The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Soldato
I never bothered with Ortho but I did plump for the Orbx stuff. It changed the experience with XP altogether and is well worth the ££.

Bang on with this. I've ditched all my Ortho attempts - too much like hard work and bought the central Orbx stuff and its amazing. So real!

Shame that they have such little available for X Plane 11. Anyone know if they have plans to expand their X Plane 11 catalogue beyond just Britain? They have loads for other areas around the world for FSX.

Associate
Bang on with this. I've ditched all my Ortho attempts - too much like hard work and bought the central Orbx stuff and its amazing. So real!

Shame that they have such little available for X Plane 11. Anyone know if they have plans to expand their X Plane 11 catalogue beyond just Britain? They have loads for other areas around the world for FSX.

The true earth stuff is only recently out so they will be loads more to come a bnelive they are now slowly doing America.

Soldato
Just been mooching round their forum and it seems like they have a good chunk of stuff planned for release this year for XP11. Seems like the west coast of the US is planned with Washington state being the first and perhaps a few more territories in Europe.

Soldato
I have noticed XP11 releases in general have really taken off which is great news as I love it. But ORBX stuff is very awesome :)

Figured out my 737-800 woes. I've switched over to using the Zibo mod and the FMC is much better on there. I think I was missing out pressing execute on a particular page so I repeated my Heathrow to Edinburgh flight again and it was flawless this time, switched speeds and altitudes right where it was supposed to, landed flawlessly. Small steps each time building up my ability to use all the games features.

Some little bumps on the way with the route planning, just some minor improvements and tweaks to make to it and it should be spot on. The STAR used to the approach was a bit weird and required a sharp 270 degree turn at the end to line up to the runway which was a bit odd. Might have to look into it to see if there is a better way.

Soldato
Great, I'd like to hear what you think!

Sorry for the delay, but tried it out briefly earlier today. Just messing about with a Cessna. Its pretty damned good with the Orbx stuff but super computer intensive. Its VERY demanding. But it was decent enough. I'm minded to try a 737-800 in it now and use the hand controllers that come with the Rift to switch the buttons on and off and things like that. It was cool, but I've got to have a play with some of the settings to make it a bit more playable and less prone to stuttering.

Soldato
OK, so I'm still having a little trouble with ILS approaches using the Zibo mod. I'm trying to do a flight from Copenhagen to Cardiff, with this route:

EKCH/30 LANGO2D LANGO M611 DEGUL DCT DHE DCT SOMPO UP999 EEL UN872
PAM UL980 IDRID UM40 RINIS M40 SABER L980 LAM L179 CPT CDF1C EGFF/30

So I set my STAR to CDF1C and select my ILS30Y as my ILS approach, so it takes me from CPT to ABDAL then to BRI but then my plane heads directly to Cardiff airport - taking the direct route, not lining up with runway 30 at all.

Can anyone point me to something I'm doing wrong here? Is there a step I've missed out? Was it all fine but I should have pushed the APP button around BRI?

Bit confused....

Soldato
OK, so I'm still having a little trouble with ILS approaches using the Zibo mod. I'm trying to do a flight from Copenhagen to Cardiff, with this route:

EKCH/30 LANGO2D LANGO M611 DEGUL DCT DHE DCT SOMPO UP999 EEL UN872
PAM UL980 IDRID UM40 RINIS M40 SABER L980 LAM L179 CPT CDF1C EGFF/30

So I set my STAR to CDF1C and select my ILS30Y as my ILS approach, so it takes me from CPT to ABDAL then to BRI but then my plane heads directly to Cardiff airport - taking the direct route, not lining up with runway 30 at all.

Can anyone point me to something I'm doing wrong here? Is there a step I've missed out? Was it all fine but I should have pushed the APP button around BRI?

Bit confused....

Are you setting the Nav frequencies and course headings for the ILS?

If not then check the charts for the approach. You can also find this info on the Fmc.

YoXJ8hz.jpg

You need to set both courses to the runway heading. And both Nav radios to the ils frequency. Once you get to approx 10 miles away you should be at the hight which is the top of the glide slope (usually around 3000ft) and are able to select approach.

I strongly suggest watching the likes of FD2S for the proper procedure. Skip to 1:20.00 for the decent and approach.

Soldato
Are you setting the Nav frequencies and course headings for the ILS?

If not then check the charts for the approach. You can also find this info on the Fmc.

YoXJ8hz.jpg

You need to set both courses to the runway heading. And both Nav radios to the ils frequency. Once you get to approx 10 miles away you should be at the hight which is the top of the glide slope (usually around 3000ft) and are able to select approach.

I strongly suggest watching the likes of FD2S for the proper procedure. Skip to 1:20.00 for the decent and approach.

Thanks for the reply. I am setting the frequency correctly, just pressing the buttons in the map view for ease, and setting course headings on the AP controls.

I started the flight from cold and dark so am wondering if I was doing something wrong or not setting something on the radio control panel between the fmcs perhaps? When I got visual of the airport, just after Bristol, I pressed the APP button but it did nothing.

One thing I've noticed that I didn't do was switch the transponder to on, would that have been the reason?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I am setting the frequency correctly, just pressing the buttons in the map view for ease, and setting course headings on the AP controls.

I started the flight from cold and dark so am wondering if I was doing something wrong or not setting something on the radio control panel between the fmcs perhaps? When I got visual of the airport, just after Bristol, I pressed the APP button but it did nothing.

One thing I've noticed that I didn't do was switch the transponder to on, would that have been the reason?

No, the transponder is a different thing entirely.

There's not a lot required for ILS to work, you need NAV1 and NAV2 frequencies set. Both Course headings set and to be appox 3000ft 10 miles out, and it should pick up the localiser and the purple diamonds should appear on the PFD as below:

sWPcNQh.jpg

If you hit APP at this point is should just follow the glideslope.

Soldato
Hmmm trial and error with me in this game!

I'll give it another go soon. I'm trying to learn but there is a lot to get the hang of. I have no idea yet what to do at airports that don't have ILS! I just manually fly it and land it somewhere on the runway

Associate
DpjePJs.jpg

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that the 13th Annual Mid Summer Madness event takes place during the weekend of 3rd/4th August at EGBB Birmingham on the VATSIM network. EGBB will be fully staffed from Delivery right up to London Control from 1100-2000 BST both days. No flight bookings - any aircraft, any time to and/or from EGBB.

Your controllers will be controlling live from a hotel conference room.

There's some prizes on offer, courtesy of Majestic Software, UK2000 Scenery and Flight1 Software - make sure to have MSMXIII or MSM13 in your flight plan remarks to be entered into the prize draw.

More details here: https://www.vatsim.net/events/mid-summer-madness-xiii

Hope to see you there.

Cheers!

Associate
Just switched to xplane from p3d and glad I made the move. Shame you cant sell in your old digital items. I've got the a2a c182, p3d itself and some of the orbs stuff, all of which I'll probably I'll probably never use again.

Back
Top Bottom