** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
For my own part, I couldn't care less about a manned mission to Mars. I think we've seen too much of Mars and I think it's a shame that most space missions lately have just been pootling around our own neighbourhood like that. I want to see more of the outer planets and their moons. Send orbiters to Uranus and Neptune. Put landers down on Europa and Enceladus. You'd get a lot more science done for your buck than endlessly sending more rovers to Mars. Mars is boring. The moons of gas giants are far more interesting.

Also much harder to get to and much, much harder to get anything of any significant mass (such as a lander capable of looking for life) to safely.

If you think Mars is boring you're fooling yourself :p

Soldato
Also much harder to get to and much, much harder to get anything of any significant mass (such as a lander capable of looking for life) to safely.

If you think Mars is boring you're fooling yourself :p

Relatively boring I mean. It has been studied in quite a lot of detail now, so the mystery is gone. Titan on the other hand... we got a tantalizing glimpse of it through Huygens and there's still so much to find out. It's a far more interesting destination, and Huygens already proved it can be done.

Soldato
Relatively boring I mean. It has been studied in quite a lot of detail now, so the mystery is gone. Titan on the other hand... we got a tantalizing glimpse of it through Huygens and there's still so much to find out. It's a far more interesting destination, and Huygens already proved it can be done.

Forgive me but that just sounds a lot like layman 'speculation', which has no place in real science. "I'm bored of this so we shouldn't do it any more."

There's extremely good reasons for exploring Mars, it's the prime candidate for a (previously) habitable planet. It's also the closest. Such a great pairing, and yet we've still barely scratched the surface. We're learning new things about it every day. We can never be 'done', and we're definitely not 'done' because somebody on an internet forum said they were bored of it.

If you want to design a lander that has a low enough mass to be launched from Earth to Titan, but has enough scientific instruments to make useful readings, a reliable way of transmitting information through the atmosphere and on top of all a heatshield capable of protecting such a craft and making it come to almost a complete stop from among the highest speeds ever achieved by a manmade object them be my guest. Serionly.

And don't get me wrong, of course the outer planets are beautifully tantalizing. But it's not a case of either/or. There's physically more we're capable of doing on Mars, and we need as much intel as possible on what is quite clearly the next big step in manned space flight.

Man of Honour
OP
Crikey. It must take some horse power to shift that thing.

The crawler-transporter has a 16 traction motor transmission powered by four 1341 horsepower generators which are powered by two 2750 horsepower V16 Alco diesel engines. Additional power is also provided by two 1006 horsepower generators driven by two 1,065 horsepower engines.

Yes, lots of horsepower. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawler-transporter

Man of Honour
OP
The crawler-transporter:

CT-1 and CT-2 will not be scrapped and CT-1 is being modified so that it can handle the heavier loads that the Space Launch System (SLS) will have.

Permabanned
Forgive me but that just sounds a lot like layman 'speculation', which has no place in real science. "I'm bored of this so we shouldn't do it every day. We can never be 'done', and we're definitely not 'done' because somebody on an internet forum said they were bored of it.

Completely agree with your post.

We know jack **** about space, hell we hardly know what's at the bottom of our oceans let alone mars.I think people forget that man has only ever been on another planet/moon once before and that was decades ago.We need to start from scratch again and having a manned mission to the moon again or mars is a good start.

Soldato
I'm after the CGI video of the recently launched rover? :p to Mars. It showed you how it'd enter the atmosphere, separate and land but I can't seem to find it. :confused:

Soldato
I'm still convinced those retro rockets are going to fail and throw the little saucer landing module thing off in all sorts of directions and land upside down. :D

You're convinced? Based on what? Facts? Understanding of the principles involved? Knowledge that somebody with incredible power within the project wanted it to fail?

Because if you're convinced then you should probably get in touch with JPL, i'm sure they'd appreciate you pointing out any holes in their "math", see if they can possible do something about it at this point ;):p

Man of Honour
OP
Stratolaunch

There are new guys on the block financed by Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft). Stratolaunch are to develop a giant sized aircraft which will carry a SpaceX rocket to 30,000 feet where it would be dropped and fired into space/orbit. The aircraft is expected to begin flight testing in 2015/16 with launches soon after:

More:

http://stratolaunch.com/index.html

Man of Honour
OP
Picture of the Month - A trip down memory lane:

610213mains73228711024.jpg

Apollo 17 Extravehicular Activity - 39 Years Ago Today

39 years ago, today, scientist-astronaut Harrison H. Schmitt is photographed standing next to a huge, split lunar boulder during the third Apollo 17 extravehicular activity (EVA) at the Taurus-Littrow landing site. The Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV), which transported Schmitt and Eugene A. Cernan to this extravehicular station from their Lunar Module (LM), is seen in the background. The mosaic is made from two frames from Apollo 17 Hasselblad magazine 140. The two frames were photographed by Cernan.

Image Credit: NASA/Eugene Cernan

Man of Honour
OP
Expedition 30 Flight Engineers Oleg Kononenko, Don Pettit and Andre Kuipers are getting ready for the last major launch of the year in Kazakhstan. Their launch aboard the Soyuz TMA-03M is scheduled for Wednesday, December 21st at 13:16 GMT.

Back
Top Bottom