*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Thread ***

Soldato
Just managed to bag myself a S6 32GB in Gold from Ebay for £308, listing just got posted. I couldn't resist just hope its genuine but Paypal will cover me if not and has a long protection date hence choosing to opt for this method.

What should i look out for when it arrives?

Also what are the recommended case and screen protectors ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Just managed to bag myself a S6 32GB in Gold from Ebay for £308, listing just got posted. I couldn't resist just hope its genuine but Paypal will cover me if not and has a long protection date hence choosing to opt for this method.

What should i look out for when it arrives?

Also what are the recommended case and screen protectors ?

Thanks

I'd be surprised if the fakes had a fingerprint scanner?

Associate
If I unlock my phone using a code from ebay can I then flash a UK BTU firmware without tripping knox using odin? Or am I miles off the right path here?

Last edited:
Soldato
If I unlock my phone using a code from ebay can I then flash a UK BTU firmware without tripping knox using odin? Or am I miles off the right path here?

You can do it without an unlock code :)

I put my phone onto the UK BTU firmware and I'm still locked to O2 and haven't tripped anything. Was pretty simple too.

Associate
Ok, so unlocking is not necessary right now. What Rom do I need to flash, is it this one : I have the 128GB Edge on Vodafone

Model SM-G925F
Model name GALAXY S6 Edge
Country United Kingdom / Ireland
Version Android 5.1.1
Changelist 5012324
Build date Fri, 19 Jun 2015 22:28:37 +0000
Product code XEU
PDA G925FXXU2BOFJ
CSC G925FOXA2BOFJ

Soldato
Ok, so unlocking is not necessary right now. What Rom do I need to flash, is it this one : I have the 128GB Edge on Vodafone

Model SM-G925F
Model name GALAXY S6 Edge
Country United Kingdom / Ireland
Version Android 5.1.1
Changelist 5012324
Build date Fri, 19 Jun 2015 22:28:37 +0000
Product code XEU
PDA G925FXXU2BOFJ
CSC G925FOXA2BOFJ

Looks about right mate...I just downloaded mines from Sammobile

Associate
Ok just updated to 5.1.1 using Odin. Pretty painless and easy if I'm honest. Just charging the S6 up again before I give it a go. Hoping I might see an improved battery life but not holding my breath on that one.

Does anyone think its worth running AVG or a virus scanner on this phone? I have been on IOS for so long I have never really worried about that sort of thing?

Soldato
I got a replacement S6 today. :)

Replacement_phone.jpg

Here's the story. Sorry, it's rather long! Read at your leisure, (or not).

I went to wembley service centre again and had an argument with a clueless and rude twit who wouldn't acknowledge the fault with the home button. He just said it's working and that they'd changed the button and the flex underneath it. I said it's NOT working as it should, not to my satisfaction! He just kept saying I'm not meant to press the left of the button. He said there's nothing more they can do and that I would need to send it to samsung. I left there saying to him "Clearly you have no idea how to speak to customers with your overly defensive, verging on aggressive attitude. I'll contact samsung about returning it and YOU won't be getting a good review from me.." and walked out.

Then I called Samsung UK. Female on the other end of the phone was really helpful. She said if I want to return it to them, they would send me prepaid packaging as it's under warranty. Cool! She said it takes about a week or so to return it. She said they would either repair it, or, here's the good bit, they would send a brand new handset. They DON'T send refurbs as I've been led to believe on XDA and samsung service centre.

But then she said why don't I return the phone to the shop. I said that EE told me I was past the 15 day period. She said nope, that's for the contract. She said under the sale of goods act I have 28 days to exchange a faulty product. Wow!

So I popped back to the EE shop and saw a different salesman from the one I bought the phone from, and explained that the home button doesn't respond as I expect it to. He says its not faulty. He said there's a rocker switch under the home button. I said "riiight.. and??" He was trying to convince me that the phone wasn't faulty and that this rocker switch can cause this inconsistency. I said I don't have that issue on my S2, there wasn't that issue on a friends S5, and the home buttons I pressed on the working S6 demo phones in their shop and other phone shops I visited were flawless. Therefore, mine is faulty.

I said "when I press the buttons on your shop demo S6 handsets the home button works as I expect. He said "the demo phones aren't real phones, they're test models, and are different from the phones you get". Lol? This guy was just talking rubbish. Then he says "right, because you've been back twice, I'm going to let you exchange the phone just this one time."

I said "hang on mate, what's with the 'doing me a big favour' attitude? This phone is faulty and under the sale of goods act, I'm entitled to a replacement for a faulty product". He said "you probably won't notice any difference in the home button on the new phone". Oh yeah? Well let's see.

Got the new phone, opened and tested in the shop. Home button... perfect!
Went back to that guy feeling rather smug, and told him I'm happy now. Shook his hand and said thank you. Seriously, do they even train these people on their products? Just goes to show, if you persist and pester enough, you'll eventually get somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok just updated to 5.1.1 using Odin. Pretty painless and easy if I'm honest. Just charging the S6 up again before I give it a go.

I assume you used the French firmware? Thinking of doing this but is there anything I should be aware of - eg: will my phone now get the updates released in France rather than those released in the UK?

Soldato
I doubt it! They're trained to sell you stuff... they probably view any knowledge that goes beyond "how to sell you a contract" as a waste. Idiots... glad you got it sorted!

Absolutely! Well, it cost me about £15 (fuel, couple of premium rate phone calls and wembley car parking over the two different days I went to sort this), but it was worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom