e.g in the messaging app you could say "ok google").

Soldato

Yeah, as Lutin has pointed out, that's only when you're on a Nova home screen.

Does the Exynos support low power always listening like the Snapdragon SOCs? Trying to think why Samsung would have removed this feature... S Voice just doesn't compete with Google's implementation.

Soldato
Trying to think why Samsung would have removed this feature... S Voice just doesn't compete with Google's implementation.

You answered your own question.

There is a thread over on XDA ranting about this. One of the work-arounds is using S-Voice to launched Google search.

Soldato
After reading this thread, I was incredibly jealous of everyone enjoying their S6's. I recently had my upgrade with 3, and went with the M9, after using it for around a day, I came to quite quickly dislike it. Mine had the charging issue with overheating even with the update and it was saying that it was going to take 4+ hours for a full charge. The camera was also terribly lagging and took forever to focus. Thankfully when I went back into 3, they agreed to swap it for the S6 64GB but I just had to wait for them to get one in from another store.

Now all sorted and had the phone just over a week. So pleased with it! I initially had concerns of touchwiz but its actually a lot better than it use to be and I can deal with it now where as before I'd rooted my S4 and put a custom ROM on it within hours of having it. Like many others I've disabled most of the stock apps, uninstalled what I could and put a custom launcher on it and now its absolutely fantastic! The design is brilliant and the speed of the thing is insane. Battery, like others have said, its absolutely fine for normal usage I've only charged it 4 times in the passed week as I regularly can get 2 days out of it. With 3/4hrs screen time, S health tracking me, and the normal apps; Facebook, emails and messenger.

I know people have said some cheaper cases look tacky but I had to put one on it as it kept slipping out of my hand. Even dropped it in work last night and was so relieved that it didn't smash as my case only turned up this morning. I went for the Ringke Slim Crystal and love it. Doesn't make it overly big and does a good job of protecting it. The only niggle I have is that the top left is slightly lifted off the outside where it looks like it wasn't bent in a straight line across the top. But it doesn't come out easily at all, so more than happy!

Associate
I know people have said some cheaper cases look tacky but I had to put one on it as it kept slipping out of my hand. Even dropped it in work last night and was so relieved that it didn't smash as my case only turned up this morning. I went for the Ringke Slim Crystal and love it.

I still need a case for mine. Jungle site increased their minimum delivery so dont know which one to get.

DSC00842.jpg

Soldato
I wanted to get a case as soon as possible. Only ordered it 7pm yesterday and paid for next day, was here 9am this morning. I didn't think it was that bad, only £12 all in.

Soldato
It really is a fantastic looking phone, but it does need a case for sure! As said in a previous post, I keep switching between the Ringke SLIM Black and Spigen Liquid Crystal.

Thinking of removing my screen protector though, really makes the front look ugly even though as far as protectors go it's one of the best I've used. Hmmm... worth the risk?

Soldato
It really is a fantastic looking phone, but it does need a case for sure! As said in a previous post, I keep switching between the Ringke SLIM Black and Spigen Liquid Crystal.

Thinking of removing my screen protector though, really makes the front look ugly even though as far as protectors go it's one of the best I've used. Hmmm... worth the risk?

How are you finding the crystal case? Reviews of clear cases on Amazon mention you get a oil smudge effect between the case and the back of the phone. Have you found this?

Associate

Probably better to remove it. I rarely get scratches so I dont bother with them. Gorilla glass 4 is good enough.

Soldato
It depends how you handle your phone, if you typically put it face up/down directly onto a hard surfaces you NEED a protector or will will scratch eventually.

Depends on what you class as a scratch - my S4 hasn't been in a case and is 2 years old. It lives in my pocket with my keys and the glass front is fine as long as you don't class the tiny micro scratches that you can't see unless you have a microscope as scratches :)

Back
Top Bottom