** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
im awake so might as well, just not the same without booster recovery. Roll on Bangabandhu-1 first block 5 which will should be rapidly reusable (within 24hours) and human rated after is it 7 flights.

however excited about tess, shame its going to take so long to deliver interesting results. But it cant do i any faster.

edit - oh they are recoverig this booster

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the bit that I'm confused by. We've already sent a number of probes to Mars over the years including Curiosity that haven't found much of real interest but as I do listen to a lot of science/space related audiobooks I'm fairly sure Mars has polar ice caps in some form or other. The water at them may well be frozen but surely, if your want to be looking signs of life past or present why aren't they landing at he polar regions or at least right on the very edge of them?

I think it's a fuel issue, it requires a large amount of fuel to change inclination and would then require more burns to establish a stable orbit before being able to land

Man of Honour
I see NASA's KRUSTY reactor had a secusfull full power up at end of march. I hope they allow this to fly in space sooner than later.
Designed to give 1-10kw for at least 10years.
Good for Mars orion drives in the outer solar system where soalr power is far to weak.

General video about it.

NASA pdf for more details and some mission concepts
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjALegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw22pHNv16bG0XPGMCtef8ih

Also no love for the blue origin launch last week?
I'm confident they will easily beat virgin Galactic.

Man of Honour
This is the bit that I'm confused by. We've already sent a number of probes to Mars over the years including Curiosity that haven't found much of real interest but as I do listen to a lot of science/space related audiobooks I'm fairly sure Mars has polar ice caps in some form or other. The water at them may well be frozen but surely, if your want to be looking signs of life past or present why aren't they landing at he polar regions or at least right on the very edge of them?

Not a good place for signs of life. Remember so far nothings been sent that can directly confirm signs of life. Ice also has to be drilled through.
Much better and easier to send stuff to known river estuaries etc to look. Another aspect is they aren't there just for life.theyre also doing geological surveys and other things. Best bang for buck.

Soldato
After all the controversy, the Flight of the Aerospike is back on course :).

Not exactly SpaceX but you can't fault their commitment, passion and determination.

Man of Honour
Getting close to the launch deadline for the day. Shame.
First Falcon 9 Block 5 too.

[edit]

Launch scrubbed.
Next window is about the same time tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Amazing binaural recordings of rocket launches. You can really hear the crackling of the thrust and the low bass rumble. Also, gunshot sonic booms as rocket boosters come down, louder in the second video.

This one isn't binaural but thunderous sound.

Soldato
I have a few audible credits to use up, can anyone reccomend anything space related please?

I've read...
Failure is not an option - Gene Kranz
Endurance - Scott Kelly
Astronauts guide to life on Earth - Chris Hadfield
Spaceman - Mike Massimino

Thanking you

Soldato
Forgive my ignorance, I simply don't have enough of a working knowledge about what Nasa and SpaceX do. But...

I know SpaceX send up supply ships to the ISS and so on, i.e. presumably helping Nasa out. Plus they are working on larger rockets such as BFR. But aren't Nasa also working on large Mars mission rockets such as the SLS and Orion? I can't seem to figure out where SpaceX fit in with missions to Mars that are being planned by Nasa.

Soldato
Forgive my ignorance, I simply don't have enough of a working knowledge about what Nasa and SpaceX do. But...

I know SpaceX send up supply ships to the ISS and so on, i.e. presumably helping Nasa out. Plus they are working on larger rockets such as BFR. But aren't Nasa also working on large Mars mission rockets such as the SLS and Orion? I can't seem to figure out where SpaceX fit in with missions to Mars that are being planned by Nasa.

Problem is with NASA working on stuff they have very small windows to get things done, otherwise, the President changes and budgets change or get cancelled, I cant even imagine how much NASA has wasted on projects that have been canned when POTUS changes..

Soldato
I am an avid follower of Nasas Houston We Have A Podcast and they often have fascinating interviews with people at the forefront of nasas latest projects, including SLS and Orion. I just can't figure out where Space X fit in, especially as they are the ones seemingly making the biggest splashes in the space travel pond, especially with their booster recovery capability.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’ve just found a three volume book about the Shuttle - Space `shuttle: Developing an Icon
Anyone got it and is it worth the money?
Only recently started to be really interested in space travel but the Shuttle has always been interesting.

Back
Top Bottom