The Official Samsung SM226BW Thread!

Associate
yeh I get the gradient effect too. If the screen is facing straight at you and isn't tilted backwards slightly, you won't see the gradient. I really do like this monitor though, but I'm going to have to contact OcUK tomorrow as my DVI input doesnt work. I should get a replacement I'm guessing.

Associate
XtAsY said:
yeh I get the gradient effect too. If the screen is facing straight at you and isn't tilted backwards slightly, you won't see the gradient. I really do like this monitor though, but I'm going to have to contact OcUK tomorrow as my DVI input doesnt work. I should get a replacement I'm guessing.

That helps a little, but it just makes the bottom even lighter as well as the top :(.

Soldato
for the people who are collecting this monitor from the OcUK shop, can they ask OcUK to make sure they get the S panel version? surely it's labeled on the box!

Topher

Soldato
topher said:
for the people who are collecting this monitor from the OcUK shop, can they ask OcUK to make sure they get the S panel version? surely it's labeled on the box!

Topher

no it is not on the box.

Associate
So what exactly is OcUK likely to do about my monitor? I'm guessing I'll have to courier it back to them and they would send me a replacement? Or would they send it back to Samsung? :confused: I hope the former.

Soldato
How tall is this monitor from the desk to the very start of the screen? Going from the size of the monitor and what the size of the screen should be I think it should be somewhere around 10cm, but I'd like an exact measurement.

Thanks!

Associate
dbmzk1 said:
How tall is this monitor from the desk to the very start of the screen? Going from the size of the monitor and what the size of the screen should be I think it should be somewhere around 10cm, but I'd like an exact measurement.

Thanks!

From desk to bottom edge of screen surround is 7cm and 10.5cm to bottom edge of actual screen. Hope it helps.

Associate
Moof said:
Just to report back on the ¨dithering¨ I noticed... it seems to be a MacOS X specific problem as booting into XP results in no dithering or patterns on the LCD test images. I'll investigate further and report back if I find a solution.

Moof - please do.

I'm v.interested in how this monitor performs under OSX. What mac are you running this with and if its a PowerMac/MacPro what GFX card are you using?

BTW: Have you used a calibrator on the LCD monitor to use a custom profile?

Many thanks.

Associate
fishsmell said:
Moof - please do.

I'm v.interested in how this monitor performs under OSX. What mac are you running this with and if its a PowerMac/MacPro what GFX card are you using?

BTW: Have you used a calibrator on the LCD monitor to use a custom profile?

Many thanks.

I'm running a ATI X1900XT in a MacPro (2.66). Tried a single link DVI cable and dual link, played around with colour profiles etc but it makes no difference. I have a feeling it's a bug in the EFI part of the 1900XT's ROM that doesn't effect the BIOS part of the ROM that XP uses. I've emailed Mike at xlr8yourmac.com which should generate some feedback from other users and filter through to an Apple Engineer.

Unfortunately it is a problem that does become annoying, I was hoping I would start ignoring it :mad:

Associate
Moof said:
I'm running a ATI X1900XT in a MacPro (2.66). Tried a single link DVI cable and dual link, played around with colour profiles etc but it makes no difference. I have a feeling it's a bug in the EFI part of the 1900XT's ROM that doesn't effect the BIOS part of the ROM that XP uses. I've emailed Mike at xlr8yourmac.com which should generate some feedback from other users and filter through to an Apple Engineer.

Unfortunately it is a problem that does become annoying, I was hoping I would start ignoring it :mad:

:(

Very interesting, thank you.

I'll keep an eye on the xlr8yourmac.com site instead! Hope there's a fix available soon. In the meantime, I'll be holding off purchasing this monitor.

Associate
Ordered mine today...it's on its way! Will be picking it up from the CityLink depot after work. I'll post my views tomorrow night.

no selling outside MM please, read the FAQ

Man of Honour
Moof said:
I submitted the review below to the Overclockers site but it has not been posted, would love to know why?

I'd be interested to know if other 226BW owners can see the dithering I see. Take a look at the contrast test here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Most of the blocks are dithering like crazy on my 226BW. My second point about brightness uniformity is not that serious as I tested several LCD displays at work and each displayed similar results except for a couple of high end Lacie panels.

are you using DVI or VGA there?

Man of Honour
Moof said:
DVI, tried single and dual link cables.

ok, just wanted to check as VGA can often highlight these type of issues too. Guess it sounds like a weird Mac OSX thing then from what you said earlier, very odd :confused:

Sem

Sem

Soldato
I've bought the DELL 2007WFP & the NEC 20WGX2 and i ended up taking them both back because i could really notice the response time with FPS games like UT2004.

Is this monitor the answer to my problems or will i have to wait for a whole new technology before i can replace my CRT

thanks

Associate
OP
i was in the same boat as you [5 yr old crt] and went to this screen.well its awesome its faster than the crt i pull the trigger in COD2 and bang down they go! its a awesome screen it really is :D

Back
Top Bottom