**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Just got the update on my S* with Vodafone.

Seems smoother.

My one gripe so far with all the new stuff is that icon frames are now on and the option to disable them in settings is grayed out. Anyone know how to get this changed? I hate those white boxes round some of the icons.

Associate
Interesting, icon frames is set to icons only and greyed out on mine too. Do you have Nova or a different launcher running? I'm using Nova so i wonder if that's why?

or could it be due to different theme being used?

Soldato
Thanks

Wow it never used to be like that on Nougat.

I didn't even have them on so why its become default.

Interesting, its the google suite of apps themselves that seem to have frames around them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone on oreo on the S8+ do me a favour and try watch a HDR video on YouTube please?

When I watch it on my device it keeps fluctuating with brightness, as if it's struggling to play the HDR content.

Have had a look on XDA but can't find anything relating to this.

I was testing with this video:

https://youtu.be/1La4QzGeaaQ

Thanks

Edit: I rolled back from version 13.09.57 of YouTube to 12.47.58 and it appears to have done the trick.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got the update yesterday too, it's definitely running more smooth.

Nice to have features that pixel etc. users will be waiting for in android p too i.e. the volume control buttons changing media volume by default ;) :p

Soldato
Thanks for checking, I'm baffled on this one, can't see anything online anywhere about this issue either.

I'm not sure if it's related but I clicked and played the video in YouTube app on my s8 and although the video played fine at max Res and hdr, I cannot seem to alter the brightness down to my phone's setting. I use manual brightness, which works great but the YouTube app went really bright and stayed there. Playing with the video enhancer setting (in phone settings) made no difference. Is this the same for you guys?

Soldato
I'm not sure if it's related but I clicked and played the video in YouTube app on my s8 and although the video played fine at max Res and hdr, I cannot seem to alter the brightness down to my phone's setting. I use manual brightness, which works great but the YouTube app went really bright and stayed there. Playing with the video enhancer setting (in phone settings) made no difference. Is this the same for you guys?

With HDR the brightness is locked so you cannot change it per se.

For some reason on 13.09.57 it struggles to play in HDR as the brightness keeps fluctuating, as if it's struggling to play the content in HDR.

Associate
The final Oreo version for my Samsung s8 plus btu device cane yesterday ota.

It's not different than the final beta

And my s9 plus turned up in the post an hour later anyway lol

Soldato
With HDR the brightness is locked so you cannot change it per se.

For some reason on 13.09.57 it struggles to play in HDR as the brightness keeps fluctuating, as if it's struggling to play the content in HDR.

Ah, I see. Just tested it and you're right.
I'm on the latest YT version and it plays your linked video with stable brightness, but at 1080,60 HDR there are micro stutters. I'm not sure if this is to do with my internet speed, screen resolution, performance setting or something else tho. For the majority it runs well. 720 60 HDR has no issues.

Back
Top Bottom