** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
agreed. Re-frowned upon, only life you like them :D
i hadnt realaised spacex had been awarded the contract.
either let it fall to the ground, crash it in to the sun or another plannet.
tbh in to the sun it an option and safer.
i'd like to have seen it be used for onelast scientif purpose, like crashing in to an opbject or sent out to deep space as a long term reseach object or platform. RTG it up with science instruments sent it straight up/verticle instead of horizontal so we can create 3 point tri-angulations. it wont need a breathable atmosphere.

Last edited:
Associate
agreed. Re-frowned upon, only life you like them :D
i hadnt realaised spacex had been awarded the contract.
either let it fall to the ground, crash it in to the sun or another plannet.
tbh in to the sun it an option and safer.
i'd like to have seen it be used for onelast scientif purpose, like crashing in to an opbject or sent out to deep space as a long term reseach object or platform. RTG it up with science instruments sent it straight up/verticle instead of horizontal so we can create 3 point tri-angulations. it wont need a breathable atmosphere.

Sending things to the sun is unbelievably difficult - Superman 4 was utter garbage due to physics being a thing…

Associate
Found it Can't remember which site had the link to the NASA ISS deorbit decision, such parking orbit, reuse, and recovery. Clear summary for normal people if I find it again I'll link it I linked it.

One imagines that a modified Dragon Capsule(s) will be used to bring it down as one or in sections.

Even to deorbit it’s still 9 tons of fuel - a lot more than I expected. In classic Kerbal fashion, I’d guess the vehicle will just be an engine, a fuel tank and a docking port…

Last edited:
Soldato
in relation to de-orbiting stuf... sooooo sun is better option :D

Found it Can't remember which site had the link to the NASA ISS deorbit decision, such parking orbit, reuse, and recovery. Clear summary for normal people if I find it again I'll link it I linked it.

One imagines that a modified Dragon Capsule(s) will be used to bring it down as one or in sections.
i had a quick skim through. they didnt discuss all options but i understand what they are getting at. de-orbit is best option for them.
also it was mentioned in : https://techcrunch.com/2024/06/26/spacex-scores-843m-nasa-contract-to-deorbit-iss-in-2030/

"SpaceX to develop a spacecraft that will de-orbit the International Space Station in 2030" so not something existing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom