** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Caporegime
Why would I have I said launch failed when I posted the video some time before the launch was scrubbed and the countdown was still actively ticking away? They didn't scrub until control was handed over to internal systems, at the T- 1 minute mark. Or do you think I'm some sort of seer?

I clearly didn't see it as a live post, did I? Hence my original question

Soldato
That launch just might have contained some of the best footage spacex have ever captured. Utterly stunning.

Yep, I was in awe at that tracking - insane Image quality tracking an object 65km away moving at 6000kmph. The lens on the camera must be nuts. If you pause the stream, you can see the stripes on the USA flag that's printed on the side of the 2nd stage!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That was from a ground camera? Holy crap. I thought they'd borrowed one of NASA's WB-57's for camera duties.

And the shots of the landing... Wow.

Soldato
Apart from cost, why didn't they just put them in a higher orbit ? Surely a storm like this would be calculated and the drag and resulting deorbit predicted ?

from what I’ve read, and I might be wrong, they do it for a fail safe, if a satellite fails the pre orbit checks they can dispose of them. I think the failure here was they didn’t anticipate the extra drag on them, maybe

Soldato
Scott Manley discussed tis in his latest video. Apparently the problem was they didn't have enough gyroscope force to overcome the drag and orient them satellites to extend the solar panel and fire the ion thruster. I think they miscalculated the effect of the atmosphere on their ability to orient the satellites rather than their ability to boost into the correct orbit.

Back
Top Bottom