** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
Time for some virtual-reality space invaders!

After two hours of putting Project Sidekick through its paces they came across a hidden game: virtual-reality space invaders! Mission control allowed them a moment of fun.

The special effects were added later and no astronaut (or aliens) were harmed in the making of this video.

Tim explains: “Sidekick creates a virtual-reality world on the International Space Station so we can 'drop' markers, procedures or documents in one location and they will still be there if we leave the module to return later. Ground control can come into our virtual world and we can use it for doing tasks together – for example the VR world can point out exactly what switches to flip or which screws to loosen, handles to turn and even guide us to storage locations. The game was just a bit of fun where Scott and I were being attacked by aliens from all over the place and we fired our canons by squeezing our fingers together. We had to dodge their missiles hence a lot of ducking and weaving going on...much fun!”

Project Sidekick:

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...rate-to-bring-science-fiction-to-science-fact

Man of Honour
OP
We have another 360° view. Here we have the third module, Zvezda. Launched on 12 July 2000, the Russian module supplies life support for the Station and crew quarters. All five of Europe’s Automated Transfer Vehicles docked with the module:

Soldato
I'll be watching the Cygnus docking on nasa TV tomorrow morning, I assume it docks to the underside of harmony where the dragon goes?

Although it could go under unity now that the pmm is on tranquility?

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be watching the Cygnus docking on nasa TV tomorrow morning, I assume it docks to the underside of harmony where the dragon goes?

Although it could go under unity now that the pmm is on tranquility?

It will dock to the earth facing port on Unity.

Dragon SpX-8 (April 4) will then dock on Harmony. This will be the first time we will see a dual docking operation from to commercial spacecraft on the station.

Soldato
It will dock to the earth facing port on Unity.

Dragon SpX-8 (April 4) will then dock on Harmony. This will be the first time we will see a dual docking operation from to commercial spacecraft on the station.

Cool, that was my next question!

So when it comes to commercial crewed vehicles, they will use the existing pma2/old shuttle position and the space side of harmony? Is that right? The space side of unity must be obstructed by the main truss?

But while two cargo ships may be berthed from time to time there will only be one commercial crew vehicle? For the current American Crew (with one Russian doing swapsies).

So interesting.

What's a good book Cosimo? More interested in the technology and engineering of space flight than the science of space itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom