The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
Anyone else holding off from buying any more add-ons now? I certainly am!

I was a bit dubious at first, but having opinions from FD2S, Froogle and Squirrel all praising it well, I am sold on this so hard. It looks like a flight sim should do in 2020.

Definitely not putting any more money into P3d. I've just done a reinstall for P3d v4.5 after being away from simming for the best part of year and really getting back into it. One thing I am tempted by is the Majestic Dash 8 Q400. I had it on FSX but never bothered with buying it for P3d but it could be last hoorah for it and P3d until FS2020. I also fear my new 2070S wont be upto the task come next year.

Soldato
Definitely not putting any more money into P3d. I've just done a reinstall for P3d v4.5 after being away from simming for the best part of year and really getting back into it. One thing I am tempted by is the Majestic Dash 8 Q400. I had it on FSX but never bothered with buying it for P3d but it could be last hoorah for it and P3d until FS2020. I also fear my new 2070S wont be upto the task come next year.

I've just re-installed P3D too, mostly for the PMDG 747, there's nothing even close to it on XP11. I have the Q400 too, that is a lovely plane to fly.

Permabanned
Majestic Q400 is a masterpiece; it's the only reason P3Dv4 is still installed on my system since moving over to XP11. I was never a fan of tubeliner flying, the Q400 was the largest aircraft I ever bothered to spend any time with in FSX then P3D, my forte was always GA twins - RealAir Dukes mostly.

New purchases for P3D won't happen now,I will still pick up new content for XP11 as I'll continue to use it after MSFS 2020 releases as I love the HotStart TBM 900, I spend 90% of my sim time in the TBM now.
I have some high end replica panels on their way from Aviatek - the Garmin GMC710 autopilot panel and GCU 475 keypad.

Last edited:
Associate
I am looking at a new 4k 32" monitor and came across this Samsung as a good bang for buck for P3D.

Does anyone have any experience with monitors for P3D? I want one I can lock the frequency to 30hz for smoothness in the sim.

Associate
I am looking at a new 4k 32" monitor and came across this Samsung as a good bang for buck for P3D.

Does anyone have any experience with monitors for P3D? I want one I can lock the frequency to 30hz for smoothness in the sim.

You've not said what model number the monitor is, in any event you need to make sure it is capable of displaying at 30hz I would also be looking to make sure that it is HDR capable. Not a lot of point turing on the HDR function in P3d if the monitor can't display it :)

Permabanned

Whichever monitor/TV you decide to get, just make sure it's a VA panel if flight sim is your priority, VA panels produce superior blacks for night flying.

Associate
You've not said what model number the monitor is, in any event you need to make sure it is capable of displaying at 30hz I would also be looking to make sure that it is HDR capable. Not a lot of point turing on the HDR function in P3d if the monitor can't display it :)

Apologies!

This one:
Samsung LU32J592UQUXEN 32-Inch Ultra HD 4K 3840 x 2160 LED Monitor - Black

Soldato
I am super hyped for fs2020. I'm somewhat concerned at the idea of streaming content, having had issues with texture pop in with 3rd party terrain mods on fsx on an SSD, but all the preview vids look spectacular.

What's the bets that the business model is dlc aircraft? Personally that'd be okay with me, but I imagine that the modding scene will be cut out so they don't eat MS profits, and we would then be at the mercy of MS as to what aircraft we have available.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just had a scan on the Insider page for 2020. According to that, we should know who'll be joining the alpha test group in the next week, with the 24th Oct suggested as the initial alpha release for testers.

Soldato
Just had a scan on the Insider page for 2020. According to that, we should know who'll be joining the alpha test group in the next week, with the 24th Oct suggested as the initial alpha release for testers.

I tried signing up, as it closes in 2 days, but the xml upload fails at the end. No signup for me :(

Caporegime
I hope MS don’t try and do all the aircraft themselves. I’m pretty confident that they won’t get close to the level of accuracy and realism that PMDG do. They should work with them rather than cut them out completely.

Will be interesting to see how this goes though. It could be terrible for companies like OrbX, REX, Active Sky. Could finish the off really.

Caporegime
I'm surprised at the lack of comments in here ref MS Flight Sim 2020.
Who else has signed up for the alpha testing?
I was expecting to find a dedicated thread tbh.

Anyway, I’m signed up and hoping my hardware can at least run it reasonably - never owned a copy of MSFS yet that ran well out of the box at launch, I carried on with FS9 for a fair few years before getting into FSX simply because I was waiting for my rig to catch up, can’t see this being any different tbh.

Ok that's good to know.
Is it still possible to use all the add ons like pmdg a/c and scenery in the steam version?
Yes most add ons work fine especially freeware stuff that you download and self install, one problem I have found though is an awful lot of my commercial add ons for both FS9 and FSX from the likes of Just Flight, PMDG Aerosoft etc don’t seem to work with Windows 10 the installer gets so far then crashes which is really annoying when you’ve got a huge collection of VFR scenery for both sims that you can’t use.

Not had any joy trying to get a workaround from the publishers either which is particularly disappointing.

As said though FSX SE is still very popular and certainly not killed off nor will it be for a very long time imo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
FSX is way beyond its sell by date.
Whilst this is undoubtedly true, I wouldn't want anybody to be put off by it either, it's got fantastic support which will (judging by its previous versions) have huge community support for years to come, is massively improved by a few tweaks and mods which can really mask its age.

It (FSX) isn't perfect (it wasn't at launch tbh) but it still cuts the mustard albeit with a very old knife!

Back
Top Bottom