**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Associate
Think I'll go with Accubattery app as it's supposed to work out battery capacity and wear from charge cycles. That and it shows a healthier battery than the Samsung info app.

On the subject of battery how do you charge your phones. Experts reckon little and often not letting battery get too low and charging only to 80 to 85%. I've always charged mine overnight on a wireless pad but not at fast charge. I've been trying out charging to 85% before bed then leaving off charge overnight then maybe give it a top up if opportunity presents. Seems a bit of a pain though. Slap it on charge pad overnight and then good for the next day - job done, seems my preferred method. Battery is going to wear. If keep phone long enough a new battery won't be too expensive though fitting to a Samsung (S9+ for me now) maybe best left to someone who knows what they're doing.

Caporegime
I bought accubattery but after reading some interesting comments on reddit, I decided to uninstall it, doesn't seem to be accurate at all, also, first time viewing it, it said my battery life was 88% health but after a couple of charges, it went up to 99% :/

As for charging to 80%, it may be better for battery life in long run but my battery life absolutely sucked with only 80% charge which meant I was having to charge at least once, usually twice a day instead of being able to get away for 1-2 days without charging.

Associate
I've had this S9+ for a couple of weeks and phone info reports it at 94.4% health. Accubattery reports capacity at 3400mAh (supposed to be 3500mAh). Quite a few on xda reporting their s9+'s at 3300mAh. Whatever, it gets through the day.

Could be right about Accubattery and all these battery apps. Had a read over at reddit and not a lot of love for the app. I've tried charging to 80%ish but it's a right old faff. Back to sticking it on charge over night as I've always done with my phone. The battery will wear and as batteries do. I'm only bothered about a days use out of a phone battery anyway. Plenty of charge options at end of day.

Man of Honour
Now that I've had this app running over a couple of full charges. the battery health is reported as:

Screenshot_20180412-081132~01.jpg

Guess the previous load was with mid charge and it didn't have enough time to give a better estimate or something?

That's more inline with Samsung's claim of 5% a year.

Associate
I bought accubattery but after reading some interesting comments on reddit, I decided to uninstall it, doesn't seem to be accurate at all, also, first time viewing it, it said my battery life was 88% health but after a couple of charges, it went up to 99% :/

After a read on Reddit I uninstalled it and yesterday standby battery life seemed to improve quite a bit. Give it a few more days to be sure though.

Soldato
Took delivery of my S8 Plus yesterday and am in the process of retiring my faithful Nexus 6P. Got the CRAP update and a followup Oreo update last night so I'm security patched to December 2017 iirc. Battery life out of the box was somewhat worse than I expected but it is early days. TouchWiz or whatever Samsung call it certainly has changed a lot since the last time I used it during the Note 4 era. I didn't have to download any additional components to run my Gear S3 Frontier which was nice.

I do tend to use tempered glass a lot in my devices, despite looking after them extremely well. Tad annoyed that the only real option is the Whitestone Dome, which even at £40 is a lot to pay so I'll risk going naked even though I know microscratches will happen :/

I just need to adjust to not having FFS now because I do watch a lot of YT videos as most do.

Associate
Took delivery of my S8 Plus yesterday and am in the process of retiring my faithful Nexus 6P. Got the CRAP update and a followup Oreo update last night so I'm security patched to December 2017 iirc. Battery life out of the box was somewhat worse than I expected but it is early days. TouchWiz or whatever Samsung call it certainly has changed a lot since the last time I used it during the Note 4 era. I didn't have to download any additional components to run my Gear S3 Frontier which was nice.

I do tend to use tempered glass a lot in my devices, despite looking after them extremely well. Tad annoyed that the only real option is the Whitestone Dome, which even at £40 is a lot to pay so I'll risk going naked even though I know microscratches will happen :/

I just need to adjust to not having FFS now because I do watch a lot of YT videos as most do.

What is FFS? If it is a Youtube app then just grab Youtube Vanced from XDA. Its updated regularly and allows background playback. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-youtube-vanced-edition-t3758757

Soldato
Associate
Front Facing Speakers :p The sound quality from the 6P is absolutely excellent to the point where I rarely needed headphones when watching videos at home, so I've downgraded in that department. Just have to deal with it really.

Lol. I rarely use the phone speaker since i find it way too tinny. There is a stereo speaker mod for the S8 that allows the ear speaker to be used aswell but it requires root. I keep thinking about rooting but haven't actually done it yet.

Soldato
My S8 took the 1st March patch last night, the first small update since the Oreo update.

Now I have a VoLTE icon next to my 4G icon at the top - is Voice over LTE enabled as part of this update or is this something EE are just started to push out?

Soldato
G950FXXU1CRD7 is out on XDA forums, update zip, just updated mine.

Samsung is now rolling out a new update (based on Android Oreo) for the Galaxy S8 and S8+in Europe. Specifically, people in Germany have received it already.

It's a 570MB download that will install software version G950FXXU1CRD7 for the S8, and G955FXXU1CRD7 for the S8+. This brings with it the April security patches, both the batch that Google released, as well as Samsung's own fixes for its software.

Additionally, the new release packs stability improvements for the camera, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi. So if you've been having reliability issues with any of those, don't postpone applying this update. As always, it is probably a phased rollout, so it might take a few days for it to reach all the devices in Germany. Other countries, especially in Europe, should also be getting it very soon.

Soldato
Got a Whitestone dome this morning. I won't lie - first attempt went totally wrong as no provisions have been made on the holding jig for properly holding the glass in place (they've revised the installation method, so a lot of the online vids are outdated). The jig needs to hold the glass at a preset level or it is easy to accidentally push the glass too far down like me. So upon gently placing the glass into the jig, to my horror it just dropped in and totally missed the little plastic clip it is meant to rest on! :eek:

Took the glass off, gave it a good clean along with my S8+ and tried again, which then went well. I am just letting it dry now and tomorrow I'll have a Spigen Neo Hybrid delivered...attaching that is where things could really go wrong :o

Soldato
Spigen Neo Hybrid arrived earlier and fitted the phone perfectly. It doesn't make contact with the dome at all much to my relief.

http://imgur.com/a/ZDeTC6X

Edit: 25/04/18.
Well the Dome has been on my S8+ for exactly 5 days now, along with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case (avoid - 2 part construction is poor) and I have no issues with it coming loose so far. The oleophobic coating on the glass is rubbish though as there are fingerprints all over the place. The quality and smoothness of the glass is unlike any TGSP I've used before I must admit.

Be aware that Whitestone have revised the installation method of the glass so most online videos are incorrect. The procedure no longer uses the 'bushing' for screwing in the adhesive tube and instead utilises a wide 'bridge' fyi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom